Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ford workers must drive Fords!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The news this morning showed the reporter interviewing a Plant worker.
He stated "I'd like to have a Ford truck, but I can't afford one."
They followed him through the lot and filmed him climbing into his CADILLAC.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hired into GM Fisher body in 1966. At that time employees were required to attend one union meeting per month.
This was in the time era that the Japeneese autos were beginning to infiltrate the U.S
There was a sign in the union hall parking lot that stated ALL foreign parked in this lot will be towed at owners expense. And they were !!
Oh for the good old days
Old 01-28-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
The news this morning showed the reporter interviewing a Plant worker.
He stated "I'd like to have a Ford truck, but I can't afford one."
They followed him through the lot and filmed him climbing into his CADILLAC.
Now that is funny!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say it's only fair. Why should they work in and American factory making American vehicles collecting American wages and benefits and spend the car money on foreign automobiles? I have two Dodge trucks, a Plymouth Neon, and a Jeep. I have a John Deere mover (very expensive one) and and old John Deere tractor. The only reason there is a foreign car in my driveway is because my wife inherited it when her mother passed away.
Yeah, you can say that half or so of the parts on my Chrysler products are assembled or made outside the country but at least they are American vehicles. I don't like that either but what can I do?
This trade system we have is upside down in a gross way. We imported $120 billion dollars from China, just to mention one point, and China only accepted $3 billion from us according to the last PBS documentary I watched. The factory workers make $3.00 per hour if they are lucky and if you think your job is bad, go there and work for awhile.
This crap started years ago in late 60's early 70's, and probably before this, when Zenith folded up in southern California and moved across the border to get cheaper labor. This fabulous place you like to shop called WalMart is as bad. They have caused companies to fold or go outside the country for cheaper labor. You can't continue to demand $20, $30, $40 an hour and shop at WalMart and buy $10000.00 foreign cars. Something has to give here and I hope we can figure that out but probably not.

Sorry.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cmullen
Its called loyalty to the co that puts food im my kids mouth. It is perfectly understandable to me that people would want to drive the cars/trucks that their company makes
OK, but loyalty can only go so far. I work at one of the theme parks in Central Florida, but I prefer to go to the other ones, that I don't work at. Why? Because the one I work at, does not have a lot of the rides I realy like. Yeah, I could go to the one I work at for free, and just ride the rides, or spend the money at the others and realy enjoy the rides.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I think it's OK that they don't want other brand vehicles on their front parking lot- simply public relations thinking.
On the other hand it's quite possible that a lot of the workers driving other brand vehicles have bought them before starting to work there and why should they lose a lot of money just to change to another vehicle that might not "fit" when they go to another job again?

AlpineRAM
Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
I think it's OK that they don't want other brand vehicles on their front parking lot- simply public relations thinking.
On the other hand it's quite possible that a lot of the workers driving other brand vehicles have bought them before starting to work there and why should they lose a lot of money just to change to another vehicle that might not "fit" when they go to another job again?

AlpineRAM
Because with the discounts they receive they can purchase a new vehicle every year and sell the other for what they paid for it.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rammtuff
Because with the discounts they receive they can purchase a new vehicle every year and sell the other for what they paid for it.
That's some wishful thinking...

As Alpine said, it's probably bad for public image when there are Chevy's parked in front of the Ford plant...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Let's see,....first there was the Pinto imitating a rolling Malatov Cocktail, then the Explorer, and now the Crown Vic.
When is Ford going to come out with the special "Zippo Lighter" edition vehicles?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
I'd say it's only fair. Why should they work in and American factory making American vehicles collecting American wages and benefits and spend the car money on foreign automobiles? I have two Dodge trucks, a Plymouth Neon, and a Jeep. I have a John Deere mover (very expensive one) and and old John Deere tractor. The only reason there is a foreign car in my driveway is because my wife inherited it when her mother passed away.
Yeah, you can say that half or so of the parts on my Chrysler products are assembled or made outside the country but at least they are American vehicles. I don't like that either but what can I do?
This trade system we have is upside down in a gross way. We imported $120 billion dollars from China, just to mention one point, and China only accepted $3 billion from us according to the last PBS documentary I watched. The factory workers make $3.00 per hour if they are lucky and if you think your job is bad, go there and work for awhile.
This crap started years ago in late 60's early 70's, and probably before this, when Zenith folded up in southern California and moved across the border to get cheaper labor. This fabulous place you like to shop called WalMart is as bad. They have caused companies to fold or go outside the country for cheaper labor. You can't continue to demand $20, $30, $40 an hour and shop at WalMart and buy $10000.00 foreign cars. Something has to give here and I hope we can figure that out but probably not.

Sorry.
VERY WELL SAID !!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:57 PM

This same issue was posted many moons ago about D.C.plants.THEY just don't care to have other makes up near the front of the plant etc.I fully understand.Its business.I use to get Datsun/Nissans in for repairs that had been trashed at G.M.Doraville plant back in the 80s.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:26 AM

what if your a guy working at a breast implant mfg?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM

He then probably worked for a auto manufacture first and would not follow the parking rules.