Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

God Bless Our Armed Forces!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God Bless Our Armed Forces!

Ann Margaret and Her Gentlemen!
<br><br>Richard, my husband, never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8X10 black &amp; white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret, with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures. <br><br>A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo, so he arrived at the book store at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing. When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. <br> <br>Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book, and no memorabilia would be permitted. Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. <br> <br>Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as 2nd in line, it was soon Richard's turn. He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo with many shouts from employees that she would not sign it. <br>Richard said, &quot;I understand. I just wanted her to see it&quot;. <br><br>She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, &quot;This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for &quot;my gentlemen&quot;. With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. <br><br>There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he was the only one there. <br><br>Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears. &quot;That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army&quot;, he said. <br> <br>Richard, like many others, came home to people who spit on him and shouted ugly things at him. Tha night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband. <br> <br>I now make it a point to say 'Thank You' to every person that I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap, and I am grateful for all those who have served their country. <br><br>If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make. <br>
Old 02-03-2003, 09:25 PM

Re:God Bless Our Armed Forces!

Thank you Richard........
Old 02-04-2003, 05:38 AM

[glow=red, 2, 300]God Bless you Richard ... Thank you.[/glow]<br><br>I am a small and precious child, my dads been sent to fight..<br>The only place I'll see his face, is in my dreams at night.<br>He will be gone too many days for my young mind to keep track.<br>I may be sad, but I am proud. My daddy's got your back..<br><br>I am a caring mother. My son has gone to war..<br>My mind is filled with worries that I have never known before.<br>Everyday I try to keep my thoughts from turning black.<br>I may be scared, but I am proud..My son has got your back..<br><br>I am a strong and loving wife, with a husband soon to go.<br>There are times I'm terrified in a way most never know.<br>I bite my lip, and force a smile as I watch my husband pack..<br>My heart may break, but I am proud..My husbands got your back..<br><br>I am a Sailor ..Serving Proudly, standing tall.<br>I fight for freedom, yours and mine by answering this call.<br>I do my job while knowing, the thanks it sometimes lacks.<br>Say a prayer that I'll come home. It's me who's got your back.<br> <br>(Author Unknown)<br>
Old 02-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Banned

First off I want to thank Richard. My dad was also a Nam vet and I think felt about the same way while he was still alive. But now the next generation is here and while I sit here and wait for my mobilization order I think my wife woories and suffers more than I do. In some small way when I called her in here to read this thread I think it helped her come to grips with it all a little bit. So I also want to thank you for this story and poem, it made my life a little easier.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:51 PM

One day last year my five year old daughter asked me &quot;Daddy, why were you in the military?&quot; I had to stop and think about how to explain something like that to her, but then I said &quot;Because I wanted to make sure that you could go to sleep at night and not have to worry about bad people hurting you, and so that you could grow up and be whatever you wanted to be.&quot; She thought about it for a while, and asked me if I was a hero. I said no, I was just doing my part, and she said &quot;Well, you're my hero.&quot;<br><br>Richard, you, and all of the other brave men and women that either have already served, or are continuing to do so, YOU are my heroes.<br><br>God bless
Old 02-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Chapter President

RottnRam<br>Thank you and your husband Richard for that memory like your husband I was in that combat zone for 2 1/2 years also,and remember Bob Hope and his USO shows...it was a piece of home brought to us in a hostile environment that always left us thinking about being home soon....I made it home and like your husband my welcome home was not a fun greeting and that didnt matter because I was just happy to be back...now I am too old to fight my countrys wars...but I am not too old to fight for my country if the war is here in my country....I will fight to my death to live in this free country rather then see it come under another goverments control
Old 02-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got this the other day in an email.<br>I dont know if the image is real or doctored... but it looks cool either way!<br><br>The caption in the email states that this was over a control tower in Texas.<br><br><br>Rich<br><br>
Old 02-05-2003, 01:22 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that.<br>
Old 02-05-2003, 02:12 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

