Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Get your physical

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with it at all, I actually think its a great thing.

My father died almost 6 years ago of Prostate Cancer which was also one month before my child/his first grand child was born. He knew something wasnt right with his body but because he was so hard headed he didnt go to the Dr. until it was to late and because of that he missed out on seeing his first grand child and many other things.

Dont be ignorant and think you cant get prostate cancer.

And as someone said "when your time is up, your time is up" yes that is very true but why not try to make you time here a little longer.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Physical Exam

The reason for a finger wave is simple: After getting a PSA (bloodtest) even if it is normal, One needs to examine the prostate for size, (is it enlarged?, is it symetrical?) and texture (is it firm or hard: if hard could be cancer , or infected, if lumpy, could be very small cancers that have not yet begun to secrete measurable levels of Prostatic Specific Antigen). If very large, but not cancerous, that is called BPH or benign prostatic hypertrophy. Not cancerous, but needing medicine or surgery to correct flow problems.
One way or the other, a doctor is NOT doing you any favors by skipping this exam. It is NECESSARY, and life saving.
If you think that this exam is uncomfortable or embarrassing, try a bout of cancer, and all the surgery, and radiation treatments. Now THAT is uncomfortable.
No two ways about it: at the current rate of Prostate Cancer in America, One man in 5 is going to have some problem.
Get the exam, don't put it off, and please get over the childish reluctance. It can mean your life. THEN who's going to take care of the wife and kids, when you are unable?
I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn, last night, but I am retired from 25 years in the practice of Medicine.
As to company sponsored exams: NO personal information is transmited to the employer, with the possible exception of the urine drug test, and you may have already signed a release for that information. Otherwise, ALL medical info is private, private, private.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
NWDave - - I agree witcha, baby. Just had the wave today, PSA next Monday and the oscopy thingy in two weeks. Life is short enough to not take every precaution possible to make it a happy one. Having a pretty lady for a doctor does help.
Bob
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I had just had my exam (happy 40th to me) a few months back. (actually had to go back for a re-exam)I was told that just a blood test is not enough.
All I can add for the others is try to think that the glass is half full- not a pleasant experience to endure but you are healthy. Not a bad trade.
Also- dont complain to your wives about your visit. You wont get any sympathy.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 AM

Had my prostate removed about 12 years ago, cancer. Found in the yearly exam. A life saver. Have had pallops removed also in that exam.
Take care of yourself.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM

FINALLY browbeat - er, convinced - hubby into getting his first physical in eons, at age 60.... came back with "too fat, somewhat elevated blood pressure and high cholesterol, and enlarged prostate." Dr. prescribed pills, but told him that saw palmetto taken on a regular basis would be as effective (in his case, anyhow) and had many fewer side effects.

He's been taking the saw palmetto religiously and has experienced marked improvement in his, well, flow, and holding ability
for you guys who may be noting similar issues.....

Oh, and get the standardized extract kind, not the ground plant parts. Same cost and much more effective!

Kate
crusty old lady, married to crustier old man)
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Be sure to do it, my grandfather had it, then it went to the bone which is where it commonly goes from the prostate and you couldent touch him he hurt so bad, he shrank to 115 pounds before he passed he was to weak to move, he went to hospice where he passed on. What I am getting at is he caught his cancer in the first stages and it helped him to live some great years with this hellish disease. RIP Wilson M. Clark