Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

God vs Science....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
this is what i tell the kids at church: " if you can boil the Bible down to one word, it is LOVE "

back on topic, you can GOOGLE "darwin reject evolution"
and that will have you reading FOREVER.

here's a good link:
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~do_while/sage/v5i10f.htm

here's another, he seems to say Darwins 5 years of study pale in comparison to the raw amount of material to be studied in relation to this:

http://science.krishna.org/Articles/2000/10/00183.html

T-15 is just like a guy we have at our work, he was raised in church, dad's a Pastor, all that jazz.

but he fell out & got disenchanted with the whole deal.

i think you need to separate 2 things:
-organized religions
-personal faith.

--organized religion almost always seems to consist more of man (sin) than of Bible (love)

--personal faith (like Grant's post) comes from personal observance and leads to personal strength and deep seated faith - which is VERY hard to convey to someone who has never had faith, and has never had God move actively in their lives. (or, in their adult lives). Faith can be very difficult to explain, and even harder to impart to someone.

Hebrews 11:1
[ By Faith We Understand ] Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

T-15, do me a favor. GOOGLE this: somebody said, to paraphrase "Darwin looked at the human eye in his older years, and agreed that in NO WAY could evolution explain the complexity of the human eye, and He rejected his own theory of evolution "

and I can't find anything to back this up, can you?
Darwin did not reject his theory. He did not have the absolute scientific proof he needed. He was not sure if evolutionary genes would be lost in the process of mating. The technology of the time could not give this to him. With the technology we now have(DNA)it has been proven that, genes are carried forward and evolution is how all life on earth came about.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evolution you say you can not see that happening, well then lets look at the current state of homosapien.

If you want to believe we ALL came from Adam and Eve then we all must have started as one color, so then tell me why we have so many different colors to our skin today? Evolution caused this. Dark skin was a benefit in Africa and for the most part of the equatorial regions of the earth as it protected man some from skin cancer. As man moved away from the equator other environmental issues allowed man to change without damage. Natural selection is not always about the fittest but can also be about what makes us more survivable to the conditions we live in. What survives reproduces, what fails to thrive does not reproduce. Remember this was happening when man had very little control over what happened to him. As we develop technology it matters less and less how tall we are or even if we walk up right or what color our skin is as we can control our environment now.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM

After reading this all I can say is wow.

My house is full of religion - my wife is a religious scholar - but neither of us participate in any one particular religion. I refuse to prescribe to any, and actually dislike organized religion altogether. I do like to learn a bit about them all, but in a non-biased setting.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM

For me if the whole evolution thing were true and things evolved over time then why haven't there ever been any fossils found of say a half plant and half monkey or something else. Because if life began from one cell and evolved in to other life form then there should be some sort of fossil record to prove true evolution but there isn't. So thats why I believe in the bible.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me say that I don't see any conflict between evolution and creation. Evolution is random change. Change can't happen till there is something to change. Evolution does not explain the beginning. Only the changes over time caused by genetic mistakes that happened to be a slight advantage. Very slow and uneven. Random.

So, to all those that reject evolution please explain just what you are rejecting and how that fits the definition of evolution. Are you saying that no species have changed at all since creation? Or if they have, how did they?

Please don't go to "I'm not a monkey" or "I don't look like a sponge". I'm asking about the beginning. Are you saying that everything was created exactly like it is today?

This back and forth about creation vs evolution is going nowhere, it's debating about current affairs. Reach back much farther. Much farther. Are you really ready to say there has been no change in living things since the very beginnings of life? Or, as an example, were the first sea organisms, the dinosaurs, and modern man all created on the same day and have not changed since? I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just trying to understand where all of our belief systems can converge. Just what can we agree on without saying it's simply creation or evolution and that's it.

Lets go farther back. What did things look like before the big bang? Oops, to far. As all the heavens and earth were being created, from nothing, by God (according to one group), where did he find the space? In other words what is nothing? How big is nothing? Did he create that too? Is there some point at which we can all agree and then work from there?

Once again the questions are to big to answer. So if that's the case, how does arguing help? Arguing about something that is too big to understand. So then, each must have their own faith. Their own INNER faith to be at peace with the bigger picture. Or they must put the decisions on hold until they can work it out. One particular view can't be projected onto others without all the problems. Why is it so hard for the religious folk to let others have their own beliefs in peace?

