Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Getting into welding, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get tensile strengths of various degrees with mig wire. It use to be that a mig was not as reliable as stick or tig but those days are gone.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:49 PM

I have a Lincoln 175 TIG mate. It does everything I need it for from narrowing rear ends to chassis fab. I have even welded .015 stainless and aluminum with it. Any TIG will be slower than a good mig but the welds are strong and look nice, and don't require any cleanup. It's an every day tool in my little space.

Consumables cost a bit but I've only broken 1 ceramic cup and had one collet holder seize up in 4 years with it. I don't use up tungstens very fast as I don't stick them in the weld .....very often My hoses, cables and foot pedal are still the originals. I do get owly if someone steps on my cables however.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 PM

A lot of you guys have put in some good input, i am confused though now, its not a bad thing though some of you have opened my eyes to other possibilites, possibly not spending as much money and having a machine that can do the projects i have in mind.

If you guys were me.

What EXACT machine would you purchase?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nfsommer

Me? I'd get the most flexible machine I could that did everything I wanted a just a bit more:

The Millermatic 251

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/..._251/index.php

Later on for another grand or so can add a spool gun later if you dare to try welding aluminum. You can also add a "push/pull" box that will allow you to be more flexible (further away) if the need arises.

Nice set up like this can be had right around $2,000 if you look long enough.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 PM

i would look at getting a older tig machine. it will stick weld or tig, get one with a built in high freq. unit for welding aluminum. nothing can do as nice of a job as tig weliding. you are in total control of what you are welding. the only thing that mig has going for it is speed, i have both mig and tig machines. and the mig is sweet when i am in need of speed. but the tig will do many thing the mig will never do. i would look to get a machine like this or bigger.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Miller-SR-150-32...em220091684340
Old 03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
P.J
Banned

That would be a nice machine, with the high freq. unit and all already there.......
Old 03-22-2007, 01:15 PM

thank you guys, any ideas where id be able to get a miller machine for the best price? I really have no idea where id even go, is purchasing online a good idea or bad idea?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
P.J
Banned

These machines are quite heavy, the deal would have to be very good to make it worthwhile with shipping and all.

I would check out the local places first, it is nice to have somewhere to go in and ask minor questions an/or buy the small expendable items (tips, nozzles, clear lenses, etc).
Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
A lot of you guys have put in some good input, i am confused though now, its not a bad thing though some of you have opened my eyes to other possibilites, possibly not spending as much money and having a machine that can do the projects i have in mind.

If you guys were me.

here's a good forum to ask any welding questions
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...f=4&order=desc
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I would just go to home depot or something like that and get a AC/DC stick machine for around $200. You can add mig or tig on to this power source. You will find that you will have that machine for ever, even if it just sits in the corner, because you have progressed to better equipment it is there and payed for and got you to where you are.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 PM

to my understanding i have been told if i was going to build a rock crawler id need a tig because of the strength vs a mig?
whatever you choose keep this in mind. a weld done properly will yield at least 50% stronger then the parent material--- ie. the steel or aluminum would tear before the weld would break
Old 03-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Clayten
I would just go to home depot or something like that and get a AC/DC stick machine for around $200. You can add mig or tig on to this power source. You will find that you will have that machine for ever, even if it just sits in the corner, because you have progressed to better equipment it is there and payed for and got you to where you are.
If you pay 200 dollars for a welder.........you get a 200 dollar welder, yes you can add mig or tig but its just not the same. Do it right the first time.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by logskidder
If you pay 200 dollars for a welder.........you get a 200 dollar welder, yes you can add mig or tig but its just not the same. Do it right the first time.
I understand your point completely. But the guy is just starting out. I can imagine that money could be a main consideration. Like I say he can up grade as his jobs and talents progress.
I have worked as a welder in many high code jobs, gas plants,pipelines, other xray type work. I have a $200 dollar AC welder in my shop and for what I do around home it works good. I also have a DC converter if I need to run DC. And I have a son that has had me make him several roll cages (of course I get the big bucks on those jobs).
My point is getting started, one probably wants to keep the cost down. That way he can afford more tools to do more things such as cut off saw, pipe bender, gas torch, a couple grinders, clamps, hammers, and of course a broom to clean up at the end of a hard day. This is just a quick list of needed tools for start up. We all know we can go over the top when it comes time to buy toys,I mean tools.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 AM

Ok guys were all getting carryed away here. What we really need to know is what type of back ground of welding does this guy have, before you even think of building a tube buggy. I would sugest if you haven't taken any classes take a class and the local trade center/ school. like a 1 class on night a week. get a bit of a back ground. beore you dive in. then you can learn the skill before you just jump on in. Oh as for a back ground I have a degree in welding and work as a welder. for the last 5 years, hold various certs. to all sorts of companys, from boom truck to overhead cranes to jet engine test stands to govenment . sorry to drag on but, Just want a fellow member to be safe. Mig welders are great. fast and strong when done RIGHT. key when done right. Tig is very clean and lets you take pride in every weld when done right. and for what you build your buggy out of You need to USE TUBE not pipe. such as Dom Tube. You will Need A Tubeing bender not A Pipe bender a pipe bend will not work to bend tube. it will split and smash. hope this helps please feel free to send me a pm with more questions. Not tryign to start an arugement here just want fellow member to be safe. also most welders out there are more than willing to give ya some tips, be in the end you need to find your own grove.