Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

A general "SOUTH" question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A general "SOUTH" question

Hey all,

The wife and I have 4 days off in a row this weekend and are wondering what there is to do around here. Im in the Navy here in Kings Bay Ga, and rented a trailer from the base. Now, where to go is the question. What is there to do here in the south that is a must see. Im from Montana, and shes from Indiana, so we have no clue!!!! Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 PM

UHHHHHH??? Ride up to the Blue Ridge Mountains and get on the parkway. There are tons of things to do around there. DollyWood-----Pigeon Forge-----Alot of museums, parks, wildlife, Helicopter Rides, +++++++-----or head on East to Myrtle Beach and check out the attractions there. BearFootLanding is a great place to shop, eat, anything. Plus it is one of the top 10 Beach Destinations in the World!!! Fun!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also vote for the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. I was there last week.

MikeyB
Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Its summer in Georgia, you sweat. its prolly topping out about 100 with 75% plus humidity. There are some nice old plantation homes to visit. You can go fishing (military ID gets you instate rates in any state).

It really depends on what you like to do.

just remember, it was "The war of NORTHERN aggression", not the "Civil War" you yankees were taught.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner

just remember, it was "The war of NORTHERN aggression", not the "Civil War" you yankees were taught.
I was just taught that it was the war that the South lost.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:49 AM

Head over to North GA, take 441 up north through Franklin, tulla Gorge area. Really nice up in that area, hot but not too hot and great places to camp. Have fun and good luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
welcome to HUMIDITY...a few weeks ago, i would have told you to go up to Elliots Plantation (by the boat ramp) and buy my old house, but we finally sold it.

i would go south - there is a little spit of land right across from the Navy base, you can camp right along there, facitilities, store, beach, really great.

it's where you can drive on the Beach. shoot me an e-mail, and I will send you pics, i went back on travel, took the Rubicon, feeling all tuff on the beach, and there were Camry's out there.

there's a lot to do out there on the water line north of Jax.
i'd adventure that before i tried NC stuff.

okefenokee swamp.

the NC mountains are ~6 hard hours away from you.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Thank you all for all the responses. I think we decided on going to orlando, checking out the titanic museum, and the space center. Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Jekyll Island Georgia is an awesome place to visit!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you're not the guy with the gray truck, with the sewer pipe dual pipes, are you?
that thing is LOUD.

take 17 south into Fernandina, and the Amelia island expressway,
to AMERICAN BEACH.

you can drive onto american beach, and go a long way if you "miss the signs"

all the way to the George Crady Bridge / Amelia Island state park.

get back on road,
keep on A1A to Huguenot Park, and camp there, drive on beach, swim.

its gorgeous.

there's a LOT to be done in that area - but you have to LOOK for it.

pics in my gallery, waiting to be approved.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 PM

LOL No sewer pipes here!!!! Pics in gallery. Thanks again all. Keep em coming...
Old 07-12-2006, 11:11 PM

okefenokee swamp if you can stand the heat. East side is ok, SW side is a state park and I think is a little better. Shadier too, both in the camp and out on the water. You can rent a boat at either. Get the motorboat, forget the canoe, too much work, turns over too easy. Boat riding, fishing, photos, birds, don't feed the alligators, get a map and keep up with where you are, or else it all starts looking the same and gets a little unnerving. Its well marked with signs, but they don't mean much w/o the map.

St Augustine Beach FL is beautiful out on the island. There is a beach side campground. Nice white sand, good food and drinks, not too crowded.

North Ga mountains are nice, provided you are on a cool trout stream. But its a long way from Kings Bay. Anywhere around Clayton, Hiawassee, Blairsville, Dahlonagha. Go for the trout streams, its the only cool place. Waters Creek, Coopers Creek, Rock Creek, Boggs, etc. Lake Burton, Rabun, Tugaloo, Yonah, Tullulah Gorge chain has nice cool water also. If you get in that area, do a guided raft trip on Chattoga River (Deliverance).
Old 07-13-2006, 09:02 PM

The South is full of history!! The War of Northern Agression has left a lot of scars and marks on ole Dixie. I also agree with the vote for the Blue Ridge Parkway. It turns into the Skyline Drive and goes up to Front Royal, VA. Just keep in mind that the South has a special flavor to it. It is a rich heritage that we Southerner's keep close to our heart. I can honestly say, I have never heard of a barroom fight because someone said something about the North!!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Christov
I can honestly say, I have never heard of a barroom fight because someone said something about the North!!
You don't exactly form regional pride when you fight a war half asleep, with one hand tied behind your back and in spite of internal divisions and prejudaces.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Oh, and for everyone that has their ideas of the south, keep in mind, just because we speak a little slower or think about what we say instead of just spouting off, doesn't mean we think slower or are st00pid.

Quick Reply: A general "SOUTH" question