Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gas in Diesel lawn tractor have ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas in Diesel lawn tractor

well like the title says we have a Grasshopper Diesel lawn tractor at work and well one of are new guys filled it up with gas and tryed to drive it around (same guys that in a corse of a week tore the finder off the John Deere Gator, put a 90* bend in an edger and weedeater, and now this, needless to say they no longer work for us) I just hope I caught it early enough, I dont know when he filled it up with gas but I caught him drving it out of the shop and it sounded bad. My question is what all do I need to do to clean it out? I have allready drained the tank, changed the fuel filter, and while changing the filter I pulled the hose off and cranked the motor to see if I could get anything else out of the lines, alittle came out but not much. When I fill it back up with diesel should I run any addative like power serive or anything like that? Thanks for the help guys
JW

P.S. wasnt tell after I posted that I noticed its in the wrong place, could the admin help me move it to the General Diesel Discussion.

Last edited by JWillms81; 05-07-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong board and thought I could delete the whole post, guess not
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power service is a good idea. run some two stroke oil through it aswell and hope for the best.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the fast reply DJ, this thing only has an 8 gal. tank any idea on how much 2 stroke, I have bottles of that stuff laying around that we use in are smaller machines.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM

i used to have an endless supply of 2 stroke oil when working as a small engine mechanic.

couldn't tell you how much, maybe 200ml?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 PM

There is an excellent thread in the 1st gen section on 2 cycle oil for lubrication - not all are the same.

That said, general consensus is 1 ounce per gallon of the TCW3 rated oil.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I got it running today after lunch. Decided what the heck put about 1/3 of a bottle of 2 cycle oil (not a very big bottle only makes 2 gallons or regular mixed gas) and about 4-5 gallons of diesel and gave it a shot. It took a while to get started and even then it took acouple more starts to get it running smooth. Took it for a spin around the parking lot and its seams back to normall. No I can take it to are mechanice to have him fix the frame that another guy broke (long story short we dont have the brightest people working for us some times). Thanks for the help
JW
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM

I had this happen with my John Deere diesel garden tractor a few years back. I was gone on a business trip, and my wife and her brother thought they would help me out by mowing the lawn. He proceded to fill up my diesel tractor with "fuel" and started mowing. He got about 100' when the engine started running rough, and he parked it back in the garage.

When I got home I started troubleshooting and made an educated guess at what happened (he's not very mechanically inclined). I drained the tank, refilled with fresh diesel and some 2-cycle oil, and it has been running fine ever since. I wouldn't worry about any long-term damage since you caught it early.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JWillms81
Thanks for the help guys, I got it running today after lunch. Decided what the heck put about 1/3 of a bottle of 2 cycle oil (not a very big bottle only makes 2 gallons or regular mixed gas) and about 4-5 gallons of diesel and gave it a shot. It took a while to get started and even then it took acouple more starts to get it running smooth. Took it for a spin around the parking lot and its seams back to normall. No I can take it to are mechanice to have him fix the frame that another guy broke (long story short we dont have the brightest people working for us some times). Thanks for the help
JW
we had this couple who owned their own landscaping company with about 50 workers. they were replacing machines left right and center because of employees abusing them. they fired majority of them i think they are down to like 5 people now and are making more money than they were before.