Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

This has slowed me down

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has slowed me down

With all the varying people and experience on this site I just thought I would ask.
Back on Aug12 I had some major surgery due to a “bleb” they had to remove part of my right lung.
I was just wondering how many or if anyone has had this type of surgery (open chest) and how long the recovery time for you was?
All in all I can’t complain but I really do feel like I’m on the sidelines. The doctor says I’m doing great but I can tell that I’m a long way from 100%.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, surgery and injury recovery seems to always go in 3's. Takes 3 days before you feel human again. After 3 weeks you feel good enough to attempt to do things you still shouldn't be doing... then over do it and your body gives you a reminder of what you just went through. Three months, you're mostly your self again with maybe an occasional moan and groan if everything was done properly the first time.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Urban Legend

Originally Posted by Redleg
For me, surgery and injury recovery seems to always go in 3's. Takes 3 days before you feel human again. After 3 weeks you feel good enough to attempt to do things you still shouldn't be doing... then over do it and your body gives you a reminder of what you just went through. Three months, you're mostly your self again with maybe an occasional moan and groan if everything was done properly the first time.
Well I’ve had the 3 days (on morphine) I felt no pain just did not care if I lived or died. Woke up on the fourth morning and told myself no more and have never had a worse day was so sick I could not hold my head up. I think I have an idea what a junky is going though.
Working on the 3 week deal.I’ve had knee surgeries X4 and hand, foot and a few others but this one laid me out. I guess it was because they were digging around inside where the important stuff is located.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigfoot
With all the varying people and experience on this site I just thought I would ask.
Back on Aug12 I had some major surgery due to a “bleb” they had to remove part of my right lung.
I was just wondering how many or if anyone has had this type of surgery (open chest) and how long the recovery time for you was?
All in all I can’t complain but I really do feel like I’m on the sidelines. The doctor says I’m doing great but I can tell that I’m a long way from 100%.
Wow, I didn't know you had anything scheduled, you didn't clear this with us first.

I can't answer your question, (tho it seems Don has!), but I wish you a speedy recovery! Keep us posted on your progress please.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess age has something do with it...

Haven t had many surgeries, but I was up and feeling great days after my last one (sleeve gastrectomy), and doing (more than I should have) a week and a tad out...

I do have a high tolerance for stuff like that, despite what chaikwa may think.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
In junior high,they showed us the removal of a cancerous lung. I still vividly remember it. You'll be sore for awhile. I never smoked after seeing that presentation. Too pc to show that to kids anymore,I'm sure. Best of luck. You will recover.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your body can live without knee's or limbs and in most cases will adjust rapidly. However major surgery such as on your lung throws your system into chaos, you should not expect to be 100% for many many months, and in some cases, (dependent on the circumstances for the surgery),well over a year.

I would expect that you are still in the hospital since they are still administering morphine?

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and healthy recovery.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Urban Legend

I would expect that you are still in the hospital since they are still administering morphine?

No I took myself of the dope after 3 days and I have been out of the hospital for 5 days.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 AM

You SHOULD take something for the pain. Motrin if anything. Trying to toughen out the pain will hinder the healing process. Your body will be stressed and when stressed, creates hormones and bad things that interfere with recovery. Motrin also fights inflamation, which will help it heal quicker too, when inflamed, the tiny blood vessels trying to grow in have trouble getting started.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Urban Legend

Originally Posted by Redleg
You SHOULD take something for the pain. Motrin if anything. Trying to toughen out the pain will hinder the healing process. Your body will be stressed and when stressed, creates hormones and bad things that interfere with recovery. Motrin also fights inflamation, which will help it heal quicker too, when inflamed, the tiny blood vessels trying to grow in have trouble getting started.
Did that (a few Advil) at this point I’m pretty much pain free. Just no stamina doc has me walking about a mile / day. He has told me I can go back to work on the 30th with restrictions and will remove the restrictions after I see him on the 9th. Still feels like I’m in low gear.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 AM

One more thing comes to mind, this sort of thing can trigger dpression, seemingly without reason. Sometimes a person needs to bite the bullet and take a pill for it to break out of the cycle. It can become progressive and rob you of all your motivation without you realizing it's happening. Maybe they have offered depression medication to you already? If so you might take a try.
It's standard for them to offer it if you're in the hospital for some time. The doctor got outright annoying offering it to me. After a few weeks, I did end up needing to give it a try a few times. I could sense I was getting to "use" to being in the hospital and do want to go to physiacl therapy or leave the room and I was somebody that had previously worked out every day, sometimes twice. Actually just talking about it here may even be enough to keep the edge off for ya.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Urban Legend

Well I don’t feel that I’m depressed. Just am very curious about the recovery time. I need /want to get back to my life as it was before surgery. Things are just moving really slow as far as me lifting, pulling and doing general farm work, at least in my mind.
I guess I just need to give it some time. Oh well a cold adult beverage while watching my wife mow the yard should help.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your age and the fact you now have one lung smaller than the other means you have diminished lung capacity. the skinny on it is this, less lung= less O2 perfusion= getting tired faster and sooner with longer recovery times in between chores. You can recover from this but it takes time for your body to compensate. You should prepare yourself to expect this, it will help you overall. Crawl, baby steps, walk, run a little, you get the picture.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Urban Legend

I’m getting the idea, this time is not like the other small insignificant surgeries that I have had in the past ( Madhat are you paying attention) I’ll just keep plugging away and I’ll get back to where I need to be or at least as close as this ole worn out body will allow.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

only surgery I have had is lasik. man thats a freaky experience. you're awake, hear everything, smell everything, see nothing...

Quick Reply: This has slowed me down