Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

God vs Science....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK back to science. I tend to think that Earth is not the only place to support life. Would god have put life in other parts of the universe, or did it evolve through evolution?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Science has proven a lot of the Bible true. It is true a lot of Christians reject science, but I love science A lot of things science, archeology, and some good ole logic has proven the Bible true again and again. I can answer a lot of questions in those regards.

This is still very civil. Lets keep it up!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:05 PM
RAF

There has been some good discusson here. Some far left some far right and I'm sure some in the middle. Most likely neither on either side will be swayed.

One thing that always comes to my mind about this. If you are right (NO Jesus) and I am wrong we have nothing to worry about when we die.
If I am right (KNOW Jesus) and you are wrong there is something to worry about when we die.

Any way, I'll be praying for you folks like it or not.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by RAF
If you are right (NO Jesus) and I am wrong we have nothing to worry about when we die.
If I am right (KNOW Jesus) and you are wrong there is something to worry about when we die.
Pascal's Wager

Britt

Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

People today need a guarantee.

Downfall of a Purged Society
If God says he will part the Jordan River for you if you step in the water, but you wait for proof. You will be standing there a long tme.

The Ten commandment have been deemed illegal on school wall (wouldnt want a child to immulate that), 1962 prayer is out of schools, 1963 bible reading is out of schools, 1973 abortion garanteed buy the constitution. Education has been targeted by the secular humanist. A place where every child will pass thru and can be affected by their humansitc philosiphy - the school.

Here are a few examples-

10 Camandments out - rape, armed robbery, and cheating are in
Prayer is out - police are in
Image of God is out - evolution is in
Bible is out - values clarification is in
Corporal punishment is out - direspect and rebellion are in
Traditional values are out - unwed mothers are in
Abstinance is out - condoms and abortion are in
education is out - social engneering is in
History is out - revisionism is in

Christian or not, if you look where God or the influnce of, has been removed - it has gone south. Looks like our country is already there.

I would love to take credit for these word of wisdom, but i must give them to Dr. Adrian Rogers.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by oilfield-trash

If God says he will part the Jordan River for you if you step in the water, but you wait for proof. You will be standing there a long tme.

The Ten commandment have been deemed illegal on school wall (wouldnt want a child to immulate that), 1962 prayer is out of schools, 1963 bible reading is out of schools, 1973 abortion garanteed buy the constitution. Education has been targeted by the secular humanist. A place where every child will pass thru and can be affected by their humansitc philosiphy - the school.

Here are a few examples-

Christian or not, if you look where God or the influnce of, has been removed - it has gone south. Looks like our country is already there.

I would love to take credit for these word of wisdom, but i must give them to Dr. Adrian Rogers.
I am trying to figure out where the burning of witches fits in there.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by oilfield-trash

Here are a few examples-

our country was founded by god fearing men and was based on god. i went to a little jr. high school and one of my teachers was my pastors wife so god was in our class.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

The title of this thread is God vs science. I hope we can stay on that topic.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=RAF;1811277]There has been some good discusson here. Some far left some far right and I'm sure some in the middle. Most likely neither on either side will be swayed.

I'm not trying to sway anyone to my way of thinking. I'm not looking for converts. Just simply asking questions and clarifying things. If anything, all this points out the importance of not having ANY religious group in control of some other group. Either another religion or those that have not made up their minds yet. Peace comes from acceptance, not a power struggle. The differences in philosophy are so pronounced that the question of science vs faith will never be resolved. The answer to it is tolerance or acceptance. We can get along in spite of our differences or we can fight for power. We can learn from each other, or we can argue. Indeed, we can live together or die together.

I have a far different view of things than my two best friends, for example. But they are like brothers to me and we care deeply about each other. Not because we agree, but because we can listen, debate peacefully, and do other things that don't require a power struggle. None of us play the victim card.

If this conversation devolves into a debate about the country's founding ideas, it's over. Locked, ended, done, crashed and burned. So far it has been fun and revealing. Thought provoking and, in some ways, promising. I've laughed, been surprised, felt kinship, been mad, been depressed, and felt compassion. Since it is a delicate subject, it has required a delicate touch to keep it on track.

Faith is a very important and personal matter. Each of us must make sense of it the best we can. Since I have a very skeptical view of traditional organized religion, I clearly come down on the side of science. That is, I have faith in science, or should I say, I'll take science over traditional views based on faith. Or better yet, I'll look for ways they agree and be skeptical of faith that flies in the face of science. Faith is important and a good guiding light, but I cannot just throw out obvious scientific findings. I can however, use my faith to guide me through my daily life as I use science to try and explain the physical world. Of course, that understanding only goes so far. Sheesh. Being curious is such a hassle!

