Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gieco insurance.....any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004 | 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gieco insurance.....any comments?

My auto insurance is due and as many of you I receive a flood of paperwork in the mail about different companies. I called Geico and they were over 300 dollars cheaper for the same coverage on my truck and car. Anyone here used them? They did state that they had no problem using factory parts for repairs and one of my prefered body shops is on there "to use" list. Any good/bad stories with using them? Thanks!

Jay
Old 07-09-2004 | 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read several complaints regarding claims coverage. I inquired once due to the same mailers and when I asked where the nearest claims center was they just kept saying, all over, but failed to say exactly where. Try GMAC. Ive had good luck with them, although I have made no claims either.
Old 07-10-2004 | 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Mine was wrecked back in Feb. 04, I took it to the body shop Where I wanted the work to be done. I had already discussed a custom paint job and bed liner with this body shop a couple of weeks prior, which is about 55 miles away from where I live. It was about 3 weeks before I got my truck back, but some of that was do to receiving damaged panels from the dealer. The whole time, they paid $20 a day for the rental car, my part was $3.25 a day. After getting the truck back, I called the adjuster cause my driving lights up front, and my back up lights in the back had not been replaced. He told me to replace them and mail/fax him the receipt. I faxed him the receipt, and 2 days later had the check. My rate went up whole $3.50 a month when we renewed in July. My opinion, I was very happy with the service I received from Geico. In fact, at this time, my truck is back at that same body shop getting the custom paint and bed liner, I should have it back by mid week.
Old 07-10-2004 | 10:12 PM

Been with them for over 10 years, with two girls and couple of wrecks one on the wife and one with 17 yr old daughter and have no complaints. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 07-10-2004 | 11:16 PM

And i love that lil Gecco Fellah!
Old 07-11-2004 | 08:24 AM

I guess I have another position on them. For me, thier prices are typically higher. I use them, currently for my boat (SkiSafe) and they are three times higher than Allstate, but I have a couple tickets (one about to fall off).

The other reason I don't like them: They provide police departments with free radar guns. The idea behind it is simple. People speed and this allows them to up the rates on their customers. I currenly use a company called Bear River Mutual and on two cars, full coverage, I pay $800/year.
Old 07-12-2004 | 06:48 AM

Maybe I should try them, Insurance for my truck costs me $4600 a year.

19, 1 wreck w/citation, 1 without, and now a couple of DOT Tickets that will probably affect it even more (they shouldn't, but with my insurance company, )

I love being a teen, or young adult, or whatever the heck they call us crazy youngun's now.

Chris
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:05 AM

I know some people claim they saved a lot of money by switching to Geico.....In my case, Auto Club had them beat by about $300/year.
Old 07-12-2004 | 11:50 AM

Every year we have insuranse Co's submit a bid for our insuranse needs . They are told from the git go that, Low bidder gets it. The specific requirements are, that the policy must meet, or exceed the current policy.

Geico typicly is at least $300 higher, and when all policies are added up ----- significantly higher.
Old 07-12-2004 | 12:25 PM

I guess the real advice you are getting from here is: SHOP AROUND. Every year or two, I shop around for insurance on everything: Car, boat, motorcycle, house, etc.

Insurance companies typically have a target customer in mind. Some, like Geico and Progressive, target people with less than perfect driving. Others, like State Farm, target families with houses. Others target specific demograpgics (motorcyclists, etc). However, within each one of the target markets, they like some diversity. So, sometimes you can get a break by switching, even if you believe you have a good rate.

For example, a few years ago I was with State Farm. They had rate increases in motorcycle rates. Then, Allstate wanted more business, so the took motorcycle insurance for rates less than State Farm, if you moved over your house and cars (the rates for motorcycles alone were high). So, they were looking to get additional customers and the motorcycle policy allow them to do this (for me, anyway).

This last time I was checking around, I called all the big company's agents. Then, I called a couple independents. In the end, my insurance rates dropped in half.
Old 07-14-2004 | 03:39 PM

I'd never go through them again!
we were shopping around and they came in with the best quote... until the actrual bill came, it was two and a half times higher than the quote.

had an accident and it took them over a month to get me check for my totalled car. and my car was toted off before I could get stuff out of the trunk, and they wouldn't cover it or any of the other interior contents
Old 04-20-2006 | 02:04 AM
Banned

read a lot of commments bout them but they are also in one of the top list see http://www.insurancepaylite.com check different insurance companies ranking and prices...
Old 04-20-2006 | 02:52 AM

Insurance

I used to use them. However I called progressive and they were about a grand cheaper than gieco a year. I pay 2800 a year, that is for 2 fourwheelers, 2 cars (05 ram diesel and 96 mercury sable), and both me and my fianc`e on both of them. I've had excellent service with them and have no complaints. I always see them out on the road and all that. They cover the trailer, and will cover lots (gieco didn't do dirtbikes or ATV's) so to me I needed a company that did everything.

4600 a year is crazy, man. I just didn't want to pay that. I was paying 2800 a year for my little s-10 with a 4 banger and a 5 speed. I can't believe it was more than my cummins. Stupid way they classify it. it was a "sport" truck so they rated it higher even though my cummins would cause 100% more damage than that s-10 every could.
Old 04-20-2006 | 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 23 and still live with my parents while in colege. Myself, mom, dad, and sister (19) are on the same policy. I had 3 accidents (none my fault) and they went up to bat for us every time.

Their prices were far cheaper than anyone else.

Now, here's why we still don't have them. Most companies will work with you, and put younger driver on the oldest, least valuable vehicle. They would NOT do this. They wanted us to get a letter notorized pretty much swearing that we were not going to drive other vehicles regularly and for what the uses of the vehicles were. This all happened when I bought my truck. The Ram was much more valuable than the Honda Accord I had. This was also around the same time my mom went from a 93 Ford Taurus to a 05 Camry, and my sister started driving. This causes us to want to do some switch-a-roo's on the policy, and that's when they wanted the letter.

It was a big mess and the prices were going to end up so much higher, that it wasn't worth it.
Old 04-20-2006 | 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been using Progressive for years. My truck is around $800 per year, the Magnum is $500 per year (go figure). The Harley is $100.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Gieco insurance.....any comments?