Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gun safety. Doh!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:14 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Gun safety. Doh!

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) - Monroe County Coroner David Toumey was hospitalized with a leg wound after accidentally shooting himself while trying to demonstrate gun safety.

Toumey told The Herald-Times for a story published Saturday that he was demonstrating gun safety to some people at a Lake Monroe boat ramp about 11 p.m. Wednesday when he accidentally shot himself.

He said that as he checked to make sure his weapon was unloaded, the gun discharged, and a bullet struck him in his left leg.

"It's an unfortunate accident," Toumey said. "I've always been very, very safe."

He was taken to Bloomington Hospital and later transferred to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

Toumey said he was scheduled to have surgery Saturday and expects to be in the hospital from three to five days.

Monroe County Sheriff Steve Sharp said he was unable to release details of the shooting because the report had yet to be filed by the deputy assigned to the case.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Another "Darwin-Award" candidate shot by an "Unloaded" firearm.

Posted for your review:

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE 1: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE 2: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE 3: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE 4: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT

Old 09-08-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like a beer drinkers hunters safety class. You just don't here about many 11pm safety courses without beer.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:24 AM

I worked with a man whose son died from a similar accident several years ago. The young man was deer hunting alone and apparently stuck his 45 under his belt. The gun discharged and severed the main artery in his leg. He was near the back of his truck but died before he could get to the driver's seat.

Everyone no matter how old and no matter how long they have been using guns should attend a gun safety course or a hunter safety course and then should attend a refresher course occasionally. Guns are inherently dangerous and most accidents happen when the user stops thinking and does something dumb. The best piece of safety equipment is located between your ears and when you don't use your safety equipment accidents can and do happen.

Stuff like this is fodder for the anti-gun crowd. They will place all the blame on the gun as if it had a mind of its own and the owner was just a hapless victim.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 AM

Joe N.

I agree 100% (not proof) common sence is not optional and we need to keep the people that don't want guns anyways, away from our guns and our rights!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:38 AM

Too funny.... I was just reading this article and was going to post it...

Tony
Old 09-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Yeah these types of accidents should never occur. There was one here awhile back I recall, where an instructor teaching a class on the dangers of facing a man with a knife.

If you are closer than 20 ft, the man with the knife will more than likely cut you, before you can draw your sidearm. While demonstrating this, the instructor had placed a non firing training pistol in his belt, then as the man approached him he drew his real revolver from his back side and shot the man in the head killing him.

Obviously you NEVER wear a loaded firearm during such training scenarios, the guy was so intent on showing what can happen that he automatically drew his service revolver, just as he trained to do over and over again.

Most accidents can be avoided, if you are handling a firearm for any purpose other than firing it, you MUST unload it, and be certain it is indeed void of ammunition.

As a gunsmith, I wish I had a dollar for every guy who brought a firearm into my shop telling me it was unloaded, and then I open it and hand them back their ammo

It is ALWAYS loaded, remember that, and you are off to a good start safety wise.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Joe N.
Guns are inherently dangerous and most accidents happen when the user stops thinking and does something dumb. The best piece of safety equipment is located between your ears and when you don't use your safety equipment accidents can and do happen.
I gotta disagree with you about the first part of that statement - very few guns are inherently dangerous, those that are actually dangerous are defective in design or have suffered some kind of damage. Guns are as safe as the person handling them.

The rest of it is right on, gun accidents are caused by people either not knowing how to be safe, or knowing how but not doing.

What's that old saying about teachers and doers? This coroner was definitely a teacher.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 PM

wannadiesel,

You are correct. I knew what I meant but it didn't come through. The gun was developed as a weapon and in that sense is inherently dangerous because its design is to kill. BUT a gun by itself is no more dangerous than a hammer, knife, or any other tool. It is only when in the hand of a human that it really becomes dangerous. I don't know of a gun that ever killed anyone by itself. Someone had to pick it up and pull the trigger.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by Joe N.
wannadiesel,

You are correct. I knew what I meant but it didn't come through. The gun was developed as a weapon and in that sense is inherently dangerous because its design is to kill. BUT a gun by itself is no more dangerous than a hammer, knife, or any other tool. It is only when in the hand of a human that it really becomes dangerous. I don't know of a gun that ever killed anyone by itself. Someone had to pick it up and pull the trigger.
Well said Joe.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:59 PM

It's is NOT an accident! His wounds are a result of negligence. -Steve
Old 09-09-2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by SHARPMACHINE
Sounds to me like a beer drinkers hunters safety class. You just don't here about many 11pm safety courses without beer.

My thoughts exactly!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:54 AM

Another Darwin Candidate.

Deputies: Dog shoots Florida man

Puppy puts paw on gun's trigger The Associated Press

A man who tried to shoot seven puppies was shot himself when one of the dogs put its paw on the revolver’s trigger.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5950304/
Old 09-09-2004, 11:01 AM

On another note:.....

We need to ban those "Assault Farm Tools" too.

AIKEN, S.C. (AP) - A robber who used a rusty pitchfork to stick up a bank got away - and so far, finding him has been like looking for a needle in a haystack.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0904/171529.html