Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Final Reminder- Xtreme 4x4 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter T., Banks Power

Peter,

Hopefully you will respond to our questions on Monday since we all patronized your invitation to watch the show.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Banned

I liked the Cute blonde girl Jessy or whatever her name was installing the High-Ram intake and wiring in for the VGT turbo controller..oh, yeah she also put in the exhaust too..man,now that is a woman..who actually knew what she was doing and talking about!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:00 AM

I watched the show yesterday on Spike Tv.. I listened as Gale Banks explained how with this unit it would make 500 hp and NO EGT issues. And top it off the only thing they did to the tranny was install a new torque convertor..
I would what the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fact will be with this little upgrade...

Rick
Old 03-07-2005, 11:26 AM

I like how Gale EXPLAINS everything to the max...It even made my GF which is totally engine-challenged figure it out.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:00 PM

OT-OF-Here,
The electronic controller for the turbo is designed so that it can operate as a standalone. For this prototype for the TV show, it was easiest for us to interface with the Six-Gun electronics since many of the signals that we needed were already present in the Six-Gun wiring. The intercooler inlet and outlet are definitely larger than stock. The stock intercooler inlet, outlet and boost tubes are nominally 3” in outside diameter, the Banks pieces are about 3.5”. The intercooler and High-Ram combination increases air density by about 10%, which means that power can be increased by about that much while maintaining the same EGT. For example, lets say that I have a tuner, any tuner on my truck, and it EGT limits at 1300 degrees. Then I add a 4” exhaust. The removal of the restriction in the exhaust system will allow more fuel to be put in and therefore make more power at the same 1300 degree limit. Then I add the intercooler and High-Ram. The added air density over my last setup will allow more fuel to be added and more power produced at the same EGT limit. I think many people assume that increasing the air density alone on a diesel engine is sufficient to increase power, but the fuel must be added to take full advantage of the additional power. I hope that helps answer your question about power increase with the intercooler. It really depends on a lot of other factors.

Smokeitup,
We are not currently planning to go as far back as the 12-valves, but you never know, if enough 12-valve owners express interest, we could make the decision to do it.

Fronty Owner,
I have never known of a condition where the air temps would be too cold to be effective once the engine coolant has some temperature in it. When we run at Bonneville, we intercool with ice water to maximize air density.

joefarmer and hotdram,
I don’t know where those types of errors come from. It frustrates me.

Peter Treydte
Banks Power
Old 03-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, Brandon. Nice to know which temps the ECM is seeing to control the heaters.

jh
Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 AM

banks builds quality products that operate in a safe egt and boost ranges, but most everyone on here wants more power for their money. banks products are very high priced compared to piers, haisley and mitchell too. i'm not trying to knock banks they have made diesels very popular. i would like to see them put a puller out ther to compete with the big dogs like haisley, mitchell and crowder. i would also like to see that little dakota sidewinder beat prince in his 1TON DOGE RAM in the 1/4 mile
Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
But the Banks Sidewinder Dakota does hold the current Land Speed Record for trucks @ 222 mph.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 PM

what if prince took out his 4:10 gears and put in a set of 2:?? i'm sure he would be able to reach 200mph. rpm is what holds diesels back from hitting high speeds and i don't think that sidewinder is turning more than 6000-7000 rpm