Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

GPS Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS Inquiry

IV been looking into getting a GPS unit and was curious as to who here uses one?
Which unit do you have? How well it works for you?
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I have a Garmin Street Pilot. I like it. Look into the Garmin . Also if you get one make sure you can put long and lat into it. Some won't let that happen. So if you are going to a fishing hole with no physical address you can put in the long and lat.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:55 AM

Im looking at getting a small handheld for hiking.

I use ALK CoPilot 9 with my laptop when I travel though. I got it cheap, and the software is kinda cheap and outdated. It works great for me though and Ive heard the newer versions are a lot better. ( The wife works as the backup if the software doesn't quite have what I want! )

Im interested in what people have to say about any small lightweight handhelds though too.

Have a good one.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:23 PM

I use a Garmin c330 I got off of the internet-works great with the touchscreen controls, but one with a long/lat option would have been even better, like Clayten said, or try to find one with the ability to save waypoints.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 AM

When I posted the inquiry, the caffine hadnt kicked in yet.
What Im looking for is one to set on the dash of the truck for when I venture into unfamiliar areas.
Iv got an old Garmin GPS 12 but it isnt big enough to work for what I need.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Howy
Im looking at getting a small handheld for hiking.

I use ALK CoPilot 9 with my laptop when I travel though. I got it cheap, and the software is kinda cheap and outdated. It works great for me though and Ive heard the newer versions are a lot better. ( The wife works as the backup if the software doesn't quite have what I want! )

Im interested in what people have to say about any small lightweight handhelds though too.

Have a good one.
I've got the full-featured Garmin Vista Cx handheld. Sun readable color LCD. I love it. Perfect for hiking and portable use(ham radio stuff). That model also comes with a magnetic compass built in so no movement is necessary to determine route bearing. It's nice to be able to stand there and turn slowly and the compass derived map bearing tracks. Auto-switches to GPS bearing above a user defined velocity. (yes, you CAN enter Lat-Lon of your favorite fishing hidey-holes etc)
Also comes with a barometric altimeter too(gps updatable). Sorta' useless in SouthTexas
It accepts Micro SD mem modules like in cel phones/PDA's(came with a 64Meg SD mem module)
I bought a 2Gig Micro SD mem module and it held the ENTIRE DVD of the N-America streetmaps in the GPS! That means there would be plenty room to hold desired Blue-chart, street maps AND Topo maps of your hiking area of interest.
Works very well on the road in the car too but the biggest problem with that is the small size of the display for car use... My tired eyes and that small screen sitting on the dash just don't work well together.

Pretty easy on AA batteries if you don't run the backlight bright all the time.
For storage, disable the Altimeter from recording even while the GPS is off so it won't drain the batts while it is sitting on your dresser.

Good luck.

K.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM

I use ALK co-pilot laptop10 for serious trips in the truck. I also have a Magellan roadmate 2000. It is very portable. I use it when walking, keeps track of the distance, and average speed that I am walking. Another use is when I park at a big event, like at a fairgrounds or sport event at a big stadium I save the position I am parked at. Makes it easy to find the truck when I come out. HaGve not tried to put in LAT/LONG for a location on the Magellan. Can on the co-pilot.
When I worked the company issued E-Trec units for GPS. Worked great for tracking position like when hiking or driving off road. Example a job site like a pipline pumping station in the boonies, with no roads close to it. Given an address of LAT/LONG put it in and go out in the field, usually down a powerline right away.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I use delorme street atlas its a two disc set that downloads and runs on my laptop set the lap top on the center console and take off it has a GPS reciever that plugs into the USB port on the side and has alot more features than the other programs I've tried such as being able to share draw and map files with other Delorme users. You can also down load excel spread sheets with Lat and Long onto it it will set pins on all the locations specified. The program cost me 110 bucks and instead of trying to see a small screen on the dash I ride in style looking at a 14.5" screen on my laptop.