Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Had a rough weekend (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Had a rough weekend (long)

I know we're in tornado alley, but we don't see em very often. As a matter of fact, this is my 1st time experiencing (and seeing) a tornado.
Friday night 11 20pm i get a rude awakening. Hour before when I went to bed it was calm outside, too calm. I wake up to the sound of heavy, heavy wind and my storm door slamming, no power, lightning and thunder is going crazy, I can hear trees exploding and I'm eyeing my truck outside, praying nothing takes it out. It rolled my Rhino 10 ft, but it was in neutral, Thank God it didn't pick it up. Whats crazy is the whining i'm hearing, when you're alone i don't care who you are, its a little scary!!! Got one of my dogs in the house, the other is nowhere to be found... i got my sister calling me on the cell, it busted out there bedroom windows and threw glass all over the bed, again Thank God they were already out of bed and in another room. My parents are deaf mute, so i know they're freaking out at their house, so I'm going crazy trying to calm myself down. After about 30 mins, the wind calms, tornado was gone quite some time before but the wind still raged on. I've got cows so the 1st thing i do is get outside and go looking for em. They were ok, but you could tell they were freaked out too, because they were scattered in different parts of the property. next morning we inspect the damage. Lots of downed trees, but no terrible house damage. All in all, everything is ok, but it ruined all this weekends plans and had me laboring all day yesterday and today cleaning up. I couldn't even imagine how bad the states north of me get...this was bad enough for me.

The trampoline used to reside to the left of that trailer house. It got carried some 150ft towards my house, but stopped in the pasture.

The carport was anchored, but that didn't stop anything. the carport also had a part that was the makeshift chicken coupe. imagine being a chicken watch that lift off of you!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had to experience that, and never hope to. The important thing is that everyone is safe. The property can, and I am sure will be fixed in due time. If there is anything that I can do, be sure to let me know. Sorry for your situation.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:16 AM

Rick,

Glad you are ok! Mother Nature can pack a powerful punch. I had 5 sections of my wooden fence blown down a while back, but it didn't compare to your damage here. Especially your trees! Somebody was looking over you.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer man. I'm glad it wasn't much worse. All we got was just a lot of lightning and little rain.
Do you have chainsaws and other stuff for the cleanup?

MikeyB
Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
DTR question asker

Glad to hear that you are ok. Scary!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
We missed out on all the wind damage from that on Friday night. A few heavy straight line gusts when it started, but it was mostly just rain and hail (pea to marble).

We had a couple of trees popped by lightning, but nothing serious.

I talked to our neighbor who works for BEC. He said Washington County got the worst of it for the BEC area, they were out from midnight Friday to noon on Saturday patching things up.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 AM

Severe Weather

Rick,
Glad you're ok. We've had a rough spring up here in the Metroplex and it aint even May. I was watching the line of storms on the radar when it hit central Texas. Luckily it blew up south of DFW, we just got hammered the Wednesday before.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks guys for the support. Yeah, we have chainsaws and polesaws, just don't know about energy....its been rough cleaning up, especially considering all the limbs and wood is soaken wet!!! Got everything piled up, man there were so many limbs to cut just to make it look better. we got about another inch of rain yesterday morning, so can't pick the piles up cause they're in the yard and my mom will flip if I rut the yard up!

AggieJustin, Yeah i seen Bluebonnet out here too. We get serviced from Brenham but pay Giddings... I noticed my property out in Ledbetter didn't catch much, just some rain. But Giddings is known for getting all the weather we don't!!! Are you currently living in giddings right now?

TEXAGS'98, I couldn't even begin to imagine what you have to go through...had a buddy live in dallas for 2 weeks before the weather got to him (it was snowing, and we don't see none of that here unless we're lucky!).
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM

ive had bad day today also I know how you feel. glad to hear you are getting it cleaned up and everyone is ok
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM

Wow bud, glad your ok. Can't imagine what that would be like, listening to the sound of a freight train running through your yard. We rarely get tornados here, but small ones do touch down on occasion, never had one close enough to home to see it or the effects. Been through a couple nasty hurricanes in my youth though. Those are fun.....
Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rip 112
AggieJustin, Yeah i seen Bluebonnet out here too. We get serviced from Brenham but pay Giddings... I noticed my property out in Ledbetter didn't catch much, just some rain. But Giddings is known for getting all the weather we don't!!! Are you currently living in giddings right now?
Nah, I live in Carrollton right now. I've got land just west of Giddings and I was there this weekend working on some stuff.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Glad your ok! Hope damage wasn't too bad
Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM

naw, the main damage was to the trees, just gave us a reason to bust out the chainsaws.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Whats up with all the Furds in the background?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Well the tan one is my Brother in laws, it was his first truck, he rebulit it himself and has taken it many places. Its a really good truck. the ranger is a friends who really screwed up a clutch job and we had to get it right. Its actually a pretty good running truck for what it is also. The car is an Eclipse, pretty quick car. I am partial to the 50s-80s model Fords, particularly the 73-77 round light pickups. But for a reliable DD, Cummins all the way!!!

Quick Reply: Had a rough weekend (long)