Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

FYI Identity Theft...It can happen..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI Identity Theft...It can happen..

Just an FYI for you guys.

First some info:

My brother is in the Border Patrol and I am a PI.

I thought he would get a kick out of a case I'm working on where one of the guys (Mexican) that we are investigating had 21 different people listed under his SSN.

My brother tells me this is common with illegal's. Once they find a "good" SSN they sell it to people to use.

So, we're BS'n and he asks me to run him. Come to find out, someone is using his SSN. Now, this does not show up on his credit report because the guy only used it for work. He couldn't believe it.

Sooo, be careful with what you do with old documents and shred everything.

Good Day,

David
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 PM

I have lifelock on my ssn ever since the VA lost our information. I've had 2 people on 2 seperate occasions try to use my information, one to buy a car, the other to take out a credit card, both were arrested because of lifelock. Well worth the money, I can do everything that lifelock does on my own however I would probably forget to do it,lol. Quick question though, what do you mean you ran his ssn? If it wasn't on his credit report, how did you find out someone was using it? I would like to know just to check mine out as well giving my record.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by marine4life
Quick question though, what do you mean you ran his ssn? If it wasn't on his credit report, how did you find out someone was using it? I would like to know just to check mine out as well giving my record.
I've had a couple people ask me if they can find out on their own. I don't think you can. I'm going to ask my boss about it tomorrow.

I "run" the SSN through our skip-trace database's, it pulls up all kinds of information that doesn't show up on your credit report. I'll get back to you and let you know.

David

P.S. Semper Fi !!!

Last edited by TriSum; 02-05-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: addition of P.S.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LifeLock looks interesting. I just spent the last 45 minutes reading every page on their site and am thinking about trying them. I think the cost is fairly reasonable but would like to hear from DTR members who are using their service. As they say on their site, most of the stuff can be done by yourself for free if you remember and are diligent about it. I know I am not organized enough to remember to do it though.

Too bad I didn't see a "Family Plan" for both me and the wife with a price break. No kids anymore but for $25 a year - can't go wrong with that.

What do you think?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Yeah, I definately recommend one of the credit report watching services. They are so cheap it's just not worth it to NOT have one.

You wouldn't believe the information I can find with a name and birth date or name and address. It scares me sometimes. Some people fly under the radar, (very few), but others are all over the internet. Things from drivers license info, car info, loans, criminal history, ex's, phone numbers, where you spend your money, how much you make, etc.

Remember...........SHRED, SHRED, SHRED !!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Yeah it can happen..
Yes it does happen...
I found out the hard way after I received a bill for about $4500.00
from the Cal. franchise tax board.
This was for property tax owed on two homes that I had sold.
Hmmmmm.
I don't remember buying or selling two homes.
I didn't.
But someone else did using my name and ss#.

Long story short, the state doesn't give a crap weather the homes were mine or not, they want their money.
After getting an attorney, I paid the state almost $9000.00 in late fees, interest and taxes owed.
We will worry about recovering my money after this gets settled in court.
I also went to the Riverside Co. DA's office with copies of the Grant Deeds of these two homes.
It showed my fake sig, and the person who falsely notarized the papers.
Can you say Felony?

This has been going on for over 2 years now.
This person, "Laulie Smith" has over 20+ felony counts against her.
Identity theft, money laundering, forgery...
She is a public notary, real estate broker and certified loan officer...
She was also laundering money thru Riverside Co. Credit Union since her sister worked there.
Oh yeah.
She also has another sister who is a cop.(RSO)

I handed her over to the DA on a silver platter along with lots of other trash I had on her.
There have been search warrants served, evidence taken........
But still the DA drags his feet.
I guess Laulie must be sleeping with him also?

The way the system works or doesn't work is exactly why I feel the way that I do.
Protect and serve?
Yeah right!

So since I let the cat out of the bag over 2 years ago, I've learned to know my surroundings and always watch my back.
It seems that I exposed a few local LEO's who were also in on this little scam.
Since they watch out for their own, they pay me regular visits to search my vehicle for weapons or drugs....
I never know when its going to happen.
Just out of the blue...and there's never any tickets issued.
I'm not that stupid.
It's just a waste of my time and my tax $'s.

So .....I wait for a call or a subpoena to go to court...
But I'm not holding my breath.
And I'm getting tired of waiting for the DA.
Maybe I'll go to the local paper or news station.
Maybe I'll start wearing my bullet proof vest?

Moral of the story...
Don't ever live with and sleep with a con artist.
You never really know a woman till you meet her in court.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 PM

I have lifelock as well. I just recently signed up and received a letter from all 3 credit bureaus saying that they had received a request to place a credit alert on under my account and they had done so. Also that my name had been removed from the list of pre-qualified credit card offers etc. It is $10 a month for an individual and I also enrolled my 2 children for $2.50 each a month. So it costs me $15 a month or you can pay a year at a time and save a few bucks. It is worth it to me. Anytime your SSN is entered whether it is buying a car, leasing a home etc, the creditor is supposed to cal you and ask you 2 security questions that you give them when you sign up so that way they can verify that it is you and only you that they are talking to.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Chapter President

A few weeks ago, some jerk clipped my 83 yo mom's bank account for $150 worth of itunes. Bank took care of it, no problem. Just found out today it was clipped for another $2200 in Florida. This time the bank got more involved and started the paperwork to get the Feds involved. They are also giving here the $$$ back. The card has only been used at Wal Mart here in Texas a few times and she hasn't been out of Texas in years, much less in Florida.

So, yes, it can happen to anyone.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM

I signed up yesterday. When channel hopping, the Montel Williams show had a thing on Lifelock and it caught my eye. Listened in and the owner of Lifelock was talked to as well as someone whose ID had been stolen. I was sold.

Best thing is that they offered a discounted price "for life" of the cost of the service. If you sign up now and put " Montel " in the code, your price drops to $88 a year. I have no financial interest in the company other than hoping I never have to use their services. I figure it's like insurance.

Great input and I feel for those who have been victimized.

Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by RollOver Pete
Moral of the story...
Don't ever live with and sleep with a con artist.
You never really know a woman till you meet her in court.
So, are you implying she was your girlfriend / sex partner ??
Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Its great to hear that Lifelock has saved some headache for a few members. I have been thinking about signing up for this service. Is there anyway that this service could actually harm you, just curiuos?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TriSum
So, are you implying she was your girlfriend / sex partner ??
Um....
yeah...
Old 02-09-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by RollOver Pete
Um....
yeah...

OUCH !!! That's gotta hurt.