Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Firewood question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firewood question

A neighbor of mine had several acres of land cleared and has several cords of oak firewood stacked up he is giving me just to haul it off. The guy that cut it wasn't real particular about the length. It ranges from 1 to 3 ft. although most is close to 18". I'm gonna rent a splitter after I get a few more loads hauled to my place and sell what I can. My question is: About what should the ratio be of the split wood to the smaller logs like 3 or 4 inches on down?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The bigger the better. Small stuff burns quick. Small stuff is good for starting so go from there.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

3 to 4 inches, I usually burn whole.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boiler-rat
A neighbor of mine had several acres of land cleared and has several cords of oak firewood stacked up he is giving me just to haul it off. The guy that cut it wasn't real particular about the length. It ranges from 1 to 3 ft. although most is close to 18". I'm gonna rent a splitter after I get a few more loads hauled to my place and sell what I can. My question is: About what should the ratio be of the split wood to the smaller logs like 3 or 4 inches on down?
ah, now were talkin my business

this all depends on what it will be burnt it in and how seasoned it is. i cut 175 cords this last year and took it to a lodge thats here close and they wanted it all 16 inches and if you couldnt reach your hands around it, it was to big. This year (2007) i plan on getting another contract and ill be cutting 500 cords....

Like is it going to be burnt in a fireplace or in a furnace? if its a fireplace, the smaller the better. It will be easier to handle, and youll be able to control it better. But if your going to burn it in a furnace, split it bigger. Just find out who wants wood and ask them what they need. Thats how i sell to individuals. They know me and they call me and give me an order. And i usually have it out that day....
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM

I guess I should have made myself more clear. What I am wanting to know is when I make up 1/2 cords or cords or whatever, how much of the smaller whole logs should I mix with the split wood?
Added this edit after I read Wannadiesels post. I'm in south Texas so it will be burned in fireplaces winter Texans chimaneas! But like Wannadiesel said, I guess the best thing is to ask when they call what they want.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Registered

ah i understand. (yall folks that deal in face cords and 1/2 cords confuse me LOL)

i dont deliever ANY round sticks. the lodge i sell too broke me of that in a hurry. They say they can roll out of the fire and catch the cabin on fire so every thing that i sell as been split at least once.

Now i dont think that will be much of a concern with you. Wood is wood. how much round wood do you have? might do like a 1/4 of it round and the rest split. The round wood lasts longer in the fire, but harder to start....
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool! I get credit for stuff I didn't even say!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
LOL thats what i was thinking....
Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The all knowing mahawannadiesel.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmmm... I might have to change my handle - Mahawannadiesel has quite a ring to it.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
i dont deliever ANY round sticks.
My dad had a wood stove for heat. EVERYTHING gets split once. The little stuff is used for relighting from coals/turning the "thermostat" up a hair/supplementing the bigger pieces. If it is less than about 3 inches in diameter it is used for burning outside. He burns about 10 cords a year in the house.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
My dad had a wood stove for heat. EVERYTHING gets split once. The little stuff is used for relighting from coals/turning the "thermostat" up a hair/supplementing the bigger pieces. If it is less than about 3 inches in diameter it is used for burning outside. He burns about 10 cords a year in the house.
10 cords?!?! holy crap! in a house?! thats crazy LOL
Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

That's a guess. Burns it 24 hours a day pretty much every day for 4-5 months...

He splits some of it smaller than I would, I think that increases his usage. And the house is 2700 square feet, the stove is his primary heat.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
That's a guess. Burns it 24 hours a day pretty much every day for 4-5 months...

He splits some of it smaller than I would, I think that increases his usage. And the house is 2700 square feet, the stove is his primary heat.
yeah, we have a lindal outdoor furnace. It is our primary heat. Dad said hes burned as much as 20 rick in it a year. (24" wood, the bigger the better)
Old 12-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

His is the regular old franklin stove.

Quick Reply: Firewood question