Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Glass Shop Gets Nosy Under the Hood - Ever had your truck joyrided/violated?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass Shop Gets Nosy Under the Hood - Ever had your truck joyrided/violated?

Replaced the rear glass slider today with an aftermarket, hood pops up. Thankyou glass shop for being nosy and taking her for a joyride.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that man...

I'm like you, I have stood in the bay watching them do the work on my truck... She is my baby.

I really hope they didn't joy-ride it... And no one has messed with my truck like that. That I know of...
Old 10-01-2005, 12:49 AM

I feel for you!

That's why I stand there and wait for my truck if and when it is worked on by someone other than myself. If it needs to go for a test drive, I drive it. So far no shop has complained.

Jeff
Old 10-01-2005, 01:32 AM

Make sure you let the owner know. I am sure the people you talked to wont mention it to him. Bad enough they were poking around where they shouldnt be, but you could have been hurt or hurt others in a wreck that it could have caused! Let us know what the owner says. Very curious to see what he tells you. Glad the truck and you werent injured.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:29 AM

I wonder if they had the hood open to disconnect the batteries so they wouldn't go dead? Or they did go dead (having the doors open to work on the glass) and it needed to be charged? Don't always assume the worst.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I hope your truck is ok, that first hood "pop"usually screws up the hinges.
I do not leave my truck with anyone unless I have no choice, only 2 times, when I had it painted after my accident and when I had my trans built and then I went by the shop probably 3 times a day. I watch it as much as I do my kids.. And then I write down my mileage, hours to 1/10 min. and how much fuel in the tank. And understanding that might have to road test it.
It would be different if they would have ask cause then heck then you have to brag and if you are like me, I am happy to talk and show anybody the truck.

Back in 1968 I had a trick 1965 mustang fastback with 289 high performance. Anyway I was working in El Monte, Ca. and I dropped it off at Earl Schieb in El Monte to have it painted (We’ll Paint Any car Any color only $19.95)..
This car was show quality inside and out, anyhow it was 10:00 A.M. and I went on first break, so I was talking with my buddies when I heard the unmistakable sound of a small block solid lifter engine winding out then the gurgling sound of when the 7200 RPM rev limiter kicking in. We look up and there I see a car racing down Baldwin Ave. right in front of me with a red head female in the passenger seat probably 80 MPH.
I just stood there for a second in awe thinking hey.. Someone has a car just like mine.
Then it sunk in, hey that is MY car. Here I am I was stuck at work so I called my mom and told her what had happened and she called the shop. They said, “It is in the shop being sanded right and will be ready tonight. So 4:30 came and I got off work and I went to the shop to see what in the heck was going on. The painter said it was in the spray booth right now and I can’t see it.
As we were standing there here comes my car as it pulls in the gate still unpainted with the manager driving it. So I act blonde and ask what’s going on? He said oh we took it down to get a part around the corner, that’s all.
I checked the odometer and it had 85 miles more on it than when I dropped it off, the white carpeting had footprints and beach sand all over the floorboards, cigarette butts in the ashtray and long red hairs all over, and a puddle of oil dripping from the transmission.
BUSTED I called the police and reported it then took the car home.
I took Earl Scheib to court and he had to show. I stated what had happened and his defense was “well you signed a contract that says we are not responsible for any damage that might occur in the shop.”
I won the case and got $1000.00 to repair the oil leak and I got the best paint job for FREE.

Fixed the oil leak with a input bearing and seal. $20.00
And the reason not to trust anyone…
Sorry for the long post.
Jim
Old 10-02-2005, 12:25 AM

we used to do the same thing at a tire shop i worked at, but we always made sure the hood was latched . Although someone brought in a dakota r/t (sweet truck) i looked under the hood to see if it were stock and i found a fanbelt that was nearly broken. When the customer came back, i made up some reason why i popped his hood and told him about the belt. The guy was glad i noticed it. I guess it can work both ways sometimes.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Banned

This is why I refuse to take my truck somewhere unless it is just absolutely beyond my ability. I hated taking my truck to dealer. Always afraid of what they would do to it. I've got a very nice sound system in there and I was worried about them blowing it. So I took the face plate off, took the fuse out of both amps, unplugged stuff, everything I could to make sure they weren't gonna damage it. Then they tried to void the warranty on me for having them. I was glad the chris at relentless diesel let me watch. Heck, he even asked me if I wanted to ride with him when he tested the stock tranny pressures. Now that's a man that I'd let drive my truck no matter what. You ask me to drive it, no problem, but if you just go and drive it without me knowing, you better be ready for either a severe butt chewing or an even worse beating if I found out you actually beat on my truck. If I have to take my truck to any place to work on it and leave it there, I'm pulling the comp so the truck goes into limp mode. Guaranteed no more than 55mph full throttle. Don't ask me how I know. I hope everything's alright with your truck and good luck getting ahold of the owner. Getting hold of him is gonna be harder than getting a hold of a greased up midget.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took mine in for new tires and the first thing they did was pop the hood.
I said EXCUSE ME, you don't put tires under the hood and there is nothing under ther you need to see. I can count on one hand the number of times mine has been left somewhere and still have four fingers left over. I got too much in this truck for some goober to tear it up.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on guys... They want to see what you got under your hood. That's not a bad thing. That just means they think that your truck is sexy and they want to get a little more intimate with it... It's a compliment; maybe not a compliment to you, but definitely to your truck.

Ya'll are like those overprotective fathers who chase with a shotgun anybody that so-much-as looks at their daughters.

Now it was pretty stupid that they didn't manage to close the hood all the way. I don't know about the Dodges, but I've done that twice on our Duramax. You can drop that hood from about a foot off the clamp and it sounds like it's shut, but then it flies back open when you take off. Something about these new hoods over the past few years that requires you to lean up on them after you've shut them in order to get them to seal properly.

Now I don't think that there is an excuse for joyriding in a car, but taking a peek under the hood sounds pretty reasonable to me. I guess that I'm an exhibitionist?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:00 PM

I dont think anyone here is being over protective of there trucks! I dont need any 5 dollar an hour tire monkey lookin under my hood or joy riding my truck not that it would ever happen but still.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Begle1,
So if I came to your house to fix the kitchen sink, and you later found out I was looking through your dresser drawers, you wouldn't be upset?
Where my truck goes,....I go.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

If you want to go through my dresser drawers be my guess. Just don't sue me when you find something that scares you.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
If you want to go through my dresser drawers be my guess. Just don't sue me when you find something that scares you.
......starting to rethink my decision to nominate a certain blue truck for TOM.......

Old 10-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Wow. While it is good that some people are passionate about their trucks I really don't agree with the tire monkey crap comments. Lots of jobs out there. Some good, some not. They all got to be done.
Anyway to me it is just a truck. Maybe I don't run the financial line as close as you guys do to get all bent if someone wants to look at an engine. You guys figure you got that much to lose??
Lots of good reading and info on this site if you can sometimes get past the bibles with the Cummins badge on them.

Quick Reply: Glass Shop Gets Nosy Under the Hood - Ever had your truck joyrided/violated?