Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

FISHIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FISHIN!!

Hey all you fishermen out there in DTR land i am buying a new rod and reel setup this year what are you guys using and what would you recommend! I will be doing all kinds of FISHIN mainly bass fishing though. Should i go with a baitcast this time or keep the spinning reel?? Thanks!!<br>Ian
Old 03-16-2003, 06:09 PM

Re:FISHIN!!

I havn't done too much shopping for rods but I've been very happy with my shimano spirex reel and my berkley series one rod for the last 5 years ......all I do is pickerel and pike fishing though<br><br><br>I've never tried a baitcaster, but a friend of mine who uses one swears by em
Old 03-16-2003, 07:03 PM

I've had the best luck with DuPont spinners
Old 03-16-2003, 09:17 PM

OK boys..........lets see some fishin' licenses ;D
Old 03-16-2003, 09:47 PM

Gosh I have never adapted to a bait castin reel . I use a spinning reel for everything except for the ocean . Well I do have a few reels for fly fishing , but rarely use them. I will be getting broken in on Bass this year with the neighbor doing the guiding. Ten Mile lakes up the road is supposed to be the Bass lakes here in Oregon. So instead of just Trout, sturgon, Striped Bass, Salmonoids and ocean species , I will have something new to fish for.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:52 PM

Did some ice fishing this weekend at my cabin. The ice was only 4 feet thick! Anyone want to drive a full semi on the ice? 8)
Old 03-16-2003, 10:41 PM

Bass fishin?!?

PTOOIE!

Nothing like using my Daiwa spinning rod/abu garcia reel and catching myself some nice rainbows or Kokanee (land locked salmon) trolling a Bob Knight lure. ;D I get a (reel) good laugh outta those tv shows outta the southern states where the guys spend thousands on fancy Bass boats, gear and equipment only to fiddle around with 3lb Bass and Perch
Now, granted...there ARE some perty decent size Catfish down there in them thar swamps....but if it's GOOD fishing you crave....with Dozens of different species, you must venture north of the border. ;D
Old 03-17-2003, 03:18 AM

[quote author=goldenears link=board=10;threadid=12354;start=0#116857 date=1047876068]<br>Bass fishin?!? <br><br>PTOOIE! <br><br>Nothing like using my Daiwa spinning rod/abu garcia reel and catching myself some nice rainbows or Kokanee (land locked salmon) trolling a Bob Knight lure. ;D I get a (reel) good laugh outta those tv shows outta the southern states where the guys spend thousands on fancy Bass boats, gear and equipment only to fiddle around with 3lb Bass and Perch <br>Now, granted...there ARE some perty decent size Catfish down there in them thar swamps....but if it's GOOD fishing you crave....with Dozens of different species, you must venture north of the border. ;D<br>[/quote]<br>Well I spose 3lb is little, but on a ultra light rig it is sure fun ! !<br>Catfish -I agree sorta, but the ones I caught in the Missisippi all tasted kinda muddy. Now, Rainbows are fun, however I go for the Steelhead variety now, as they run a little larger,&quot;&quot;&quot;&quot;&quot;&quot;and speaking of larger, Ocean Salmon season opened Saturday so if the seas subside so I can get my lil boat offshore, I will be after some King Salmon. Its usualy not hard to get one hooked , however reeling him in before the sea lions eat him is the challenge. Cmon ORCAS !!!! <br>Fishing is not number 1 priority.;;;;;;; but its darn close !!!
Old 03-17-2003, 06:43 AM

Walleyes!!!!!!!!!!! <br>
Old 03-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the Curado reels made by Shimano. I used to use just about any bait casting reel (open faced...level wind...whatever you want to call them) I could get my hands on. Then I forked out the money for a Curado and now I'm spoiled. Shimano makes an EXCELLENT reel...and the Curado is one of my favorites.