Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Froze to Death.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Begle1
Oh, well, d'oh...

Don't do drugs while alone in the wilderness with freezing temperatures and while operating vehicles while being hours away from town.

Seems they couldn't have done any stupider if they tried.
Your quote explains alot Begle. It should say just "Don't do drugs."
Old 03-05-2005, 03:04 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every person should, as a requirement, have some form of SERE training. Not that everyone needs Level-C or anything, but at least a few weeks of light to medium level SERE.

Of course I think that all 18 year olds right out of high school should dedicate 2 years of service and in return Uncle Sam helps them pay for some colloge. Not all of todays youth is a mess but a good portion of them could use some help.

Don~
Old 03-05-2005, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Don M

Of course I think that all 18 year olds right out of high school should dedicate 2 years of service and in return Uncle Sam helps them pay for some colloge. Not all of todays youth is a mess but a good portion of them could use some help.

Don~
DITTO !! If I was 18 I would not like that. But now looking back, I wish it would have been mandatory when I was 18 and especially now. No if, ands or buts about it, every capable person male and female goes in. The country would be better for it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Don M
Every person should, as a requirement, have some form of SERE training. Not that everyone needs Level-C or anything, but at least a few weeks of light to medium level SERE.

Don~
Having been both student and instructor in USAF Survival courses, I'd say the the full SERE is pretty much overkill. Average Joe doesn't need to know how to contact possible friendly locals or be able to resist interrogation

The survival portion is good, but again, it's more than is needed to save a life.

In the regrettable case of these two kids, it's just 1) being young and foolish 2) not planning 3) not respecting what nature can throw at you.

Murphy's Law is actually a risk-weighing principle, not a statement of pessimism. "Anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong" actually is an exhortation to realize that anything is possible, and that because it's possible-- it could possibly happen to YOU!!

You have to be aware that there are always risks and hazards associated with even mundane daily activities.

As I age, I've become a lot more safety conscious. I've realized that if I get a speeding ticket, it more than offsets the tiny fractions of time I saved by speeding. I realize that if I kill myself from speeding or driving unsafely, then I'm WAY later than if I just would have slowed down. I'm less likely to push limits with me or my machines.

Once your eyes are opened to the potential of very real costs, your calculations in the Cost/Benefit analysis will change substantially!

That's just the opinion of a 29-yr old USAF officer who's still a little wet behind the ears to some of you

jlh
Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 PM
DTR Advertiser

Hey Justin,

Certainly everyone would benefit from some SERE. Maybe not the hardest of hard class, but I cant think of a better way to "help" some of the younger generation into remembering that freedom is not something to take lightly. The way some kids expect things this day and age is insane. A few days of nice music to listen to and a coffe can in the concrete cage might give them some insight as to what it "could be" like. Not only Americas youth, but the entire French population.

Speaking of remembering learning how to contact a possible friendly is not really needed, but how many people forget the code word they are given in the begining? Geesh, I think it is usually all of them, isnt it? Is this a good way to teach the youngans to remember things?? Important things?

I agree that spending hours squatting with your palms up is not needed. Getting bagged and scared half to death is probabaly overkill too.

You guys best be nice to Justin...USAF SERE instructors can be tough fellers.

Don~
Old 03-07-2005, 10:02 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the Boy Scouts? They do participate in winter survival as well. Ver heard of a Klondike Derby? Polar Bear award? Lifesaver B.S.A.?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don--

If you mean SERE to be a "character development" exercise, then it is unequalled.

I still freak out if I hear "boots" ("They've come to take my life,ha-ha). You haven't lived until the sight of an American flag has made you bawl your eyes out like a little girl.

I would also second the idea that having your freedoms removed from you is a heck of a way to gain an appreciation of them. I can only chuckle to consider the "miraculous" transformations I have seen in some that came though. You know the type-- they'd curse their parents for getting them the CHEAP new car, not the one the wanted; or they'd complain about having their cell phones minutes reduced.

Three weeks later, these kids are crying at the sight of hot food. It's what I call "recalibrating the gratitude meter".

It's another topic, but I'll mention in passing the horrible damage done to the quality of the Air Force Academy four-year-program by the "60 Minutes" piece that resulted in the removal of the "resistance" portion of the program and replaced it with a watered-down substitute. The USAFA has been slowly reinstituting the program, as the outcry of the Alumni was very great, and the USAF has realized a training cost increase under the weakened program.

For those that don't know-- SERE is "Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape"-- Four things that you REALLY want to know how to do if you fall into enemy hands or enemy territory. It's one of the more infamous training programs in the military.

Second, perhaps to the School of the Americas

Justin
Old 03-07-2005, 01:13 PM
DTR Advertiser

"Boots" That little tune can drive people bonkers The guy singing that tune is a freak.

I dont know anything about the latest SERE or the watering down. 60 minutes is a retard program most of the time. Maybe they need some SERE training themselves. Some people just dont get it

Don~