Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: has the price of Diesel/gas made you drive less?
yes
64.01%
no
27.34%
whats Gas?
8.65%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Have Diesel/gas prices made you drive less

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i drive to school and this summer, the four wheeler is going to be used to drive 3/4 mile to the farm where i work. i can usually get 3 weeks to about 2 gal of gas. if it gets higher, i am going to walk!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Smile I am forced to drive this....

I have to drive this....it does get 25 mpg, even at a 100 mph.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Chapter President

I said no, but that's kinda hard to answer. I live out in the boonies so anything for me is a drive.....except the kids school. Work is 42 miles each way, no mopeding that on the interstate. I'm also trying or have been trying to start a business and was getting ahead and things were falling into place....still are but the truck is my mobile welding/equipment hauler so that cut's into my bottom line and it just keeps getting worse.

I plan my travel out more, let the truck sit unless it is going out to make me money or it will lead to making money, will take it to tractor pulls, easier to sit on flatbed than on trunk of car. I set the cruise at 68 or 70 let all the nutjobs fly on by.

Yep, gas/diesel prices suck, wheres my raise? I feel for all the independent truckers out there. How the heck you supposed to cover this quick of a jump in fuel prices. When I bought my truck 2 years and a month ago I think it was around $1.50 or so a gallon for diesel...now it's just shy of $4.00, a $2.50 jump in 2 years. Probably would have helped if we had some forsite back in the 70's during the first fuel/gas crunch and someone with the stones to say, "hey oil won't last forever, how about we start now". I know, someones gonna say, we did'nt have the technology back in the 70's. Wait a minute, we had already had men on the moon...., nukes, nuclear reactors, did'nt have the technology my butt, did'nt have people looking forward into the future planning for things that would come. Big oil buying up votes or some kind of funny business going on......

So even though I said no I'm not driving less, in my mind I'm saying yes I need or wish I could drive less but unless I want to take a $6.00 pay cut to hopefully find a job out here I can't. Maybe back in the 70's we should have started to work on a reliable safe rail transportation system, trains and subways that come from the small towns, kind of like the Europeans and the Japanese. Did'nt need a whole lot of technology for that. I was only a few years old back then so I had no vote to give or voice to be heard.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Truck is parked unless I need to drive it, hauling something, fishing, camping ect. Otherwise I am driving my 07 Chager R/T as gas is much cheaper than diesel.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM

Men with money is what is driving the high fuel prices,not demand(reduced since this time last year).You can't expect someone to set their own supply and remain honest about it.If I am in the business of selling eggs and can sell 1/2 dz for $4 or 1 dz for $5,why sell more if I make more money selling less.Unless an outside body steps in to keep them honest it will continue to go this way,they've seen the profits and have no intention of being realistic.It may not be hurting too badly yet,but give it time and we'll all start to feel the crunch.I don't worry about the commuter at the pump,I worry about the transportaion industry and the added costs being passed on at the checkout line.The collapse and loss of companies that we all rely on to eat,to work,and so on...where and when does it end and who will step forward and say when it's enough.Investors with the fat wallets are going to keep driving the markets and the average guy is going to take it in the back.
Oh well,enough ranting,yeah....I drive a 5 spd Neon now(35 mpg) and parked the truck unless I have a weld job or need to go somewhere with the wife and 4 kids,then we all pile into the truck and drive slow and easy.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mnmlod

My truck hasn't left the spot in this picture for 3 weeks.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:24 PM

I drive my car mostly now.. but thats just cause its perfect convertible weather..

I did the math and the truck only costs about $120 a month more to drive in fuel.. (40 miles a day 5 days a week). Not really worth worrying about which vehicle to drive IMO, so once it starts getting too hot (100+) ill start driving the truck again.

Compared to everything else to me, fuel isn't that high of a bill.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:05 PM

I paid $4.45/9 today at the cheapest place in town. Central Coast, Ca.
I definately group work and errands together nowadays.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM

Kinda wish I had mine up here....Mine is a 69 911E, Its in my garage in Idaho, has been sitting for 12 years, I need to have it rebuilt as I know the gaskets have dried an fuel system is most likely clogged from old fuel...One of these days I'll make a trip south, and take it to a shop.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Kinda wish I had mine up here....Mine is a 69 911E, Its in my garage in Idaho, has been sitting for 12 years, I need to have it rebuilt as I know the gaskets have dried an fuel system is most likely clogged from old fuel...One of these days I'll make a trip south, and take it to a shop.
I really like the older Porsches. All of the little bits of chrome and not too " blingy " either. Just a classy looking car. Come on, get it out of storage. It needs to be driven!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:57 PM

i know it kills you to have to drive that.

No i haven't decreased my driving any. I drive approximately 50 miles to work but that is only every 3 days. i live in the middle of no where and for me to get into a town that has anything in it i have a 20 mile ride. i've thought about buying a ranger or something like that (it would double as a hunting ride so i don't have to put the goat in the woods anymore) but by the time i pay tag insurance and buy it its not worth my time. so for now i'm gonna keep paying 4 dollars a gallon for diesel.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by gafirefighter
i know it kills you to have to drive that.

No i haven't decreased my driving any. I drive approximately 50 miles to work but that is only every 3 days. i live in the middle of no where and for me to get into a town that has anything in it i have a 20 mile ride. i've thought about buying a ranger or something like that (it would double as a hunting ride so i don't have to put the goat in the woods anymore) but by the time i pay tag insurance and buy it its not worth my time. so for now i'm gonna keep paying 4 dollars a gallon for diesel.
Well, I am just trying to do my part for conservation and all.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
No, I don't seem to be doing any less driving than normal.My daily driver is a diesel VW and I consider my truck to be very economical for its weight and power. Some of my old half-ton gassers used twice or more fuel than this one uses, and if I was still driving one of them I'd be driving less but I don't do as much frivolous driving as I'd like to anyway. If I'm driving somewhere, it's because I need to be there. (That goes for the campsite too, starting next month.)
Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ramlovingvet
I drive a henway
About 5 or 6 pounds?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM

I went and bought a Saturn at the Auction to use as a commuter car and save $480.00 in fuel costs and that includes the insurance for the car. Truck is used for hauling, camping and a spare vehical now.