Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Frustrated with our Hemi/ looking for another vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Just talk I had heard re the Fords. I still think they are nice trucks and would really like a Cummins in a newer F-350.

The gas quality thing may be real. My friend had a ton of trouble with his 06 F-150 regarding mileage and engine light issues. His mechanic told him to pay a little extra for 76 or Chevron gas and quit putting costco gas in it. The $300-400 dollars he will spend on it a year is a lot less than a few trips to the mechanic. He says it has solved his problems with his truck, not sure about the mileage though!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I'd like to know how they get the 20+ MPG ratings in a v8. Tweaks to the aero package that fools the formulas is how, not real-world testing. In the new v6 with the 8 speed and 2wd I can believe it.

I find it pretty sad my $700 23-yr-old Amigo can get the same gas mileage as a new similar vehicle.
Nope, I can attest to at least 2 different versions, 2010 F150 2WD with the 6 speed auto and 4.6 a friend regularly got 22 MPG plus, now he has a 2013 Silverado with the 5.3 and 6 speed auto, 4WD and gets 20-21 MPG. A guy at our work just got the F150 ext. cab with Ecoboost, 4WD, and runs 19-20.

They are out there, you just gotta look.

Hat, I would drive the 2013 version of yours and see just how you like it, I know the 8 speed helped out quite a bit.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
I know a couple of people who have had newer Ram 1500s and are very very happy with the mileage. The cylinder deactivation the Hemis have now has greatly improved it. Not sure if that's the route you want to take, but thought I'd mention it.
I've heard both on those... great and hate. We do a lot of in town driving in it, stop and go, don't think the MDS (or whatever they call it) do very well with that.

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I've heard the newer F-150 econoboosts are getting good mpg, near 20 hiway and good power when you want/need it.

Probably still 30K or better but an idea. I liked the crewcab F-150 they let me have while my Ram was getting a new trans a few years back.
Ford suggestion = banned user. haha... I'm just kidding... I like some of their designs and such, but I have never had luck working on them, and I don't like the way they're built when you start wrenching on them. Some people swear by them, and I'm ok with that, but not this guy.

Originally Posted by jforce
Well If Honda tried to build a real truck That could pull what ours pull and last as long and work as hard....Wait I hate Hondas!!! I think I have seen more junk from them than anybody.
Yep.
If you google Ford ecoboost shutdown you will change your mind. Lots of problems with that one. (it's a ford) Seems to me that the engineers or production or testing over there is dysfunctional. How else could they always have so many built in defects? The 6.0 comes to mind.
The 6.4s have been pretty good as far as I know. Other than that...
Originally Posted by Danderson
I said vehicle. They kill anything from Dodge as far as fit and finish and reliability. The OP seemed to seek a family hauler not a tow vehicle.
Yeah, I don't really want to buy a cheaper import... If I buy an import, I want to have an Audi or BMW

We can agree to disagree... This is a Dodge forum so... Hondas have a history of headgasket issues,rust,transmission problems,thin sheetmetal, I could go on and on. The average consumer is kept blind to this (marketing) but people in the auto repair biz see these everyday. Again this is a Dodge forum... Ever hit a curb with a honda? what happens? Car is TOTALLED. I've hit curbs with american cars and BROKEN the curb! And the car? Not even the alignment was off. No real metal in those foreign cars. Never has been.
From the little bit of work I have done on them, they're cheap...

Back to the original post,have you tried different brands of gas? I got better mileage from Chevron than others in my gas jobs. Sometimes made a huge difference. Its true you get what you pay for. I would stick with the 87 octane if you are looking for mileage. Sunoco has always had top quality fuel too. Just my .02 cents
I have. The manual says to run low grade, I ran mid in it for a while, then low, mid with additives... Nothing really changes. I may try that again, but I wasn't seeing much difference.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Mark, there's always the Prius!
I said I worked with the Navy, not I was in the Navy... lol

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I find it pretty sad my $700 23-yr-old Amigo can get the same gas mileage as a new similar vehicle.
Originally Posted by cougar
Buy an old Ramcharger and put a 2nd gen 12 valve in it.
I wold like to buy the love of my life something nice, tho
Originally Posted by Spooler
Yeap, my 04' 1500 Hemi only got 15 not matter what. SUV's are not going to get good fuel mileage for the most part. Look into a car for her if you want fuel mileage.
Our 03 hemi (regular quad cab) got good mileage until the dealer fixed some emissions crap... then it went down the toilet in a hurry.
Originally Posted by patdaly
Nope, I can attest to at least 2 different versions, 2010 F150 2WD with the 6 speed auto and 4.6 a friend regularly got 22 MPG plus, now he has a 2013 Silverado with the 5.3 and 6 speed auto, 4WD and gets 20-21 MPG. A guy at our work just got the F150 ext. cab with Ecoboost, 4WD, and runs 19-20.

They are out there, you just gotta look.

Hat, I would drive the 2013 version of yours and see just how you like it, I know the 8 speed helped out quite a bit.
I may do that. I'm really waiting to see what the '14 V6 diesel does... I usually am not one to buy the first model year of something, but I may make an exception on this. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry that I took so long to reply, seems like every time I sat down to say something I had to get back up.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
We can agree to disagree... This is a Dodge forum so... Hondas have a history of headgasket issues,rust,transmission problems,thin sheetmetal, I could go on and on. The average consumer is kept blind to this (marketing) but people in the auto repair biz see these everyday. Again this is a Dodge forum... Ever hit a curb with a honda? what happens? Car is TOTALLED. I've hit curbs with american cars and BROKEN the curb! And the car? Not even the alignment was off. No real metal in those foreign cars. Never has been.
Like a first gen Dodge CTD. Motor runs forever (if you change the timing belt and plugs every 120K or so) and transmission too if not abused. Doors fall off around 350K from the salt and rust. Right now I have two faults to fix on mine. Exhaust leak (rust) and fuel leak (rust)

And like the CTD, if I really get on it the 2.2L Honda hemi is hard on tires.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Mark....I could be wrong on this but I believe the diesel thats coming in the 1500 is out in the jeep now. Might be worth checking...at least for a feel for what it can do.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
I said I worked with the Navy, not I was in the Navy... lol

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt

Cheers,
PISTOL
AHahahahahahahaha!!!
hahahaha!!

Just sayin, man! Good to see you, tho!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you could do Mark...Get a 12V or a 1980's Mercedes diesel and start making bio-diesel...Then be cheap to run...
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our 03 hemi (regular quad cab) got good mileage until the dealer fixed some emissions crap... then it went down the toilet in a hurry.
Have you had it to any other dealers since? On my 96 Breeze they effed up the EGR when they did the head gasket. Since it could not recirculate exhaust, it was trying to make up for that elsewhere, mostly by dropping into OD at the minimum speed possible and not coming out. Ended up burning up the transmission.
When they put the new EGR valve in and it still ran like crap I took it to another dealer, where they erased the codes and fixed it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Yeah, that's what frustrates me... I don't think anything was really wrong... we got a CEL, they fixed it under warranty, then the fuel mileage tanked immediately.

Poop.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Yeah, that's what frustrates me... I don't think anything was really wrong... we got a CEL, they fixed it under warranty, then the fuel mileage tanked immediately.

Poop.
So find a dealer that knows what they're doing, preferably before you do permanent damage.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be a little patient and get one of the new V6 ram 1500 diesels.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by jstone44720
Be a little patient and get one of the new V6 ram 1500 diesels.
That's what I want.

I'm excited about the air suspension on all four corners, a crew cab and the rambox...