Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

A Good Word for Dell Computers

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Computers

I also work on computers and network systems, I just installed 10 Dell's on a system and have had problems with almost all of them. These seem to have a problem getting along with the operating system. Dell overlays their own software onto the hard drive the way the old Compaq's and HP' workstations did in the 90's and if you F-Disk the HD you had a real problem because you cleared out the soft BIOS. I finally got them fixed and now they seem OK. Problem was though It was a 100 mile trip each way to the site and this was 2 months ago when the Diesel prices were so high. I was putting $50.00 per day in the tank. Also if a female calls they sell you things you do not need. Convinced my client and now I have 10-16 port switches for my collection. I have always built my own computer as it is really fairly simple and the connectors are made so if it don't fit the hole, it dont go there. In my home there are 6 computers running on a network 24/7, 1 is a laptop. I build a new computer about every 6 months and shift them down the chain and then sell the last one off. My last one is a 3.2 Ghz. Pentium IV, 800 Mhz front side buss, Intel motherboard, 4 Gb SD ram, 2-300 Gb. hard drives, raid controller with 4-200 gb WD hard drives, 650 watt power supply, Corsair Hydro Cooler, gigabit network. I view it on a 20" Sony LCD monitor and I just got a new backlit (lights up in the dark ) keyboard. Thats how I can post in the middle of the night.
Before I forget, a thing I don't like about Dell is when you do MS upgrades or it decides to send a problem ticket (which it can do at any without you knowing) it sends all of the registered owner's information including programs installed AND the registration numbers of all the software. That's just too BIG BROTHER for me.
I am got a geek or Gamer, I just like to have the best. After all, that is why I have a Dodge.. But if you don"t mind all that, Dell's are good, but so were Gateway"s Jim
I only run NT or W2k OS.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dell customer service has been nothing but nightmares for me. My monitor was going out and I called to get a new one under warranty. I could not understand the woman (India) and I politely asked for a supervisor. She kept talking and saying that she would make sure to solve my problems and I kept asking for the supervisor......... she hung up. I went through more BS after the second monitor was worse than the first. They hastled me to no end and said it was something on my end. I ask to pay the difference on a new unit and they say no... the one that came with it has a 3 year warranty and they will only send me that model. ***? I asked to speak with a representative in the states and they ended up having a guy call me back........from Canada with a French accent I will never buy Dell products again. You figure that when you spend over 1K on a pc from a huge company that the cust. service should be there for you jumping through hoops. Times are a changin'
Old 01-05-2005, 03:28 AM

Before I forget, a thing I don't like about Dell is when you do MS upgrades or it decides to send a problem ticket (which it can do at any without you knowing) it sends all of the registered owner's information including programs installed AND the registration numbers of all the software. That's just too BIG BROTHER for me.
Wholy Snickles that is not for me, no way shape or form. Humm might build another one - that is what I have always done in the past. I just did not feel like going thru the entire process of loading software and such, was looking forward to yank it out the box - plug it it - enjoy...

I guess I'll be cruising the computer shows here locally for some deals (which are rare at shows).
Old 01-05-2005, 05:51 AM
abb

You guys might want to check out cyberpower.com I 've have bought 3 of them in the past 5 yrs and no promblems except the ones I cause!!!! the prices are good and the tech support is fair,and you can have them built anyway you want . they sell amd & intell. whats great is you can buy off the shelf, my 2 cents
Old 01-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Dell Computers

Yes my friend, this company is really sly on the way they operate. On my last job I had about 5 of the 10 computers that would not activate the operating system. Everytime I would have to reboot them I would get a popup window that said it was collecting data and was going to send it to Dell Support. Being these were a clients system I was not so upset but had it been mine, I would have yanked the connection. I had to call microsoft and go through a long process via ?? to fix the problem. See Dell embeds their own modifications to the M.S. software that takes over the controls. They claim that the computer collects the information so the tech can help serve you better. Right.. I was born yesterday and I am ONE. Also the Dell's use all propriatary parts and nothing will fit. If you replace the hard drive you will have to do some tricks to get it to run. There is an invisible partition on the drive that has an image of the origional OS. Don't get me wrong, these are really nice when you want to RESTORE your computer back to virgin status and your grey matter is challenged but if you are a tech and want control it is not the ticket. Another gripe is you pay all of this money and you don't get the OEM disk, you only get a recovery disk and some drivers, try and install some new hardware and get it working. I think if I bought the computer, I own the operating system and I want the disk. But now that is a Microsoft issue and if someone should accidently install a disk in the wrong machine, Oh well. I never do anything wrong and I don't speed either. Gee after all B*** Gat*s might go broke and have to drive a used car or trade in his Gulfstream for a Cessna. I have been in the electronics world for actually more than 45 years now and I keep up on technology.. I guess I just feel if I buy it, it's MINE. We are loosing freedom's bit's at a time in the name of security, technology?. Don't get me started on Red Light Cameras now... Any idea how many times you have your picture taken every day? Good luck on the turnpikes and toll roads. Here in California, your fellow motorist are encouraged by the SCAQMD to report your license # if they see any exhaust smoke. I have been hit 2 times, both pulling a hill. Do you remember on the movie Farenheit 451 those little boxes at the corners with the light on the top?
?? How did I get off Dell Computers??
But as they say, (This is one reporters opinion) Dell Computers when working are good stable computers.
Me.