Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Got an itch I can't scratch, help me ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got an itch I can't scratch, help me ;)

Been 7 years since I bought a new vehicle. Longest time I have ever kept a vehicle. I am going into new verhicle delirium tremons.
Should I get a new truck (wait until the redesigned heavy duties come out, if they do) or (and this tells me I am entering mid life crisis stage) a sporty car?
The truck is already set up the way I want it and I dread doing that all over again, but I would like to move up in the ammenity department.
Lately, I have been lusting over the new Nissan 370Z with the synchrorev match tranny. That way, I keep the truck that is setup the way I want AND I can step up the comfort level with a new daily driver.
Help me, please

~Rob
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 AM

well if you dont wanna do it all over angain and like the way your truck is and can afford to buy somethin else with out gettin rid of the truck go for it i wish i could.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM

I'd keep your truck and get a sports car of some sorts...

New Camaro or Challenger would be my first two considerations.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Rob, Here is what you do......

Get a photo of that new car you are drooling over and then put a thumb tack in your shoe under your heel. Look at the photo...step on the shoe...repeat process until you no longer wish to have anything to do with the new vehicle.

If you need any further help, have Hammer, will travel

Lary
Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob, definately don't get rid of the truck! It's barely broke in and it looks sharp! If buying a new toy for the truck won't ease your "itch", then splurge and buy the sports car............but keep the truck.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 AM
alwaysonDTR

buy a VW and bomb it, 400hp bug that would be cool
Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

If it's a mid-life crisis, you could always opt for a 20-year old blonde and keep the truck. She should be able to get you in at least as much trouble as a sports car.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
If it's a mid-life crisis, you could always opt for a 20-year old blonde and keep the truck. She should be able to get you in at least as much trouble as a sports car.
The 20-year cost a heck of alot more than any sports car on the road.. A sports car cant take half your stuff when you decide to kick it to the curb..
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
The 20-year cost a heck of alot more than any sports car on the road.. A sports car cant take half your stuff when you decide to kick it to the curb..
Which one has the better trade in value though

I will have to clear any 20 year old with the wife first (might be easier than justifying a second vehicle to her )

~Rob
Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
In this economy especially, if you have a paid off truck that serves you well, I think I'd stick with it.

It doesn't have all the emission stuff that the 6.7 has, and probably gets better MPG.

If you are going to do the new truck thing, if it were me I'd wait for the new body style to come out in the heavy duty line. The quad cab is ok for kids, or large adults for a short trip, but having more of a crew cab would really be handy when taking large adults on a longer trip.

As long as you are looking for features, might as well wait, so you can get the heated and ventilated front seats (long overdue) and heated rear seats.

The Challenger is pretty cool, though, but if you dumped that money in an IRA or on extra principal for your mortgage it could make a big difference in what you can afford to do in retirement.

They say you’ve reached middle age when you fantasize more about retiring than you do about “relations”…
Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
DTR Mom

Wink

new cars don't make you feel 'ineffective' that you get medicine for(but still have the same letters that supposedly mean something)

obviously no kids......

seven years IS an adjustment phase, relationship wise. hmmmmmm

so stop talking to the truck, don't look at it. no pictures of it. take three weeks of sitting at the bar griping about how your truck treated you, with your buddies.

LEASE the car.

Cause you know you'll only trade it in after one season.....

can't beat wisdom of mom