Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Grrrr <rant>

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrrr <rant>

So...

This morning, i had some retard almost pull out in front of me...so i was 'smart' and put the marker/cab lights on..

i get to work, cool the truck down for a min, and get out (mind you, the marker/cab lights were still on...) the door switch is broken...so the buzzer doesn't work because the buzzer doesn't know the door is open...

so i go to leave work to go to a conference for a new job, and the truck turns over SLLLLOOOOWWLLLY twice, and doesn't do a thing...i notice the lights on (it's burned me once before) and shut them off...contemplate for a minute, then lock the door and get out...

guess where the keys are now... remember, no buzzer for the door

i hate myself..

so now i have to call and tell the new job perspective company i can't make it (not really cool, at all) and now i have a locked-in set of keys (the only set) and my unlock kit is 25 miles away at home..

i've never opened a ram before, plenty of jeeps though..

GOD help me
Old 09-13-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a rear sliding glass? Pop the latch with something thin like a ruler...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:45 PM

I used a screw driver to pry the door open enough to get a hanger inside. Then I pulled the door handle with the hanger. It was a Ford Crown Vic though. It worked, but it scratched the car really badly. Good luck. BTW, I keep a copy of every key in my wallet. I have about 10 keys in my wallet now. Haven't been locked out since!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM

can you say Hidea Key? sorry, I know that doesn't help. been there. I leave a hidea key now, nothing worse than locking yourself out in the backcountry, no cell service miles and miles from nothing. I had a fire department unlock my truck one day, pretty nice of them, saved me money.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned

I second the "key in wallet" idea. Not really an idea, more of a standard practive for me...

Altough it is rare that I roll up my windows or lock my doors anyways.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

Dude,

Why did you have to miss your meeting? Is there no Taxi service in your area?

I always leave my operating key in the truck (in the ignition at home and in the console when travelling) and the other in my pocket. That way I never lock myself out. I also always have the keyless fob in my pocket and not on the key in the ignition.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:35 PM

I took a spare key and zipped tied it underneath to the inside of my frame rail in the back of the truck. Since its uasully muddy you would never know its there unless u were the one that put it there. It saved me about 5 times allready. And i have sapre zipties in the truck so after i use the spare key i put it right back for the next time.

Trending Topics

Old 09-13-2006, 04:40 PM

One of those days, sucks when they happen. Fortunately you get to start brand new in morning.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

One thing to remember about a hide-a-key. Don't forget where it is. I have one SOMEWHERE on our Jetta, doesn't do me much good.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Chapter President

I hauled a volkswagon bus for a guys...hauled it for scrap. He said, I know they have a key for it. We looked and found a key, tried it and it did not work. We ended up using a big pry bar and busting the steering wheel lock, Germans made that VERY well. I got it home, cleaned it out, cut off the cat. converter, cut all the hoses and such in the rear, dropped the gas tank and cut the rear axles, mounts and let the motor fall on the trailer. When I looked back up in the engine compartment I found one of those magnetic boxes. Opened it up and holy cow!!! The key!! That thing had been sitting in that same spot at that guys house for 10 years or more.

I've been there....key laughing at you...you can see it in the ignition saying........
Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 PM

The lock smith guy got in the passenger side door of my truck in about 30 seconds with a long flat blade with a narrow hook on it. He said there is too much electrical stuff to get in easily on the driver side.

It took me about an hour to snake a very long piece of wire from the rear side window and push the lock button by the power windows.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:10 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Baja
One thing to remember about a hide-a-key. Don't forget where it is.
I did that mess!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 PM

Lol!

you guys rock...

the meeting was technically voluntary, and it was an invitation thing, so it wasn't something that i was REQUIRED to go to, but it was probably something that would have looked good..

i had about 15-20 minutes to spare when i locked myself out, which it probably would have taken a cab longer, plus my suit was in the truck...i needed that..

i'll be visiting the *********** tomorrow...a new key is $7...i don't think it's worth me using the lock-out kit for that little, $$$$.... plus i will have to buy another key for a retard-it-hide-it place anyway, so that's $2...so for $5 more, i don't think i'll waste my time..

the killer is, i JUST finished the STACK install yesterday, and i was looking forward to driving it, and leaving work early (i'm a VERY hard worker, i'm just a bit tired of my boss)...he's incompetant, everyone-else-is-at-fault attitude, hawks over you, and sometimes just doesn't want to be there...so it was a getaway minute..

that backfired...

no sliding rear window...i wish.

thanks for the simpathy, and thoughts!!!

you guys rock!

J
Old 09-14-2006, 01:04 AM

Wallet key... Even have the valet key for my wife's mini-van too. (I get to use THAT one ALL the time! )
No mud to crawl in, no Tywrap to cut, no magnet box to try to remember where I put it LAST TIME...
Take the spare Dodge key, cut all that black plastic stuff off the key and it makes it MUCH thinner to fit into the wallet. It saved me just today.. I forgot my keys in my office...
I had walked to the back of the parkinglot for my CTD( ~1/2mi...) and realized,... NO FRIGGIN KEYS!!! I fish my spare out of the wallet and drive up to the plant gate. Still gotta walk back into the plant in the rain but it cut the walk down by half.

K.