Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

FRONT TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRONT TIRES

This is my first diesel 2003 Dodge 2500 crew cab. Anyway I way filling up the other day and another Dodge pulled up and we were talking and the fellas front tires were worn unevenly but still lots of tread. He said it was because of the weight of the engine. Is that true? And if so how can I prevent the same from happening to me ? Thanks Dave
Old 08-09-2003, 10:13 AM

Re:FRONT TIRES

that's not the case...it is possible he has light duty tires on it ( instead of a "D" or "E" rated ) and the weight may play a factor...u should have "E" rated tires on yours right out of the factory, that's what should be on there...bad alignment or a worn front suspension part is usually the culprit of what your referring too though...good luck w/ your truck ;D
Old 08-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Barracuda is right,
I put "D" tires on my dually last time. :

The inner & outer edges of both front tires are worn slick (looks like under-inflation, but the tires are actually over the rated Max inflation by about 5 pounds)
The problem is the sidewalls are too weak to hold up that much weight going around a turn. (at posted speeds of course )

It will get "E" tires on it again this fall. ;D
Ed
Old 08-10-2003, 12:13 AM

thanks so much for the info...I wasnt looking forward to new tires every 6 months...Dave
Old 08-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my own theory on the tire wear. I believe if you maintain full pressure, the tire will not sit flat on the road because the side walls won't flex enough. The leading and trailing edges of the tires will wear first especially if the caster / camber is already out on the front axle.
I have expiremented with tire pressures from 80 all the way down to 45 all the way around. I found out that 65 to 70 in the front works very well and that 60 to 65 in the rear works well even loaded.
Now you may think that this is pure BS but I got 75000 miles out of my first set of stock Michelin tires and I still have them in the shed to show you if you don't believe me. They were not totally down the the wear bars at that even. I pull some pretty serious weight and travel on some less than perfect back roads also.
I rotate the tires every 9000 miles like in the pattern the book calls for on a dually. I watched the tires after I bought the truck new and when I started to notice the outside and inside of the front tires wear ever so slightly, I started rotation at that mileage. It just happened to be right at 9000 miles. I have 45000 on the second set and they have a long way to go yet.
Just my theory here and it works for me. Hope this helps.
DD4X4