Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Heads up to Texas P/U drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that in Texas you have to be 18 to not wear a helmet. And by that age they hope you are smart enough to.

What is the big deal about wearing a seatbelt? Sure, it's YOUR truck and YOU can decide whether or not to wear a seatbelt, but YOU can also speed because it's YOUR truck. Both are against the law, and if you are a good driver you might not have as many accedents as others. But YOU'RE thinking of just what YOU want to do and how it effects YOU. YOU'RE not thinking about all the dumb people on the roads that when YOU'RE speeding you have to react faster to avoid. Just like YOU'RE not thinking about that dumb person that might pullout in front of YOU and YOU might fly out of YOU'RE truck and faceplant into a tree. Now some moron has killed YOU and feels terrible and since nobody depends on YOU somebody else is gonna foot the bill.

So, I think that other people are effected by your decision, it just depends on how you look at it. Sure none of those things might happen, but if they do you would wish you had a seatbelt on.

If you're thinking the only thing you do wrong is no helmet or no seatbelt, and you have the right because it's your truck or bike think of this.

#1 Your on THEIR street that they maintain(yes tax dollars pay but not just yours) so you should listen or have crappy roads.

#2 It is you're gun (if you own one) and they tell you not to shoot people in the face. Well should you be able to because it's YOU'RE gun?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally Posted by robert chilton
Man my 60 chevy pick up didnt have them. It did have the new for 1960 turn signals though. Also came with the $13 passenger side sun visor. GM did skimp on the back up lights also. Man the good old days. No belts, a metal dash that didnt crack, single cylander master cylander for the brakes, and a V8 with a stick. How has it ever made for 46 years??
You don't appreciate a cup holder?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:54 PM

Yeah...saw a PSA on that last night for MO.....its up here too....click it or ticket.......
Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Just don't ask him about a certain Va State "Bear" who has a 'thing' for trucks with stacks.............
Old 05-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Well, I was on the way to work this evening and about two miles up the road from the plant, a car (who's driver had his seat belt on) and a motorcyclist (who has his helmet on) tangled and the results were not good for one of them at all. SO the helmet did what in this case? Oh yeah, made the shop that sold it some REVENUE.........
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

It kept the gray matter in one generalized area.

phox
Old 05-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It made it possible to have an "Open Casket" funeral.

Had one here over the weekend too.
Husband & Wife on a motorcycle both killed when a "Killer Q-Tip" made a left turn across their path.
80 something Granny in her Lincoln was charged, Man and Wife are still just as dead.

I'm sure Granny had her seatbelt on, and Virginia is a mandatory helmet state.
Looks like it saved the state money in ink and paper preventing the responding officer from having to write citations for seat belt & helmet infractions.

BTW: the Click It or Ticket program is being done in the Washington Metro area with Pickups being targeted too.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:33 PM

Redleg. I like my cup holders. Then again I can hang the handle on my travel mug off the ash tray Solid an safe at all speeds vs crumple zones with less whip lash. That is a tuff one. Guess I will have to swap a cummins in that old truck one day and have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
It kept the gray matter in one generalized area.
phox
From what the EMT guys said, I'm not too sure it even did that.
Terrible way to start out an evening. Young fellow too.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Motorcycle helmets won't save every life, but they are one more element of protection in what is obviously a risky environment. I've seen enough situations where a rider went down hard enough to crack the helmet shell but still was able to survive an accident to convince me of the value of a good helmet. YMMV.

Rusty
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

I realize we are off the subject again, but it is the difference in an open and a closed casket.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:18 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Many years ago my youngest son bought a large bike and borrowed my full face helmet. A couple of weeks after that a woman turned in front of him and as it was raining he could not stop. He told me that he laid the bike down as I had taught him and both slid into the van she was driving. The bike ended up under the van and the van had to be lifted up to remove the destroyed bike. He also slid into the van and ended up with some sever bumps and bruises, including on his face, but nothing broken. My helmet was destroyed. To this day I am thankful that I had bought a top of the line helmet as a cheapie would not have saved his life.
Yes folks, helmets and seat belts DO save lives. Wear 'em and shut up. Of course there are always the exceptions and I get really ticked off when folks use these exceptions to say belts and helmets don't work.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Motorcycle helmets won't save every life, but they are one more element of protection in what is obviously a risky environment. I've seen enough situations where a rider went down hard enough to crack the helmet shell but still was able to survive an accident to convince me of the value of a good helmet. YMMV.

Rusty

I agree with this.....my bud just trashed his '01 Shadow in Dec when a dude pulled out in front of him on a 2 lane road. My friend was going about 50 MPH when he had to lay the bike down. The bike hit the car and he glanced off the bike into the ditch 20 or so feet down the road. He cracked his helmet. ONLY THING THAT HE HURT WAS HIS ANKLE!!!! He fractured it. Heck, he even walked to the ambulance........he was VERY lucky! The paramedics were amazed that he was not hurt more, from the way the bike looked…....
Old 05-24-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah....It's America...I'll wear the fruitin' thing if I want to. I don't wear it in my truck and I don't wear a helmet on my Harley either. I don't have kids to depend on my life and I'm a big boy now....I make my own decisions. The cops can find something to do with their time other than be baby sitters for the people who's worst offese in their life is to not wear a belt. There are kids all over town who smoke pot. Kids breaking into the stores around here stealing beer and cigarettes. Get off your seat cushions and do something about THAT and quit following Grandpa Jones around in his 53 Chevy truck doing 45 mph and scolding him for not wearing a stupid seat belt. My father owns/operates a wrecker service and I grew up on the highway with him. I've seen more accidents than the average person and I can tell you that speed and un-educated drivers kill folks, not some stupid nylon strap that isn't worn. That law is as bogus as the jerk that made the law that shuts off the fuel pumps in this state at $75. I'd like to smash both their marbles! Wow. I feel better. Now I can get back to work. It just gives me a rash. Is this America? Last time I looked it was. Me sitting my fat butt in my truck has nothing to do with anyone but me....therefore, it is my choice. Alright...I'll stop....it just makes me sick.
You're right, It is America and you can do as you want. But...... I'll bet that if you're in an accident and disabled for life you will expect to receive SS payments for you and your family. I think that gives the government the right make laws to protect you from yourself.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cville6
You're right, It is America and you can do as you want. But...... I'll bet that if you're in an accident and disabled for life you will expect to receive SS payments for you and your family. I think that gives the government the right make laws to protect you from yourself.
I think you are wrong! I'll only expect to receive what I paid into it, not to live off others that work their butts off for their entire lives to support those who won't provide for themselves. That's another issue. I'll NEVER ask for anything that I didn't EARN....that is more than I can say for the rest of the nation! I'll never expect others to pay for my mistakes, whether they are in fact mistakes or not, just like I don't expect to pay for others mistakes. I may be young and don't see the big picture, but that is how I feel about it. 32 years of this place and I have a lot of soap boxes about it. Granted, it is still the best place in the world to live....I won't deny that....but I have had it with the bull corn about seat belts, gun control, and a variety of other nonsense.

I'm going to start sending my racoon after them! Be scared...be very scared!!!

Peace!

Quick Reply: Heads up to Texas P/U drivers