Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Flea's are infesting my House - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flea's are infesting my House - Help!

I've got a flea problem. I thought we'd keep them out this year but no success . I have a dog and a cat who both are in and out and both are using "advantage" but the flea's don't care.

What is the best insecticide to use to kill the little buggers that are inside? I am looking for both a "bomb" and a spray for the carpets and furniture which will knock them down and keep them down.

If there is a treatment I can use outside (the dog has a limited area - the cat does not) that works, I'd do that too.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
BWAHAHA!!!

I've been on-line all this morning researching the same!

What I've learned is to start in the yard with outdoor insecticides, I'm picking up some Spectracide (Inside/Outside) from Lowe's tonight. I use Advantix on the dog and carpet powder for inside the home, but I can't get an upper hand this year.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I went to Home Depot, asked them what the best stuff was, and put down three times what it called for. Haven't had the first flea in three years now. This was some kind of pellet type stuff I put down with a broadcast spreader just before a rain.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vets have a medicine that kills the fleas when they get the dog or cats blood.

You could always rent the house to your mother in law
Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Yep, what herb said. Time to see the v-e-t...I hope you don't read out loud with the dog in the room, sorry. I had a flea problem, well the dog did anyway, and the Rx was the only thing that got rid of them, bombs did nothing but make them "excited", and the sprays didn't reach them either.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 PM

I REALLY like the mother in law idea but then I'd have to move. I missed the lottery by 5 numbers though so that ain't going to happen this week.

I need some near instant relief inside because the wife says she has fleas now and isn't happy. I hate watching her itch too. They don't seem to bother me which is probably why they were able to get a stronghold inside. The bomb will be going off this weekend but I know there is a spray like a Raid Flea Killer that may at least get the ones that are active now and get me to the weekend. I guess from what I've read - it could take a week or two to get them all.

Product recommendation would be a great place for me to start.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:44 PM

sometimes to catch fleas my wife takes a cake pan and puts about a half inch or so of soapy water and a little tea candle in the center and puts it in the center of the room at night (when its dark)and when they go to the flame for warmth they fall in the water and die it cut the population down a bit
Old 06-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Try this stuff.... its called: ZEMA IGR PREMISE SPRAY it comes in a 16 oz. spray can. It worked great for me
Old 06-28-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots and lots of vacuuming will help too. We've never had them really bad here, but when we have had flea outbreaks, persistant vacuuming and doing lots of loads of laundry has eventually defeated them. Can't stand all that poison stuff and it doesn't always work anyway. And even when it does, you end up creating poison resistant fleas out of the survivors.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
DTR Detective

I ran and picked up the pellet form, trying it tonight.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Go and buy a few pounds of diatomacous earth (swimming pool filter media) and spread that around the house, especially on the carpets. Leave it for a couple of days or three days and vacuum up. It is harmless to humans and animals but will kill fleas. It is cheap and non toxic. You can also rub it into the fur of the animals
Apparently it works by making small cuts in the 'skin' of the fleas and they dehydrate to death.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:53 PM
DTR Detective

I read a lot about that today Mex, it does work well, huh?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:56 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Worked great for me and then my friends. I found that rubbing it into the fur of the animals helped to speed up the elimination process.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:29 PM
DTR Detective

I asked my mom to pick some up for me, I'll swing by her place to pick up my kids and my flea flour of death!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Diazinon is supposed to work great. I have lived in two houses with the yards infested with fleas. I would walk inside and my socks would be covered in them! I had the glue traps with the light on them in every low lying outlet in the house and had to change them everyday because they would just fill up with fleas. Man that sucks!!!!!

Good luck. I was never able to get rid of them until I moved away.......

Quick Reply: Flea's are infesting my House - Help!