Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

heavy equipment operating schools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heavy equipment operating schools?

Has anyone here gone to one or know if they are worth going to? i am thinking about going to one (i want to get paid to play in the dirt) but i would like some other peoples opinions, maybe someone that has gone to one. Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never been through one but for the most part if you can run one piece of epuipment, you can learn to run em all.

We have farm tractors, a backhoe, and a cat track loader here on the farm, but I worked for a friend of mine for a couple of summers when I was in highschool. I learned to run trackhoes, motor graders (the hardest thing to me to run, I was no operator, but I could move a little dirt with one), rubber tire loaders, packers, and eventually I came to rest runnin a a JD 9400 pullin 2 Miskin pans, I think the front was a 16 and the back was an 18 yard pan.

So point is, for me I dont think it is/ was necessary, but I guess that is a call you will have to make. I would imagine most of the best operators out there didnt go to school.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:02 PM

check out your local operating engineers union hall and see if they have an apprentice program
Clark
Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Chapter President

Most of the big companies around here will hire you at a low end job and if you tell them you end goal is to operate equipment they'll move you up. I know out in Arizona? New Mexico? Where Cat's place is at I believe they have a type of school, but not 100% sure. Or even if it's a school type, like go there learn or if it is just for current operators and the company sends them there kind of thing...if that makes any sense. Most of the operators I deal with day to day have only one type of training, the school of hard knocks and been doing it for 15,20 30 years. Probably the best type of training there is for that kind of job.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:09 PM

The school i am thinking about going to is in wisconsn and it teaches you how to operate 8 different machines and grade checking, cdl hasmat and a bunch of other stuff. I guess my end question is would it put me ahead of someone else that has no experience if i know how to run various machines and other stuff that pertains to job sites. I have tried to get on with a couple of companys around here and they want operator not labors so i think that this would at least give me some experience to get a job and eventually work my way up to an operator position
Old 02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

Anybody can learn how to operate any piece of equipment but it dosn't mean you're an operator. To me, you either got or you dont. Don't know of any schools, all operators i've talked to, like dodgeguy71 mentioned, they've learned it and got good with lots of experience. If you ever get the chance to see a real true operator of anything, especialy excavators and backhoes, it is just impresive and fun to watch.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:12 PM

I went to a school for it. They taught more than just running equipment, like grade reading with a laser, safety, proper transport, maintenance. Was it worth it ? Most places I went to try to get a job afterwards never heard of the place or even knew it existed, so I don't think it REALLY helped. Most of the time I practically had to beg for a job. My advice would be to get some on the job experience somewhere, even part time. I still had to find someone to work partime for before I could get a full time job. Even working on a farm helps. I think most places want on the job training anyway. Only take the classes if you can't get a foot in the door anywhere else, you might learn some stuff but you will have to pay for it, rather than being paid to learn on the job. Some places may send you to school, I went to school with a lady that was hired on for the city of Chicago I think and they paid for her schooling. Hope this helps
Old 02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hillbillymudrun
The school i am thinking about going to is in wisconsn and it teaches you how to operate 8 different machines and grade checking, cdl hasmat and a bunch of other stuff. I guess my end question is would it put me ahead of someone else that has no experience if i know how to run various machines and other stuff that pertains to job sites. I have tried to get on with a couple of companys around here and they want operator not labors so i think that this would at least give me some experience to get a job and eventually work my way up to an operator position
You would definatly be ahead of someone with no experience. Also if you took the time to educate yourself makes you look dedicated and willing to work.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM

yes all of this does help i just want to become an operator but no one wants to hire someone with no experience at all, i have ran farm equipment tractors combines swathers. but running a grader or trackhoe is going to be totlly different. I just dont want to spend all this money on a school and come out the same as i went in.

Although cluch1"Also if you took the time to educate yourself makes you look dedicated and willing to work"

that got me really thinking
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM

I am an equipment operator for a Utility. It is actually an additional duty and included with it a class "A" license was necessary to be able to transport the equipment to the job site..

For the utility it was on the job training the only real thing that does make an operator is Experience on the sticks..

I would consider myself an operator on the small loaders, and one of our backhoes.. the other equipment I am approved and "trained" on but would not consider myself proficient due to lack on time on the equipment.. I can get by and don't break stuff but I am really slow and not to smooth. There are several tricks I have not mastered and only time in the seat will make me a true operator..

If you can find someone to hire you and get seat time then Go for that.. within about 5 minutes you can tell operators from the rest.. I have sent several Hired/contracted backhoe operators off my job site due to lack of skill.

Gerry
Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 PM

No I have never been to an operating school. I am a union operator and I know there is an apprenticeship program. I think it is around 5,000 hours of training. It would also be good to find a smaller company and start out as a laborer to learn from an experienced operator. It takes many years of experience to become a GOOD operator.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Two words => SEABEE's

~Rob
Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Banned

Check the yellow pages or listen too KGON. No reason to go too Wisconson, there is an equipment operators school out passed Jantzen beach. I went there 16+ years ago. I do not remember the name but recall hearing an add on KGON last year. They taught us how to operate the machinery along with how to read and set grade. At the time they did not have track hoes or cranes.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clutch1
You would definatly be ahead of someone with no experience. Also if you took the time to educate yourself makes you look dedicated and willing to work.
Great statment. Especially the last part.

You would show up with the skills, and able to show them that you can set a goal, dedicate yourself, and work twards it.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Grade checking experience is a big plus . I took a correspondence school in highway engineering . Grade checking is simple but companies are always looking for someone that can read plans and set grade . It didn't take all day setting grade so they let me get experience running scrapers and dozers . That wasn't a union job though . Apprenticeship is great if you can get it but around here union work is pretty slow .

Quick Reply: heavy equipment operating schools?