Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

front tire issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front tire issue...

The inside Inch or so of the front passenger side tire is bald. The rest of the tier is still about 90% good. What would cause this? Tire pressure is good and the truck was aligned not too long ago? Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal Twister
The inside Inch or so of the front passenger side tire is bald. The rest of the tier is still about 90% good. What would cause this? Tire pressure is good and the truck was aligned not too long ago? Any ideas?
Toe & Camber being out can cause this.

Your signature doesn't contain your vehicle information, so that would be helpful.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Toe & Camber being out can cause this.

Your signature doesn't contain your vehicle information, so that would be helpful.

Just curious... How would me listing my type of truck help in answering this question?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious... How would me listing my type of truck help in answering this question?
There are various known things that wear on some models. So knowing the year and model would someone to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I prematurely killed the edges of front tires on my 2WD dually by taking exit ramps like I was driving a 6 wheeled Porsche.
(Tread rolling over)
MAN those things will corner................

Running SUV rated tires on the front end will make it wear tires looking like under inflation.
We need that heavy sidewall to support the mighty Cummins.

4WDs will wear tires quicker as there are many more moving parts that wear out.
Is this on a Dodge/Cummins or a Geo Metro?
A 2013 or a 1913?

These are some of the reasons that folks ask what kind of vehicle you have.

It's like telling your doctor "It hurts" and then get your feathers ruffled when he asks "Where or When?"
Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by bigfoot
There are various known things that wear on some models. So knowing the year and model would someone to point you in the right direction.

Fair enough... Its a 93 3500 dually 2 wheel drive with one billion miles on it. Actually only 325,000 miles and not on the original tires. Tires are all e rated. These tires have seen nothing but old man highway miles with exception of drifting the on ramps. LOL
Old 08-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I prematurely killed the edges of front tires on my 2WD dually by taking exit ramps like I was driving a 6 wheeled Porsche.
(Tread rolling over)
MAN those things will corner................

Running SUV rated tires on the front end will make it wear tires looking like under inflation.
We need that heavy sidewall to support the mighty Cummins.

4WDs will wear tires quicker as there are many more moving parts that wear out.
Is this on a Dodge/Cummins or a Geo Metro?
A 2013 or a 1913?

These are some of the reasons that folks ask what kind of vehicle you have.

It's like telling your doctor "It hurts" and then get your feathers ruffled when he asks "Where or When?"

....I thought I was the only one taking,,, off ramps like a bat out of hell....

I was complaining to a friend the darn tires where "chipping" away...Until I took him for a ride...on some off ramps..

He said the same thing...it's a truck...not a sports car.....That's why the tires are wearing on one side...

The duallys do corner good...even in a 4x4...Corners even better now..Since I lowered all 4 corners.....
Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Fair enough... Its a 93 3500 dually 2 wheel drive with one billion miles on it. Actually only 325,000 miles and not on the original tires. Tires are all e rated. These tires have seen nothing but old man highway miles with exception of drifting the on ramps. LOL
I stand by my previous answer, and I'll add... Control arm bushings, worn out springs, Ball joints and a loose nut behind the wheel.

All of these issues can cause the inner tire to "SCRAPE" as you're taking turns, vs rising up and down in it's own axis. Scraping of the tire would explain why it's worn out on the inside, and no where else.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I stand by my previous answer, and I'll add... Control arm bushings, worn out springs, Ball joints and a loose nut behind the wheel.

All of these issues can cause the inner tire to "SCRAPE" as you're taking turns, vs rising up and down in it's own axis. Scraping of the tire would explain why it's worn out on the inside, and no where else.
Makes perfect since to me! Thanks so much for the reply's I will know where to start looking now. Thanks again, Oh and I will start with the loose nut behind the wheel.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shocks will do it to.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by rich
shocks will do it to.
Whenever I've had a shock go bad, a wear pattern called "scalloping" develops on the tire. It's where you will see a repeating pattern of high and low wear on a tire lug, inside, outside or center of the tire tread. I guess it's also called a "Saw Tooth" wear. At least that's been my experiences.

This visual guide basically says that the issue is most likely Camber, but again, it's usually a combination of worn parts and alignment issues that are the ultimate cause.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Symptoms/Tire-Wear/
Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
From experience, when the front end is in good condition and properly aligned, and it's driven by an old phart, the tires wear very nicely.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
From experience, when the front end is in good condition and properly aligned, and it's driven by an old phart, the tires wear very nicely.
Yea, but lordy, I don't want to die from boredom.........................

Tires is cheap compared to looking like an old phfart.................
Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Looking like an old phart is acceptable....acting like one is not
Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I have been known to get impatient enough to completely smoke out an intersection. Not very often, though.

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.