Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Had to put my horse down today

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:38 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to put my horse down today

Actually it was my wife's horse. He has had a bit of a problem in his gut, yesterday he was laying down in the pasture and did not look well. I Walked him into the corrals, called the vet and we gave him some hot oil to help with what we figured was a case of intestinal compaction. He seemed to be doing good this morning, and into the afternoon everything seemed okay but still no poop. My son and I were in the corrals with him keeping him company and his breathing was getting shallow and he seemed to start going down hill pretty quick. He then seemed to be in a bit of pain, and he started shaking and was getting unstable so I gave him a dose of tranquilizer to ease his pain a bit and then he went down. At that point there was no hope so I had to put him down, and make sure he did not suffer. The worst part of it all was I had to call my wife, she is out of town visiting her mother, to let her know the bad news. I am not sure what was worse, putting Blade down or having to make that call. Tough stuff right there.

Blade was a great horse, he had a very good instinct for driving cattle and never seemed to get them spooked or really worked up. He sometimes was a pain to catch , but he always submitted and was very gentle with my wife and the boys. I will always remember my son riding him bareback, full gallop, down the driveway, laughing the whole time. All you could hear was hooves and the all out laugh of a then 10 year old's innocence. It is funny how dogs and horses passing on to better pastures sometimes have a greater affect on us than humans. I guess that is what makes them so special.

If there is a good side to the whole situation, he was not alone and was continually rubbing up against me while I was brushing him. Right up to the end he was leaning his head against me, then he walked across the corral, almost as if he knew that if he fell on me he would surely crush me. I know that it is not true but he was always the kind of horse to walk around a low branch instead of underneath it. At the very end when he did go down he actually turned and fell away from me, kinda crazy aint it? Makes you wonder.

Sorry for the long depressing post, but I figured Blade has earned a little recognition. He will be greatly missed, but his memory, thanks to all you guys, can live on for a long time.

Gotta end this thing now. My allergies are really acting up and the screen is getting a bit blurry.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:44 AM

a horse has its own personality each one is diffrent i had a paint horse who loved a can of coors light and a buckskin who thought he was supposed to live in the house.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 AM

Sorry for your loss. Our horse's and mule's are like family and are treated as such. They are made to mind but they are good members of the family because of it and each one of them will be missed when they go. I have more respect and more compassion for the noble creature called a horse than I do for most people. The Wife and I have been training horses for years and we never seize to be amazed at the different personality traits we see. They are amazing animals and companions.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM

It's tough to lose an old friend. My condolence.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM

You did him honor, telling the story like you did. You and family will always have those good memories.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 82NDSNPR
a horse has its own personality each one is diffrent i had a paint horse who loved a can of coors light and a buckskin who thought he was supposed to live in the house.
My wife had a buckskin that felt the same way... I wonder if it is hereditary?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry for your loss... Horses and dogs tend to be just like children.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 AM

Horses stomach,s are suspended in fluid. The first thing they
do when turned out, is lay down and roll over. Some times
their stomach,s will turn all the way around. when they stand
up, the stomach stay,s twisted. the Vets call it twisted gut.
When this happens, the vet will put them down.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
RIP Blade

Sorry for the loss. Our pets probably get taken care of better than family members do!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wyododge

Gotta admit I could feel a bit of a knot in my throat reading your message.

It sure is hard letting go of an old friend like that isn't it?

I been there a few times.

I remember the exact samel scenario with my first horse.

I had a little appaloosa mare since I was a Toddler and the same sort of deal occured when I was about 14.

I remember it as being one of the worst days of my early life.

I'd like to think I got a little tougher since but I'm not sure it's really any easier. Spent some time with some great horses in the years since then and still remember that mare with fondness.