Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Flash the Wonder Bassett is gone ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flash the Wonder Bassett is gone ...

It looks like my little buddy went on his final survey about his land. He went for a walk and never came back. He's been gone for three days and I am about as sad as a guy could possibly get.

Ol' Flash was 11 years old and a fierce protector of his property and his family. He never had any family of his own but he was definately one of us.

I remember the day we brought him home ... he would try to run and play but kept tripping over his ears. He hated the snow from the git go ... and I tell ya, I never laughed so hard as I did watching him teeter on top of a fallen branch so he wouldn't have to touch the snow. A true comedian ... without trying.

We had our share of down times too ... I almost had to put him down a few years ago when some kid ignored my wifes stern warning about going into the back yard. Flash got him pretty good but was doing what he was supposed to do. The nice lady at the pound saw how tore up I was and told me to "take him home" because she could tell he was truly a good dog and was just doing his duty !! I was so happy, I almost kissed her !!

Every time I came home from a deployment or more recently for a visit ... he was the most excited one of the family to see me. He would howl and sing and jump around ... it just kills me to know that he won't be there when I go home in a couple weeks.

Please toss back a cold one this evening in his honor for me ... he was truly the best 4 legged friend a guy could ever have.

FLASH the Wonder Bassett
Jun 1995 - July 2006
Happy hunting, little buddy !!!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear that PistolWhipt,
May Flash rest peacfully.

Rich.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your pet. I do feel your pain. They provide us with unending love and affection and seldom or at all ask for it in return. I did travel that same road not too long ago and it hurts. Hold onto you memorable times with him. I'm sure he would want you to remember the good times with him.

If I can ask, what happened? He just lost his way(this is the assumption) or?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. Can't believe how tore up I am over a dog ... but he and I were really and close.

We aren't sure what happened to him. The family lives on 15 acres out in the country and he was free to roam about as he pleased. He always had his nose to the ground and sniffing out some game but never strayed too far from the dinner bowl before and I really don't think he went outside of his boundaries this time. Possibly a snake or something like that is possible.

I would just like to think that he knew his time was near and he went some place peaceful and quiet to lay down and go to sleep. I just wish he'd have waited for me. Better this way I 'spose. Well ... there we go bawlin' again hahahaha

PISTOL
Old 07-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to hear about it, Pistol. The dog we had when I was a kid went the same way. We let him out one night and he never came back. We never did find him. Pepper was 17 years old when he took that last walk. I was 18 and I looked for him for weeks.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....something how those dumb little edit get into our hearts. Sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing in the world like coming home to a good dog.

Last edited by wannadiesel; 07-16-2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: site rules violation
Old 07-16-2006, 10:57 AM

Sorry to hear that PW

~Rob
Old 07-16-2006, 11:53 AM

Sorry to hear the news Pistol. I may soon be dealing with that myself. My old girl Jasmine is 16 now... it's only a matter of time. Last dog I lost I had to take 3 days off of work to compose myself. Dogs truely are mans best friend.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:57 AM

Pistol, we had to put down one of Mom and Dad's dogs about 2 months ago, she was having trouble breathing and they diagnosed congestive heart failure. Losing a part of the family, whether 2 legs or 4 hurts like hell.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

Red face

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I am not a terribly religious person, but I like the "Rainbow Bridge".

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
Old 07-16-2006, 02:33 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, sorry to hear about Flash...
We have one that is getting old and artheritic and I know the day is coming that either e will go on his own or I may have to put him down due to pain. Gonna be real hard either way.
I'll tip one in memorium this evening...
Old 07-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
My Condolences PW, a good dog is a whole lot more than just a pet, they even love us old crusty NCO's I have a grey faced Black Lab here myself that I know will be taking that walk himself before too long
Old 07-16-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry PW, I know how you feel. I lost my little buddy a couple months back. I still think he is going to meet me at the door when I get home.

Ed
Old 07-16-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that PW.
It's tough losing a 4 legged friend....

MikeyB
Old 07-16-2006, 10:43 PM

I appreciate the kind thoughts ... I toasted him a tall one and said my goodbyes.

PISTOL

Quick Reply: Flash the Wonder Bassett is gone ...