Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hard Drive Backup/Clone/Ghost

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard Drive Backup/Clone/Ghost

I keep all of my documents and pics backed up on two external hard drives. Yesterday, I went ahead and bought another internal hard drive. What is the best way to to keep an exact copy of the primary drive? In other words, if the primary crashes, how do I keep and exact plug-and-play copy on the second drive?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mirror your primary HD. There is software out there that will set up the new HD to mirror the primary HD. It will take a bit of research on your part. It also depends on the system you have and what operating system you are running.
Post what you end up doing.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Chapter President

Thanks, I have looked at mirror before, but didn't think to look at it this time.

For now, I have used the "Clone" program that came with the Maxtor drive. I'm sure it will work, but it is not a "mirror" image. When I make my final decision, I'll post the results.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 AM

Get a RAID controller and have a REAL mirror of the drive, real time, all the time. If a drive takes a dump, you keep on truckin'.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by I PASS GAS
Get a RAID controller and have a REAL mirror of the drive, real time, all the time. If a drive takes a dump, you keep on truckin'.
You may already have this if you have SATA on your Motherboard. Two Identical Drives running RAID 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by haloman
You may already have this if you have SATA on your Motherboard. Two Identical Drives running RAID 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Hmmmm.....RAID......something I know nothing about. How do I check to see if I have RAID?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Hmmmm.....RAID......something I know nothing about. How do I check to see if I have RAID?
haloman was right, you may already have it. Most newer computers are using SATA dtives, and the boards already have RAID capability built in. If the interface between your motherboard and hard drive look like the one below, and you have more than one connector on your motherboard for hard drives, there is a very good chance you can run a RAID configuration. In most cases, all you need to do is have two identical drives, find the RAID configuration utility from your motherboard manufacturer, and tell it which two drives you want to mirror.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

That's what I have. Now to dig around and see if I can find the program.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 PM

Is your main concern just wanted to ensure you keep all your programs and o/s in tact so you dont have to set everything up again? RAID 1 would be your easiest "set it and forget it" method.

Then you only have to worry about motherboard failure, raid controller failure, logical/file system errors, theft, fire, acts of god and overvoltage. .. all of which shouldn't be a big worry if its just an o/s and apps and time you are trying to save, and no real data.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Timmay2
Then you only have to worry about motherboard failure, raid controller failure, logical/file system errors, theft, fire, acts of god and overvoltage. .. all of which shouldn't be a big worry if its just an o/s and apps and time you are trying to save, and no real data.

I haven't had all of those happen, but have had a few of them over the years.

I have TWO external HD's that I keep the pics and documents backed up on. Since my biggest failure over the years has been HD failures, I like the RAID idea. Since I know I have SATA, how is the best way to check to see if I have RAID? Is it in the bios?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Chapter President

Is your computer bought or built? You can check in your BIOS but there should documentation that tell you. If not then lookup your motherboard model online. If you have a DELL you can type your "Service Tag" number in at support.dell.com and find out all the details of your computer.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Chapter President

It's a 3 YO Compaq. It may be tomorrow, but I'll check the BIOS and post what I kind. Thanks for all the info.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Chapter President

The wife is moving slow this morning (gonna be late again), so I went and checked the BIOS.

It didn't say anything about RAID, but it did indicate the "SATA Adapter" was "Enabled". Is there any way to tell if it is using both HD's?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Chapter President

Ok now you just have to get the software for your MOBO and see if you can setup RAID.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Chapter President

OK. I'll get the MB info off Belarc Advisor and check it out......later.

Quick Reply: Hard Drive Backup/Clone/Ghost