Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gout

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gout

Anybody on here ever had Gout? Woke up last night in serious pain with ankle all swollen. Went to Dr today and he said it was Gout. The funny thing is the first thing he asked was how much beer do I drink. I don't even drink beer. I told him that my dad used to get it in his big toe when he was alive, so the Dr said I must have gotten it from him.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't have it but at guy I work with gets it so bad he has to go on medical leave from work. From what I understand, it is caused by uric acid crystals built up in your blood, which then deposits and settles in your extremities, which is where the pain comes from. And, it can be caused by a lot more than just beer, but does have a lot to do with your diet. Do a search on a site like MSN health, etc. for it, lots of good info.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Start eating cherries. It will help with the issue. Just regular cherries.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, My dad has had it and he doesn't drink at all.... I remember him hopping around on one foot in pain.

A guy that I work with has it often, and he also said it was drinking WAY TOO MUCH beer.......

I've also heard smoked meats can cause it?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by tool
Interesting, My dad has had it and he doesn't drink at all.... I remember him hopping around on one foot in pain.

A guy that I work with has it often, and he also said it was drinking WAY TOO MUCH beer.......

I've also heard smoked meats can cause it?
I have never heard of the smoked meats. I have heard that red meats can cause it but not specifically smoked meat.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I had it in high school. Went to the doctor due to the pain and he was totally astonished that someone my age had it. He asked me what I ate. I worked at a Steak & Ale restaruant and cooks got a comp meal for each shift. So 5 nights a week I was eating crab, lobster, steak or a combination thereof. One of my favorites was a butterflied filet mignon with king crab meat on texas toast. Talk about a great sandwich. He gave me a prescription and told me to stop eating that much of that type of food. Uric acid is much higher in rich foods and to just eat that stuff occasionally instead of 5 nights week. Reluctantly I did cut back significantly and never have had it again. Well at least yet and its been over 30 years. Have a friend who has it and alcohol does it for him too much wine too often and he gets it.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by dodchall70
Anybody on here ever had Gout? Woke up last night in serious pain with ankle all swollen. Went to Dr today and he said it was Gout. The funny thing is the first thing he asked was how much beer do I drink. I don't even drink beer. I told him that my dad used to get it in his big toe when he was alive, so the Dr said I must have gotten it from him.
I can feel the pain from here!! try a tsp. of baking soda in a glass of water, 1 in the morn and one at bed time for three days. get some just black cherry juice and drink 4 ounces every day to keep the the stuff at bay. watch out for the salt in baking soda if you have high blood pressure. this combo did the trick for me. it never goes away just waits. the doc is right. it came from the dad. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by paco72
I can feel the pain from here!! try a tsp. of baking soda in a glass of water, 1 in the morn and one at bed time for three days. get some just black cherry juice and drink 4 ounces every day to keep the the stuff at bay. watch out for the salt in baking soda if you have high blood pressure. this combo did the trick for me. it never goes away just waits. the doc is right. it came from the dad. hope this helps. good luck.
The wife was saying that she had heard about the black cherry juice before. She just left to go to the grocery store for some. I will try the baking soda. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 PM

gout sucks, its pretty prevelant in my family, the fella that mentioned uric acid levals being to high pretty much summed it up. what helps me is allopurinol 300mg a day, darvocett n 100s, its a pain pill, celebrex, its an arthritis med, and medrol, its an anti inflamitory/steroid, sounds like alot of pills to take but it keeps me running around. im only 25 myself the first time i got "the gout" was when i was 18, it felt like i broke my foot, i actually thought i did, i went to the drs office and they x rayed it and before it was all said and done i mentioned that gout runs in the family, they did some blood work on me and found out my uric acid level was to high. Like i said what helps me is allopurinol, a mild pain med, celebrex, and medrol. the medrol i take like 3 times a week. I havent had a gout flare up in about 2 years, but when it happens colchicine is a good med to have around, what sucks about colchicine is that it messes your stomach up pretty bad. Everybodys body is different, and some tolerate medication better then others, next time ya visit the dr ask about the meds i mentioned.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

It is known as the king's disease because of the fine types of food that king's would eat. Even peas can bring it on. Do a google on it and you will see what foods will bring it on.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout
Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, gout is nothing to mess with. Colchicine works well for me. I have to keep away from the dark beers and red meat (I do indulge sometimes). My first bout with it was in university, could not sleep for 3 days, could hardly walk and unbelievable pain. In my sleep deprived state I thought if I smacked it a good one, maybe it would feel better. Found a 3" thick comp sci book and smacked the toe a good one. It actually felt good for about 3 seconds and then I almost passed out. Phone mom and she told me to go to the doctor. Dad almost peed himself laughing about the book...
Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 PM

dodchall70. the name of the juice I use is knudsens. it is in the organic section. you have to get rid of the uric acid in the bod to get better. lots of liquids will disolve the crystals in the joint. viox was my silver bullet till it was taken off the market. the nsaids take away the inflamation and may help. can't find the paper on the baking soda dose. cut back to no more than 1/2 tsp per day. to see how you tolerate the salt.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM

I get it from time to time. Mostly when I don't drink enough water cause i get busy. When I feel an attack coming on I eat meals that are mostly grain based along with fruits, bananas seem to help and drink ALOT of water to help flush out your system.

Also giving blood seems to help.

Just my .02

Good Luck
Old 03-13-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryG
I had it in high school. Went to the doctor due to the pain and he was totally astonished that someone my age had it. He asked me what I ate. I worked at a Steak & Ale restaruant and cooks got a comp meal for each shift. So 5 nights a week I was eating crab, lobster, steak or a combination thereof. One of my favorites was a butterflied filet mignon with king crab meat on texas toast. Talk about a great sandwich. He gave me a prescription and told me to stop eating that much of that type of food. Uric acid is much higher in rich foods and to just eat that stuff occasionally instead of 5 nights week. Reluctantly I did cut back significantly and never have had it again. Well at least yet and its been over 30 years. Have a friend who has it and alcohol does it for him too much wine too often and he gets it.

So after the fact, what was worse the gout or having to give up that sweet lunch?