Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

? for Furnace/HVAC People - Found a bird in the fresh air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? for Furnace/HVAC People - Found a bird in the fresh air intake

We have a Lennox Pulse 21, the exhaust and fresh air pvc pipes exit and enter the side of the house along the basement rafters.

The furnace intake fan would kick on for about 5 sec, then shut down, wait about 10 sec, then kick on again, the the burners would kick on for heat (natural gas), then the blower kicks on too and all is good.

Being curious, I opened up the panel, found this bird inside.
The furnace has stopped cycling (i think) like this for now.

Would this poor guy be the root of my problem?

Or do I need to check the ignitor sensor, which now I can't get to. I pulled the left small panel and took a picture, but good luck getting a hand in there, I guess the whole fresh air intake peice needs to come out first?

Cover Removed:

Pulled the center insulation off, do I need to clean this ?

I pulled the left panel, hard to see anything:

Stuck the camera in the hole, found the igniter.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:31 AM

There is a pressure switch that verifies operation of the draft inducer. Since you found that bird in there,I would guess there are feathers and who knows what else fouling up the draft inducer fan. So, yes clean any screens you see and pull the cover off the squirrel cage to make sure it is clean. Then go outside and put your hand over the exhaust to see if it is flowing well. Install a bird screen to keep this from happening again. Heaters are serious business, if you have ANY doubts about it's operation call a pro. It literally can be a matter of life and death. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks will do, appreciate the info. The exhaust flow is good, this morning it was 0 out and steam was shooting about 1 ft straight out, I looked down both pipes with a flashlight, didn't see anything, then again you can only see 1/2 way down.

I'm not sure why the local installer didn't put a screen on it, seems to only make sense. I'll see if i can find some screen material today.

Pic of outside vents, the right is the intake, the left is the exhaust.
Just curious, can a person plug up these holes when the heat is off?

Is there a reason why the exhaust pipe is straight and intake is down?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM

I think if its not getting a good intake "sucktion" it will trip, what I think is a limit switch and won't restart-that correct HVAC guys???

Mine intake/exhaust are on the roof and have some turn downs so nothing can get in or fall in.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Bird in intake of furnace

The screen is a good idea most of the time. However, I have seen multiple times when the humidity is high and it is cold outside, the screen will frost over causing the pressure differential switch to shut off the furnace. I. E., the intake or exhaust is blocked just as bad as if a mouse, rat or bird had plugged it up. Just something to be aware of. Personally, I like the screen, and if I have to clean frost off it, then that is better than having to inspect, & snake the vent out.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:08 AM

Question from picture above:
Pulled the center insulation off, do I need to clean this ?

You should change the rubber diaphram that is visable through the holes in the silver plate. Yours looks like it needs to be changed.

Measure the silver plate with holes, PM me your address, I'll mail you one. There are two different sizes so I will need that measurement.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:09 AM

I used to find birds in my pellet stove exhaust on a monthly basis. I finally wrapped some chicken wire arround the exhaust, and no more problems.