John
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Thanks Raspy good post.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM

I personnally work on a drill ship that does nothing but scientific exploration. I have seen small fish in thin sections of rock that came from 3000' below the sea floor. Scientist on board told me that they were 1.4 million years old. Funny thing is the little skeletons looked just like fish and shrimp. So I asked the question where Has eveolution been in the last 1.4 million years. No answer.
We have drilled right next to cliff faces that we were told "It took millions of years to raise that far with the tectonic plates moving, but, when the tsunami hit Indonesia an earthquake had caused the sea floor to rise over 3000' in just a matter of seconds, again I asked questions that leading scientists from all over the world couldnt answer. They always had a theory which is nothing but a educated guess. God has disproved alot of science also.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by overcomer401965
I personnally work on a drill ship that does nothing but scientific exploration. I have seen small fish in thin sections of rock that came from 3000' below the sea floor. Scientist on board told me that they were 1.4 million years old. Funny thing is the little skeletons looked just like fish and shrimp. So I asked the question where Has eveolution been in the last 1.4 million years. No answer.
We have drilled right next to cliff faces that we were told "It took millions of years to raise that far with the tectonic plates moving, but, when the tsunami hit Indonesia an earthquake had caused the sea floor to rise over 3000' in just a matter of seconds, again I asked questions that leading scientists from all over the world couldnt answer. They always had a theory which is nothing but a educated guess. God has disproved alot of science also.
Okay, I’ve got to step in here. I wasn't going to post in this thread again but I have to reply to this. I realize that you have faith and a belief in god and that is great. I’m happy you have found what you need in life. But if you are going to use science as a way to bolster your claims that god is real and has disproved a lot of science you are going to have to be much more factual in your examples.

Now please don’t take this the wrong way but if the scientist on your drill ship couldn’t answer a simple question about evolution and the dating of fossils then they are far from being very good scientist. I find it very hard to believe they couldn't give you an answer. Here is a VERY good site explaining fossil dating: Click Here And a much more in depth site here: Click Here

Now you bring up the Tsunami that hit Indonesia. You asked the question “Leading scientist all over the world couldn’t answer”…… Then explain this. Click Here

This comes directly from the United States Geological Survey: The sea floor overlying the thrust fault would have been uplifted by several meters as a result of the earthquake. Several meters…. Okay for the benefit of arguing, lets say 10 meters. I think most of us would agree that several usually means 3 to 5 but I’ll go so far as to give you 10. Now we convert meters to feet (1 meter = 3.28 ft). So 10 meters = 32.8 ft of sea floor rise. Now this is Far from the “3000’ in a matter of seconds” as you claimed.

See that’s the thing about science. There is always someone there to check your findings. If you don’t want to believe in tectonic shift then that is your decision. But that doesn’t make it any less real. Tectonic shift is a proven fact not a theory.

Since this is a thread about god vs. science, please give me some examples of "god disproving a lot of science". I am truly interested in this because if this is true then I might actually believe in god again. But if you are going to do this, please be diligent with the "facts".

Thanks

Britt

Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 AM

Maybe you havent heard of the suveys that Naval ships have done of the area. But still what it boils down to is theory verses faith, not science verses God regardless of how long it took God to create it. I have worked on a number of holes that were complete failures because what the scientists said were there, just simply werent. But when the reports go in the whole expedition was a success. You see if they werent, they would get no more $ from congress. Check out IODP on the web, the JOIDES is the ship I work on. We are funded through the NSF which nearly has an unlimited budget, you can tell by the waste of things, I see it all the time. Its not whether you have faith but if God gives you faith becuase it is a gift.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by overcomer401965
Maybe you havent heard of the suveys that Naval ships have done of the area. But still what it boils down to is theory verses faith, not science verses God regardless of how long it took God to create it. I have worked on a number of holes that were complete failures because what the scientists said were there, just simply werent. But when the reports go in the whole expedition was a success. You see if they werent, they would get no more $ from congress. Check out IODP on the web, the JOIDES is the ship I work on. We are funded through the NSF which nearly has an unlimited budget, you can tell by the waste of things, I see it all the time. Its not whether you have faith but if God gives you faith becuase it is a gift.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't want this thread to get shut down because of it.

Take care.

Britt

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM

Good thread so far. I believe in science and I believe in God. It is hard for humans to understand God because of our physical limitations.

Science is based on facts. Evolution is a theory and has never been proven. Creationism (believing that God created the earth) is also a theory but we have the Bible, a written record, that states that God created the earth.

In order for a theory to become fact it has to be duplicated under controlled conditions. Evolution has never been proven.

We are currently going through the Truth Project in our Bible study at church: http://www.thetruthproject.org/ . It is has been an incredible learning experience for me and I have been going to church for 38 years.

Quick Reply: God vs Science....