John
Old 11-28-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by winkle
For me if the whole evolution thing were true and things evolved over time then why haven't there ever been any fossils found of say a half plant and half monkey or something else. Because if life began from one cell and evolved in to other life form then there should be some sort of fossil record to prove true evolution but there isn't. So thats why I believe in the bible.

Not trying to be rude/mean/disrespectful but you don't have an understanding of evolution.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
After reading this all I can say is wow.

My house is full of religion - my wife is a religious scholar - but neither of us participate in any one particular religion. I refuse to prescribe to any, and actually dislike organized religion altogether. I do like to learn a bit about them all, but in a non-biased setting.
I'm with you on the "non biased setting" But where do you find that?

John
Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
I'm with you on the "non biased setting" But where do you find that?

John

My house.....
Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Evolution you say you can not see that happening, well then lets look at the current state of homosapien.

If you want to believe we ALL came from Adam and Eve then we all must have started as one color, so then tell me why we have so many different colors to our skin today? Evolution caused this. Dark skin was a benefit in Africa and for the most part of the equatorial regions of the earth as it protected man some from skin cancer. As man moved away from the equator other environmental issues allowed man to change without damage. Natural selection is not always about the fittest but can also be about what makes us more survivable to the conditions we live in. What survives reproduces, what fails to thrive does not reproduce. Remember this was happening when man had very little control over what happened to him. As we develop technology it matters less and less how tall we are or even if we walk up right or what color our skin is as we can control our environment now.
Dont you think that a man created by God could adapt to his surroundings.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
Dont you think that a man created by God could adapt to his surroundings.
Yes, through evolution. Thank you.

John
Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Let me say that I don't see any conflict between evolution and creation. Evolution is random change. Change can't happen till there is something to change. Evolution does not explain the beginning. Only the changes over time caused by genetic mistakes that happened to be a slight advantage. Very slow and uneven. Random.

So, to all those that reject evolution please explain just what you are rejecting and how that fits the definition of evolution. Are you saying that no species have changed at all since creation? Or if they have, how did they?

Please don't go to "I'm not a monkey" or "I don't look like a sponge". I'm asking about the beginning. Are you saying that everything was created exactly like it is today?

This back and forth about creation vs evolution is going nowhere, it's debating about current affairs. Reach back much farther. Much farther. Are you really ready to say there has been no change in living things since the very beginnings of life? Or, as an example, were the first sea organisms, the dinosaurs, and modern man all created on the same day and have not changed since? I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just trying to understand where all of our belief systems can converge. Just what can we agree on without saying it's simply creation or evolution and that's it.

Lets go farther back. What did things look like before the big bang? Oops, to far. As all the heavens and earth were being created, from nothing, by God (according to one group), where did he find the space? In other words what is nothing? How big is nothing? Did he create that too? Is there some point at which we can all agree and then work from there?

Once again the questions are to big to answer. So if that's the case, how does arguing help? Arguing about something that is too big to understand. So then, each must have their own faith. Their own INNER faith to be at peace with the bigger picture. Or they must put the decisions on hold until they can work it out. One particular view can't be projected onto others without all the problems. Why is it so hard for the religious folk to let others have their own beliefs in peace?

John

Great points raspy. You know what I believe but I also think that things are constantly changing (evolving if you will) I dont think we started as nothing I think we started as people but have improved through the years and became more advanced and adapted to our surroundings. Does that make sense?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 PM

If I walk through the door at work and you slap me its not going to be very long until I get tired of it and one stop coming to work or two stop you from slapping me. Is that evolution or adapting to my surroundings and if it is evolution does that conclude we started from a single cell. This is the kind of changing and adapting I am talking about.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Not trying to be rude/mean/disrespectful but you don't have an understanding of evolution.
Non taken.

Help me understand.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM

John
Look at it from the other point of view. How could something evolve from absolute nothing?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
Great points raspy. You know what I believe but I also think that things are constantly changing (evolving if you will) I dont think we started as nothing I think we started as people but have improved through the years and became more advanced and adapted to our surroundings. Does that make sense?
Yes it does make sense from a faith perspective and it doesn't reject obvious changes that have happened and are happening. It demonstrates what I said about there being no conflict between creation and evolution. A common sense faith. I like it.

I can't claim to know about the beginning and won't argue that. But, I think evolution can not be denied by anyone other than those trying to make a religious point or that just haven't looked at it honestly. Do you agree?

Thanks.

John

Quick Reply: God vs Science....