Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Get Physical

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get Physical

My father in law had only the DOT physicals for years and never had a complete full blown check up. Diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 months ago and now has advanced too far to remove. Into lymph nodes. If he had done/requested the PSA test that all men should do annually, this could have been detected much sooner. I don't want sound like your doctor or mother or wife but get the checkup because this is hard on rest of family as well as himself. We are hoping for the best for him. Thanks for listening (reading).
Old 01-23-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Get Physical

Good advice, I know some people don't like doctors, me being one of them.
Wife says that i'm afraid to go because he might find something wrong.
Maybe she's right, but I do go for a full blown checkup at least every 2 years even though it takes forever.
As should all of us. We have your father in-law in our prayers.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:33 AM

Horse,<br><br>Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be praying for your father-in-law. I had a prostate biopsy about 2 months ago and the Dr said the results were good and bad. Good - no cancer. Bad -some type of &quot;infection&quot;. Had a second biopsy 3 weeks ago. I'll find out the results in about an hour. <br><br>Guys, it ain't fun - in fact, the biopsy is a real pain in the ___________. But GO GET IT CHECKED OUT!!!!<br><br>DW
Old 01-23-2003, 09:33 AM

sorry to hear that, about you dad <br>hope he gets better <br>
Old 01-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that.<br>My company requires the test every two years for those of us over 40. Yeah, it is a PITA literally but if it will detect early warnings, I will put up with it. They have other tests now too that are less intrusive if you know what i mean.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:56 AM

Just returned from the Dr. NO PROSTATE CANCER!!! <br>;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br><br>There's a little inflammation there due to the biopsys, but nothing to worry about.<br><br>Again, Horse Hauler, my wife and I will be praying for your father-in-law.<br><br>DW<br><br>
Old 01-23-2003, 12:33 PM

Congrats on your negative results! Thanks for the support.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:55 PM

Great to hear DeaconWayne, sorry about your father-in-law Horse Hauler. Once a guy hits 40 I'd say once a year.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:14 PM

I am sorry to hear about your father in law. It is indeed unfortunate that it was caught so late. I'm on the other side of prostate cancer and have so far been cancer free since Jan 1999. I was only 54 when it was discovered, at a fairly advanced stage. Guys, it isn't a joke anymore. Deacon was a close call, not to downplay the infection, that isn't any fun time either. This is serious stuff. Men don't like to think about the consequences of the exam. The alternative is even more severe. I've been there. I don't care to see any of my new friends be there as well. Get the checkup. The first step is a PSA test, a little tiny blood draw to establish your PSA. My greatest fear is not being able to grow old, to see my grand children grow up. Ok, I'm off the soap box.<br><br>~Dave<br><br>
Old 01-24-2003, 06:21 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had so many finger waves that I think I'm beginning to look forward to them.<br>Better go get a lawyer and get him/her to sue someone. I can see the headlines now;<br>&quot;Finger waves cause possible sexual orientation shift.&quot;<br>I need to go chase a laser beam.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=shortround link=board=10;threadid=10012;start=0#95982 date=1043410910]<br>I've had so many finger waves that I think I'm beginning to look forward to them.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Shhhhhhhh new Army Shortround! Don't ask, Don't tell!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:45 PM

My Dad went through a prostate scare last year about this time - it ain't no fun. Get checked out, question the results if you have to. My Dad's results were sent to Duke for a second opinion and the oncologist there said to wait awhile and rebiopsy - second time around the results were negative. The six month followup was also negative. <br><br>I have a friend who caught his colorectal cancer early - another month and he wouldn't be here now. It pays to get checked out every so often.<br><br>Just make sure the doc doesn't have both hands on your shoulder when he goes to check your prostate.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:12 PM

I found this thread and thought I bring it back up for comment. I had a colonoscopy done today and the physician found 2 polyps, 99% sure they're non-malignant, and were excised. So, I'm good for another 5-10 years. As advice to all you over 50 fellas. Get it done! The only thing it hurts is your dignity which I left in the patient locker. I was out the entire procedure, and remember nothing. The hardest part of the procedure is the pre-show cleansing the day before. : Colon cancer is one of the easiest forms to cure if it's caught early. I'm here to tell you the procedure was a piece of cake.......except for the 2 young things helping with the test. :-[ But being I was out cold............
Old 06-18-2003, 08:38 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

I can't vouch for the following info but have read about it many times. It seems that if tomatoes are eaten on a regular basis that it it prevents prostrate problems. From what I have read the scientists have not yet been able to isolate the whatever that prevents the prostrate problems so the advice is to just eat more tomatoes. Can't hurt you.<br>Gotta run. Time to go eat another tomato.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:28 AM

I just had a physical (finger wave included ). Doc says latest recommendation for PSA testing is to begin at age 50 or 10 years before the age that any blood relative (usually father) gets any strange results.<br><br>A longtime friend of the family was supposed to undergo radical prostate removal on Tuesday but called it off because there is a new laparoscopic method for removing the offending tissue. Not too many practitioners right now so he is waiting for a visiting doc to come the UNC Chapel Hill in August to maybe demo on him.<br><br>Bottom line (no pun intended) is get checked, regularly.

Quick Reply: Get Physical