I am sure most of you have seen this but its a great addition to this thread.<br><br>Anonymous<br>Wednesday February 5, 2003 <br>Remember ...<br>It's the Veteran, not the reporter, who gave us our freedom of the press.<br><br>It's the Veteran, not the poet, who gave us our freedom of speech.<br><br>It's the Veteran, not the campus organizer, who gave us our freedom to demonstrate.<br><br>It's the Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine, who salutes the flag, who serves others with respect for the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the Flag.<br><br>And who is the veteran?<br><br>He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.<br><br>She is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Danang.<br><br>He is the Parris Island drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks, soft suburbanites and even hardened gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.<br><br>He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.<br><br>He is the career Quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by, but keeps the supply lines full.<br><br>He is the three Anonymous Heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.<br><br>He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a **** death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.<br><br>He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.<br><br>He is your quick-to-anger golf buddy with a Semper Fi bumper sticker on his truck, who cusses a blue streak and throws clubs ... because he has three blown discs and fused vertebrae in his back from combat; one for each of his tours of duty in Viet Nam. <br><br>He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.<br><br>He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.<br><br>So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.<br><br>Two little words that mean a lot, &quot;THANK YOU.&quot;<br><br>
Old 02-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=DieselDaze link=board=10;threadid=10472;start=0#101013 date=1044472933]<br><br><br>The caption in the email states that this was over a control tower in Texas.<br><br><br>Rich<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br> Rich that looks like that Tower in texas that former marine shot all those people from in the late sixties at a texas college. He was dropping people over 300yds off on the run.<br><br> Marines can shoot!
Old 02-05-2003, 08:08 PM

I would like to apologize to the board for what appears to be a misunderstanding. I recieved this as a email several days ago with the intention of sharing this heart felt story. I had no intention on being deceitful. My intentions was to acknowledge the men and women of the armed forces and express my deepest appreciation for those who defend our freedom. I am a 33 yr old male without wife or family but have the honor of being the son of a Veteran.<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Kurt
Old 02-06-2003, 10:59 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

[quote author=PistolWhipt link=board=10;threadid=10472;start=0#100272 date=1044358702]<br>[glow=red, 2, 300]God Bless you Richard ... Thank you.[/glow]<br><br>I am a small and precious child, my dads been sent to fight..<br>The only place I'll see his face, is in my dreams at night.<br>He will be gone too many days for my young mind to keep track.<br>I may be sad, but I am proud. My daddy's got your back..<br><br>I am a caring mother. My son has gone to war..<br>My mind is filled with worries that I have never known before.<br>Everyday I try to keep my thoughts from turning black.<br>I may be scared, but I am proud..My son has got your back..<br><br>I am a strong and loving wife, with a husband soon to go.<br>There are times I'm terrified in a way most never know.<br>I bite my lip, and force a smile as I watch my husband pack..<br>My heart may break, but I am proud..My husbands got your back..<br><br>I am a Sailor ..Serving Proudly, standing tall.<br>I fight for freedom, yours and mine by answering this call.<br>I do my job while knowing, the thanks it sometimes lacks.<br>Say a prayer that I'll come home. It's me who's got your back.<br> <br>(Author Unknown)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>GO NAVY<br><br>Thanks for that PistolWhipt
Old 02-06-2003, 02:45 PM

Just to let you know, thanks to DNA testing there is one less unknown in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier than there was before. Lt. Michael J. Blassie was the Vietnam Era fourth soldier and was identified in June of 1998 by comparison with family members. There are still three soldiers entombed there, from WWI, WWII and the Korean War. <br><br>Thanks Lt. Blassie and rest easy, we're not giving up the fight. <br><br>Jean
Old 02-07-2003, 11:08 PM

Way to go Air Force! <br><br>That formation was over Randolph Air Force Base. Would of loved to see all those aircraft form up high in the wild blue yonder. Have to give the AF a big cheer! Our daughter is proudly serving. ;D<br><br>Papa Smurf is returning to support his fellow Marines and Mama Smurf is keeping her boots shined and waiting to be called forward when needed.<br><br>God Bless the US Military, the Coast Guard and the MARINES!<br><br>Leigh