Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gene Pool Cleansing

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
Jeesh the least he could have done is wrapped the wire the right way around the screw. I hate that!
I noticed that too (drives me nuts). It even looks like they forced the wire to wrap the wrong way.

Originally Posted by Scotty
At five years of age I quickly determined that placing a pair of tweezers into an electrical outlet makes for a jolt,
LoL, when I was that age I tried recharging a D cell battery for my Mr. Atomic with two hairpins.
Dad had to paint the wall to get rid of the soot. The snot washed off.
Never give a kid an electric toy unless you are going to buy him lots of batteries.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
The backwards wrapped wire was the first this that caught my attention when I pulled them from the wall, the zizzle did not bother me.

My first encounter with alternating current was when I was 6 months old.

I was sitting on the damp service porch floor in a cloth diaper when I stuck my mom bobby pin into the outlet.

I still remember the flash as I was propelled to the opposite wall.
I have been intrigued with electricity ever since.

I also remember falling out of my high chair when I was 6 months old, my mom said that I landed on my head.

Several years ago I had a complaint at one of our apartment buildings that every time they turned on the air conditioner, about 10 minuets later water starts dripping down out of the ceiling and down the wall.

Nobody could figure this one out since the previous owner and many have tried.

Initially I thought there was probably a broken or misplaced condensate drain but from the outside looking through the attic crawl space everything looked fine.

I turned on the AC and sure enough in about 10 minuets, water starts leaking out of the case and down into the bedroom below.

So I opened up the case and found the problem that everyone had obviously overlooked.

See if you can find the problem.
Should be easy to spot if you know HVAC

Name:  IMG_0396_zpsaf893fbc.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  75.2 KB

If you missed it,

The clown that installed this unit must have been from below the equator.

He installed the air conditioner UPSIDE DOWN.
See the insulation is on the bottom of the unit, not really a problem.

Name:  IMG_0393_zps46736d53.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  68.7 KB

But the condensate drain pan was installed at the top of the A-coil and it is hard to make water drip UP

Name:  IMG_0400_zpscc828fbb.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  47.5 KB

I also have people replace their own filters but leave them in the plastic wrapper and suck the condensate out of the pan.
No secondary pan.

Jim
Old 03-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, he got the sticker in right side up!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

What's an air conditioner? I would never had noticed it. Now heaters I know something about.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 AM

Well if the unit had been set up as a vertical unit, the drain connection would have worked just fine. Like you said, he installed it upside down in the horizontal configuration. I wonder how the TXV operates in the orientation it is set up as well, but then I guess they keep shutting it off after 10 minutes so it never worked very long when it ran.

Gary
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I've seen a 5 gal bucket under a leaky (insert problem here) above a ceiling or in an attic way too many times. Knocked one over once fishing wires across bar joists in a drop ceiling, dumped all the water into a brand new $4k printer. Boss took it pretty good actually!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys would love my place
The entire second floor( 3 bedrooms,each with a window ac unit) is run off a mix of newer copper romex hooked into the old *** and tube aluminum and the whole floor is fed off one 30 amp breaker ...
THE BOSS went to hang a picture in the dining room using a drywall hook, 5 foot off the floor she punctured the wire feeding all 4 outlets in the room.

Whoever wired the place when they added electricity to it ( house was built before electric was around) did a bang up job,,,,,,
Lol
Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I rented an old farm house once that was built without a basement, and the basement was added later. The pump needed service, so I shut it off with the switch near the pump. When I touched the pump, it knocked me on my can.

All the switches in the basement wiring were in the white wires. Lucky nobody got killed.