Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Heads up to Texas P/U drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Heads up to Texas P/U drivers

Not sure if this is discrimination or not but:
'Click It Or Ticket' Campaign To Focus On Certain Drivers

The "Certain Drivers" the link refers to are Pickup drivers (I believe that applies to a few of us around here)

You've been warned,
~Rob
Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
"Profiling"..........
Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally Posted by hotdram
Not sure if this is discrimination or not but:
'Click It Or Ticket' Campaign To Focus On Certain Drivers

The "Certain Drivers" the link refers to are Pickup drivers (I believe that applies to a few of us around here)

You've been warned,
~Rob
You don't buckle? They're not focussing on just you, it's a nation wide drive for the summer. They're giving all the local stations news releases to put out. You'll even see them parked all over one area, with one standing out with his light on to advertise the enforcement area. A spotter calls out to cars on stand-by to catch offenders. They're job is to encourage use. If you're dumb or bold enuff to get caught with all the publicity and visibilty, THEn comes enforcement. No, don't blame the police for wasteing time and money. All the money is comeing from the Dep. of Transportation.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:49 PM

got snagged by one of those a few years ago....its a racket IMO, but, so it goes i suppose
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg
You don't buckle?
My vehicle doesn't move until everyone in it has "belted themselves"

~Rob
Old 05-22-2006, 02:16 PM

They are doing the same thing here in Florida.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM

Actually, I believe he is talking about the commercial that has the f150(i think) rolling over. It says that pickups are twice as likely to roll than cars. Then it says the click it or ticket thing. Course' it could be something completely different
Old 05-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redleg
You don't buckle? They're not focussing on just you, it's a nation wide drive for the summer. They're giving all the local stations news releases to put out. You'll even see them parked all over one area, with one standing out with his light on to advertise the enforcement area. A spotter calls out to cars on stand-by to catch offenders. They're job is to encourage use. If you're dumb or bold enuff to get caught with all the publicity and visibilty, THEn comes enforcement. No, don't blame the police for wasteing time and money. All the money is comeing from the Dep. of Transportation.
I know that seat belts save lives. I know that I stand a lot better chance of walking away from an otherwise fatal accident. I always try to buckle up, sometimes I do forget for a minute or two after starting to roll. I think it’s a very good practice. But it just makes me madder than a wet hen that the government tells me that I have to wear it.
Redleg you need to rewrite your statement, their job is not to encourage the use of seatbelts. Their job is to generate revenue.
Not trying to start bashing, I work for a city and I know that the way I wrote your statement is truer.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:23 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

The only real problem I have with campaigns like this is most cops find it safer to overenforce traffic laws than to look for real criminals.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here in Virginia. It's a revenue issue. Why else would they care if you wear a belt or not?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:04 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Yes, it may be something to produce revenue, but let me play the devils advocate for a few minutes.
Let's say you do NOT buckle up and then you have a serious accident. Who pays for the cleanup afterwards? Who pays for the ambulance, who pays to wash the blood off the roads, who pays for the extra police work for the investigation, and much much more. Do any of you know the statistics of people who have died after been thrown out of a vehicle because they were not buckled up? I will not even get into the needless, stupid injuries that are caused by failing to buckle up. It is impossible to place a price on the heartache, the family stress and much more because of some idiots failure to buckle up and then getting himself and/or his family needlessly injured.
Don't get me started on those dummies whose attitude is, "it's my life and my vehicle, so I can do what I want". What a stupid, selfish, crazy etc attitude!!!!
Better stop before I get wound up, but hope some of you get the point.
Oh, BTW, do yourself and your family a favor - buckle up!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:19 PM

I side with big foot on this one. It doesnt matter what the consequences are, good or bad. I see this as more of an issue with the govt needs to stay out of my life. I honestly dont care about the seatbelt issue as its only a fine but feel the govt could do so much more for us by spending the money to better the country. If it really saves that much money let the insurance companies back the program by spending their money. Lord knows they are getting rich off my premiums! I know the I 10 through louisiana could use some of those highway dollars. Not to mention other civic programs if the feds want to play increase the national debt.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 PM

you insurance premimums only pay so much.. look at your pollicy.. Then the government has to step in and pay your hospital bill. Then of course you have all the uninsured drivers.

Tramua centers are going broke and closing because of lack of payment, Once you are in the hospital they can't let you out or transfer you till your stable.. So now there are less trauma centers and it takes longer to get the needed medical attention.. IT"S not all about you!!!.. it affects everyone.

Another is the kids... If you don't buckle your kids they weigh less and are smaller. They get thrown around if not out of the car alot more..

Not to mention when you die on the highway (especially he in los angeles) they shut down the freeway for the invertigation and there is millions of dollars lost to the working class guy that is late to work and not paid.

So when I have to sit on the freeway for 3 hours loosing money DON'T tell me it is your life... you are affecting everyones life around you...
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Gerry I agree with ya to an extent but also disagree. I find it hard to belief they shut down the interstate in LA. They never shut down the I5 that I can remember while I was in San D. You couldnt even get the cops to show up for an accident. I think there is alot more to trauma center closings than seatbelt injuries but going into any more depth will get this thread locked down. Insurance companies and the border come to mind. I will agree to disagree.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 PM

I have to agree that the seatbelts are not the only cause of the trauma centers closing down but they help.. If I mention the welfare state of california they will send us to the political section board or whatever it is...

When there is a fatality they do shut the freeway down for the investigation and it takes a couple of housr before they partially open the freeway.. Thank goodness that with the safety of our newer vehicles it only happens 1 every or every other month..

Seatbelts are just a small part of a bigger problem. But we have to start somewhere.. Seatbelts, Helmets, speeding, nascar style lane changes..

Quick Reply: Heads up to Texas P/U drivers