Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Get your physical

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just out of curosity, how far ahead do you have to schedule? For me, a week or less is about average.

I forgot to mention...even though I've been retired for 9 years, I still get the free checkup.

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Healthcare north of the border is completely different than in the U.S. I dont have to pay to get a physical. If I want to go and have a physical - it should be up to ME - NOT my employer.

Sorry guys, I definitly dont mean to start anything here...just giving my opinion, right or wrong...
Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really depends on the doctor and how busy they are...my doctor does only physicals on wednesdays.

I dunno how far hes booked in advance though.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 PM

I dont know what you do for a living - but I would have some real concerns about the companies motive.

To me, that is a serious invasion of your rights and personal privacy. They may have the best intentions, but that tactic sure wouldnt work on me.
I had the same thoughts when they initiated it. I work for a major French nuclear company. They do regular urinalysis on everybody to check for radiation exposure. I don't go to the minesite that often to worry about it too much.

I guess it's a sign of the times. A guy has to suck it up and go with it or find another job. There's a history of heart desease and cancer in my family so I don't mind too much that I have to get a yearly medical. Being 50 changes your outlook on things a bit. I hadn't been to the doc for a couple of years and it was good to find out everything is OK.

BTW, the first prostrate exam is the worst. After the first I can't help feeling a little sorry for the doc. There's a lot more pleasant ways to earn a living.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an employee,you have the right to refuse the exam. As an employer, I should have the right to terminate you if you do.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
As an employer, I should have the right to terminate you if you do.
I'm not an attorney, but Im not sure that would fly if you took it to court.

You could also take this to a Human Rights Commission.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by berner
I had the same thoughts when they initiated it. I work for a major French nuclear company. They do regular urinalysis on everybody to check for radiation exposure. I don't go to the minesite that often to worry about it too much.

I guess it's a sign of the times. A guy has to suck it up and go with it or find another job. There's a history of heart desease and cancer in my family so I don't mind too much that I have to get a yearly medical. Being 50 changes your outlook on things a bit. I hadn't been to the doc for a couple of years and it was good to find out everything is OK.

BTW, the first prostrate exam is the worst. After the first I can't help feeling a little sorry for the doc. There's a lot more pleasant ways to earn a living.

Well, that sheds a bit more light on it - I could see having to have a medical if exposed to heavy duty nuclear sources.

You do this in toon town?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned

If I pay for any part of your health care. You play by my rules. And why do you have the right to increase the cost of everyone elses care if you have a disease which could have been caught early and cured at min. expense.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:37 AM

Well, that sheds a bit more light on it - I could see having to have a medical if exposed to heavy duty nuclear sources.

You do this in toon town?
I work in the head office in Saskatoon but fly up to the minesites occasionally. Some co-workers spend a lot of time up there. And of course the week in - week out people are monitored very closely. Everyone up there wears radiation monitoring equipment and has a urinalysis done regularly to determine their total yearly dose. If their level is getting close to the maximum, they're assigned work in low to no radiation areas until their level drops. The max level allowed up there is well below the standard max level set by the authorities for the general population.

I imagine that more and more companies will start doing compulsory medicals. I don't think that the doctors can tell your employer any details, just whether or not you have a clean bill of health. It'll be interesting to see if the Human Rights issue comes up.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
You play by my rules.
I dont play by anybodys rules - except for Larys...

FYI, annabelle my employer pays very little of my health care - money comes off my paycheque and I pay HORRENDOUS taxes. You obviously are an employer - we will not see eye to eye on this.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

My company use to require it every two years after age 50. They also highly recommend the oscopy thing too which I am not convinced I really need either.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Instead of getting into a whining contest about whose right it is to ignore or comply, how about just getting it done. I'm a PROSTATE CANCER (PCa) survivor. I had my surgery Jan 4 1999. Some dates tend to stick with you. I'm alive today because of an insurance exam. Wanted to increase my life insurance. The company said fine, get a physical. OK, complied. Discovered my PSA was 9.8. For those in the know, that is a dangerous level. Immediate action is keeping me here to tell you MACHO males that if you want to FEAR the DRE, you'd better get the PSA. Prostate Cancer can and is a KILLER. We fall all over ourselves wanting to make sure our wives and girlfriends don't contract breast cancer, and if they do, to get it treated. Do you think for one minute Prostate Cancer is any less deadly? Men's greatest enemy is their own ignorance and denial. "Oh, I don't like the DRE...." You wouldn't like the consequences any better. While we're at it, let's bring up the subject of COLON Cancer..... Go ahead, bury your head in the sand....someone else will love driving your truck. I lost a very good friend (and believe me, they're few and far between) to Colon Cancer. He was only 44 years old. Do I sound upset? You betcha. If you have the ability to use an early detection method that just might save your life...... and you're whining that somebody might be "forcing" you or might "FIRE" you because of failure to comply...... Just take that thought to the grave....

Flak suit and flame suit in position. I know I'm good for a few years....How about you?????

~Looking forward to retirement Dave because I know that I've been Cancer Free (PCa) for 8 years and I just had my Colon checked and the results were satisfactory. Course the blood pressure is up.....
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

True, good we can agree to disagree. Take care.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 AM

I had some very bad news today. A guy from the minesite passed away from a heart attack this AM. He was 46, four years younger than me. I was just talking to him last week when I was up there. Man, I can't believe it. Life is so precious. You never know when your time is up.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 AM

Sorry to hear that berner.

Medical or not, when your time is up - your time is up.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 AM

I'm not an attorney, but Im not sure that would fly if you took it to court.

You could also take this to a Human Rights Commission.
Much of the employment in the U.S. is "at will " http://ppspublishers.com/articles/gl..._terminate.htm
Employees can be terminated with no reason given . There are some cases where certain employees such as whistle blowers are protected by law but proving the termination was discriminatory is very difficult . I have heard of companies getting extreme with the health issue by requiring employees to be nonsmokers and firing them if they smoked at all - even at home . This is illegal but the employer can charge smokers for the added premium costs . http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/09/maga....fsb/index.htm

Quick Reply: Get your physical