Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ford SOS tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 07:06 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford SOS tranny

Not excatly a desiel topic, but with as many mechanicaly inclined folks as are here,
Do any of y'all know anything about the Ford SOS tranny that was used on the late 50's tractors?
Need some help with mine ( slipping) and am not having any luck on the tractor sites....
Old 03-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 64 2000 with a Select-o-Speed - the later versions have the "upgraded" version of the tranny. You really need the Ford Maintenance manual (not the I-T manual) and some of the wisdom of the guys at Yesterday's Tractors Ford Forum. Zane's tip on adjusting bands is as follows:

The bands are easy to adjust but the hydraulics of the trans. must be working in order to do it. If you will put the transmission in the gear a particular band is supposed to be engaged you will be able to release the lock nut without the adjusting screw moving. If on the other hand the adjusting screw moves
with no resistance when you have it in the gear that is supposed to have that band applied you can assume you have hydraulic problems with what ever is supposed to be applying the band. After you have turned the lock nuts back on each band then you can turn the adjusting screw in till you feel the engine begin to load because you will be doing the same as trying to put the transmission in more than one gear by removing the clearance in the band that is supposed to be disengaged at the time. Then you need to turn the adjusting screw out 3/4 turn. Put it back in the gear that puts tension on the adjusting screw and tighten the locking nut. The reason you do it this way is because it is almost impossible to hold the screw while tightening the lock nut when the band is disengaged. Do this procedure on all three bands except that the front #1 band should be backed off only 1/2 turn because it is the smallest diameter of the 3 bands.

You should also check the line pressures with a trans gauge to see what happens when each clutch pack/band engages.

Search on YTMag's Ford Forum for SOS for a bunch of good tips: http://www.ytmag.com/ford/wwwboard1.html

Look for postings by LarryNCKS, RickWI, Bern, and Tony Jacobs - they know their stuff.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:56 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, all that makes about zero sense to me, ...
I will check out the link , and Thanks for the help