Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ford building it's own diesel to replace Navistar

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ford building it's own diesel to replace Navistar

The all new, Ford designed 'Scorpion' 6.7-liter V8 diesel engine that will replace the current Navistar supplied 6.4-liter V8 Power Stroke by 2011.

It will also receive a new 6-speed automatic transmission.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hoot
The all new, Ford designed 'Scorpion' 6.7-liter V8 diesel engine that will replace the current Navistar supplied 6.4-liter V8 Power Stroke by 2011.

It will also receive a new 6-speed automatic transmission.
You'd think they'd learn to build an in-line instead of the light duty 'V' configuration. Personally, I can't stand 'V' anything diesel, they just scream 'make believe diesel' as far as I'm concerned.

chaikwa.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any proof to support this statement?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by randallp84
Google is your friend.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 04-28-2008, 04:21 PM

I asked a guy at the Ford dealership about why Ford stuck with the v8, rather than a inline. He said that he figures it boils down to American stupidity, that consumers believe a huge v8 means big power. Only imports, and European consumers realize this isn't the case.

I can see his point, I know a guy who used to tout his 4.3 GM v6 against my 3.0 v6 in my Ranger, saying though the horse power was barely more than mine, it could run circles around me because it was bigger. I never tried, because I knew my Ranger's slushbox tranny was crap. American's believe size does matter I guess!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Boy are they in for some fun. Takes quite a bit of $$$ to build an engine from the ground up. The latest on high way engine from detroit cost them $1.5 Billion. Anyone know what its based off of? More tech info?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Anything named "Scorpion" is just plain trying too hard...it's sure to be a turd.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilatus
Anything named "Scorpion" is just plain trying too hard...it's sure to be a turd.

Oh, that's funny right there!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 PM

A lot of "concept" engines get nicknames, pretty sure chryslers working on a new hemi called the phoenix, but yes, it will be a turd if it even runs. That's a given though. CAT needs to be slapped in the face for not jumping on the opportunity.

Edit:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html

Not for sure its good to call an engine after a bird that consumes whatever it can and then bursts into flames. Especially if they are going for fuel efficiency.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Detroit took after the Mercedes engines in europe. The new dd15 detroit has compound turbocharging and the air compressor is rear gearcase driven.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pilatus
Well, just like Mortal Kombat, I'm sure someone will be throwing a rope/chain at them to hoist 'em up on the back of a flatbed.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Bullet

Look at the front of that truck, it looks like it is crying
Old 04-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by randallp84
Do a thread search ..... this has been hashed out before. OR, go down to the local truck stop and talk to some drivers about it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
V-8s are used for packaging.

7.3 PSDs have gone over a million miles, so the inherent superiority of an I6 is really irrelevant for a light truck application.

I prefer the I6, but a V-8 in a light truck is just fine. I just like the torque delivery of the long stroke inlines.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with HOHN. The V-8 is a perfectly good design. Some prefer the 6 and some the 8, big deal. Some prefer blondes and some brunettes. The V8 design is one of the best balanced and most compact designs there has been. It's been a fantastic success for a very long time and is part of the American way.

For me it's the I-6 all the way. Nothing has ever performed like that. It's that locomotive growl and buckets of low end in the mountains that gets me.

There is no way Ford is going to try to market an inline when their whole deal is the V8 design. The public believes any V8 is bigger and better than a 6 and it would be a serious acknowledgement that Cummins had it right. Besides, their body style "fits" the V8, if you want to call it that.

Let the Ford enthusiasts have their V8s. Fine. Anyone that would spend that kind of money on another new design from Ford, after the repeated failures, is just not going to be able to see what a Cummins is. I'll sit back with my feet up and watch the carnage from a distance. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

On another and slightly related note, I just had a tire store guy tell me the other day that "Ford is going to start putting Cummins in their trucks. You know they own part Cummins and Dodge's contract has expired". It's the same guy whose Dad get 28 MPG with his and thought my '04 was a 6.7.

I think we should send this one to Mythbusters for the final and very public word on the matter. Confirmed? Plausible? or BUSTED!

John

Quick Reply: Ford building it's own diesel to replace Navistar