Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Have a medical question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a medical question

Guys

i woke up this morning and i realized that I had a strange lump right above the belly button on the right hand side of my body. Its just a little bulge, about the size of a dime... however i feel no pain when i press it, but i do feel discomfort, Im not certain as towards what it is, a hernia possibly? I find it strange that a couple of days ago it wasnt there, and now it is..

Obviously i want to go see a Dr, im workin on getting my customs thing worked on and the last thing that I want is a strange lump that will get me dismissed from customs and my dream of workin for the government and my country...

Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? Im more nervous as towards what it is than anything else....

Please help me if at all possible, and thanks for your time in reading this...

Respectfully

Rick
Old 11-07-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
More than likely it is an abdominal hernia, or a "fatty" (non malignant) tumor. Get to a Dr. and they can take care if it. It will not effect your employment opportunities.

Just relax, take two aspirins.

That will be $129 please.

What do I know? I'm a proctologist!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A fatty tumor was gonna be my guess. My Dr told me not to worry about it, no danger, unless it is causing discomfort or it bugs you, he reccomends not messing with them, as they are not a big deal at all...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hold on, Rick!!!! I'm having a team of navy doctors pour over this post... Stand by for diagnosis!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 AM

Here is your public service announcment for the day.

Guys please go to the Dr. and get checked out, regularly!
I thought I was bullet proof too. They found tumors in my throat and its spreading.

Just go once a year at least. And you old dudes they only need blood now so you don't have to do the cough test.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

My doc concurs with everyone else, (not that I didn't believe you fellas, I agreed when I read it!), that it is a hernia. Not too much to worry about, like everyone else said, but do get it checked out, due to the fact that it is part of your intestine poking out. I asked my doc if it was ok just to put a little duct tape on it to keep it from getting any bigger... not quite a positive response. She asked if it reduced (got smaller) when you stand up?

Hope you're ok.
madhat
Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned

Ok Rick I reread my post, and I definately agree you should have it checked out by a real doctor. It kinda sounds like I was saying not to worry. You better take care of yourself bud, so you can get your government job. Accomplishing a ream is the greatest feeling in the world! But I tend to freak out when I think something might be wrong, my mother is the most pessimistic person I know, and I get it from her
Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

[QUOTE=displacedtexan;1199004]... Accomplishing a ream is the greatest feeling in the world! ...

Ream? Steers and what?

Sorry, tex, I could not help myself... my fingers practically typed this by themselves. Feel free to fire back...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madhat
My doc concurs with everyone else, (not that I didn't believe you fellas, I agreed when I read it!), that it is a hernia. Not too much to worry about, like everyone else said, but do get it checked out, due to the fact that it is part of your intestine poking out. I asked my doc if it was ok just to put a little duct tape on it to keep it from getting any bigger... not quite a positive response. She asked if it reduced (got smaller) when you stand up?

Hope you're ok.
madhat
Hernia.

thanks for wishin me to be ok, i feel fine, but i best take care of this before it gets worse... i can poke at this thing and it feels squishy, sorta like a deer bein field dressed when u press on the intestines... SO it must be a hernia...

Anyways, im still worried, i hope it dont affect me for customs or anything else, will i still be able to do my normal activities? wrenching, roping, horses, and all else?

PS thanks for gettin the dr's on this..

Thanks guys

Rick
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Hernia.
I still want my money!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Banned

Ream? Steers and what?

Sorry, tex, I could not help myself... my fingers practically typed this by themselves. Feel free to fire back...
Well I suck at typing! Especially when I'm in a hurry!

Just call me barndon

Originally Posted by Geico266
I still want my money!
I bet you get his right after you get it from P.J.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Id be watching for an alien to pop out of your stomach.

Rich
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm no medical expert, but from what I understand the only major risk of a hernia like that is that it could get strangulated, meaning the blood supply to the protruding bowel could get cut off. I think above the belly button would be called an Epigastric hernia?

Anyhow, if it were me I wouldn’t loose sleep about it, but I’d go see a doctor right away. I’d guess you might be looking at a minor surgery for some stitches or mesh to close the defect, followed by no heavy lifting for a little while…

Looking in a medical reference book I have lying around says that epigastric hernias may not require treatment if it causes no problems, otherwise surgical repair will require 1 or 2 weeks of taking it easy.

Bottom line, I guess, is don't sweat it, but don't delay in getting to a doctor.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:49 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Hold on, Rick!!!! I'm having a team of navy doctors pour over this post... Stand by for diagnosis!!!!!!!
So, did the naval doctors find anything?