Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ghost in the Machine???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost in the Machine???

I think there is a haint in my PC. It shuts down whenever it feels like it. There is no rhyme or reason, it just reboots. I have never been doing the same thing twice on it when it happened.
Anyone else experience this? Should I call Ghostbusters?

~Rob
Old 08-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Try and run a virus scan on your computer.
There have been several viruses that have done this. Also have you installed anything new lately?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 AM

Hi Jim,
I run Hijackthis, CWShredder, and Ad-Aware SE 1.06(?) about every 2 days.
I also have Symantec AV corporate edition running all the time.
None of them have indicated they found anything that would cause my problem.

Thanks,
~Rob
Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 AM

Could be heat related or the memory decided to take a dump on you.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I also have had this problem and run plenty of av software and the like. It will get to the point that I start looking at new computers and then it just stops doing it. It has done this three times to me. Runs great for months or so then acts up for a month or two then back to normal. My Brother in Law is a major computer geek and he tells me it is my memory failing. And I had put in an additional aftermarket memory stick in it a couple years ago. The IT guy at work tells me it is the hard drive. So what to do? Back to normal right now so new pc is going to wait. Next time I may go ahead and go new as this one is now about 4 or 5 yrs old and with its age am not willing to spend money on it to upgrade to dvd etc.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:58 PM

I would bet RAM before a failing hard drive. You will hear the drive when it's going bad. Ram is cheap now. I'd pull your stick's and go down to the local chain store and replace. Only other thing I can come up with would be power supply but when they fail they don't power up again or your fan isn't working causing the motherboard/processer to overheat and reboot.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our E machine is doing the same thing for the last several months. Weve virus scanned it, taken it in, reloaded eyerything (windows XP) replaced the memory,run spy ware ,cleaned it out several times which works at times, and updated windows as necessary which is almost daily, if it will stay on long enough. All in all I gave up, it just shuts off and the run light stays orange. You gotta restart and go again. Its going in the trash today and being replaced with a new tower. No more e machines here.
BTW I heard Ford owned them
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by hotdram
Hi Jim,
I run Hijackthis, CWShredder, and Ad-Aware SE 1.06(?) about every 2 days.
I also have Symantec AV corporate edition running all the time.
None of them have indicated they found anything that would cause my problem.

Thanks,
~Rob
The times that this has happened to me turned out to be bad or incompatible RAM. Might also be a new device driver if you recently added any new hardware.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM

Have you opened up the box and confirmed that the fans are clean and operating correctly? Shut downs due to over heating isn't too far fetched.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by jfpointer
The times that this has happened to me turned out to be bad or incompatible RAM......
Uh,
There's nothing wrong with my truck, it's my computer I'm having problems with.
I am very compatible with my Ram

Thanks for the heads up.
I had the power supply replaced about 2 months ago. After the new p/s, I removed the pc from the computer desk that it was in that had a little storage cabinet for the pc. It was way too hot in there. It looked nice by hiding the pc, but wasn't healthy for it.
About 1 month ago, I started having issues with the USB2.0 ports (have to unplug my printer before I can get my pocket pc and some other devices to connect correctly etc). I don't know if any of this is inter-releated or not.

~Rob
Old 08-11-2005, 04:22 PM

Heat = bad for computers, even worse for laptops.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:26 PM

I was crashing with KMODE_EXCEPTION errors until a couple of weeks ago. I pulled all the cards and ram out, blew the dust (LOTS!) out with low pressure air, sprayed the card and ram slots with contact cleaner and threw it back together. Got an immeadiate memory error. Pulled out a 128Mb stick and away it went. I've since added a 512Mb stick (ebay $65CAN delivered) and it's running great. It's noisier though, now that some air is going through it.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by jfpointer
The times that this has happened to me turned out to be bad or incompatible RAM. Might also be a new device driver if you recently added any new hardware.
What OS are you running? not ME I hope. You might have a failing power supply.
One thing I have found is when you install your MS updates I have had more than a couple of the systems start doing mysterious things afterwards.
It will replace drivers without asking and install patches that don't always work for your hardware.
Your system might be set up to update them and not notify you .
Spy-Bot has screwed up quite a few systems, some to the point that it will not even boot.

BTW I do not have a warm feeling for E-machines followed by the cow machines , HP/ compaq and the BIG BROTHER of them all Dell.
You would be shocked if you knew what information it is giving away
Old 08-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by nirion
Could be heat related or the memory decided to take a dump on you.
Could be heat related or the memory decided to take a dump on you
I had a real cooling problem when I built my last computer and it would do all kind of strange things. I finally dumped all 8 of the case fans and the processor fan and installed a Corsair HydroCool liquid cooling system. This cured all of the overheating problems, it now runs 24/7 and stays at a stable 90*F
I am running a LGA775 3.8 Ghz Intel CPU, Intel D925XCV MB, Raid controller, 4GB DDR ram, ATI AIW Pro video plus 5 IDE & 1 SATA harddrives. They were all screaming HOT HOT HOT

BTW Of course I modded my HydroCool
Old 08-12-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hotdram,
Could you give some information on your computer? Like type, processor, OS, etc.
The USB 2.0 is a clue. Does your 1.0 devices work ok like keyboard or mouse?

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Ghost in the Machine???