Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ffa

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ffa

Was anyone here a member of FFA (or the National FFA Organization in latter years) in highschool? if so did you hold any office?
i was in all 4 years of highschool. chapter reporter my junior year.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

I was in it for 3 years in highschool. Never did run for office though. I do miss it.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was. I served as Advisor my sophomore year (not sure how a sophomore can be "older than the rest of you", but I still held the spot), Vice President my junior year and President my senior year. I also ran for Area Sentinel but wasn't elected. I went to the Texas state convention all four years in high school but never participated at a national level. I was also a member of the Texas A&M Collegiate Chapter my freshman & sophomore year at A&M, but never ran for office.

Great organization. I hope my kids are in it some day.

It's funny...just the other day I saw my old FFA jackets hanging in the closet. Of course, they don't fit anymore.

Does "sophomore" have two o's or three??
Old 09-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hoss
I was. I served as Advisor my sophomore year
our advisors were always the ag teachers
Old 09-18-2006, 11:49 AM

I was in FFA for all 4 years of High School and served as the Sentinal for 2 years. My oldest boy just started his freshman year and did his first field trip with the FFA group.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by derek840378
our advisors were always the ag teachers
Officially, our Ag teachers were our advisors, but for some reason my chapter always elected an Advisor from the members too. When I was Advisor I always left out the part in the opening ceremony where it said "being older than the rest of you". Didn't make sense...
Old 09-18-2006, 12:15 PM

American Degree Receipient here! Also have State Degree (of course) Served as Sentinel my Junior year, and as Chapter Development Officer my Sophmore and Senior years...an office where you do lots of odd jobs, and take care of any Community service related activites.

I was running for President my Senior year...but the lady teacher in our chapter didn't like me at all. In our chapter, the Senior class elects the next years officers...after that meeting, I had 25 people come up and appologize to me. She wouldn't let them elect me President or Vise-President, just one of our "made-up" offices. Just as well though, I could do more help to the Chapter by doing thing in the background instead of dealing with that woman directly all the time

Our Advisor always said "Being Elected by the rest of you" Sounded better!

I kinda miss being in the FFA, lots of good times, and some good activites!
Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 PM

I was a prime candidate for FFA being I ws raised on a farm, and worked for farmers all my high school life after school when football was not going on, but only joined my senior year. I represented my school at the state convention. That year I won the regional tractor driving competition which consisted of tractor driving and mechanical apititude tests on tractors, then choked at state competition to finish 9th. I was in second after the mechanical aptitude test, and all i had to do was drive, I thought I had it locked up. They hooked the tractor to a seeder or something with a tongue 15' long or so, never backed anything with a tongue that long...Look out cones...
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 PM

I was in it all 4 years of high school, my older cousin told me to take the class and join, so I did. The teacher I had my freshman year of high school was the same teacher who taught my dad and nearly all my family. Junior year I was elected secretary(geez, and I cant even write very neatly), and my senior year I was elected "Junior Advisor," kind of like what Hoss was talking about. However, I never did parli pro, because I was the best person on our forestry team my junior and senior years.

What competitions did y'all compete in? I did soils, forestry, tools, and a couple others, dont have the coat up here at college to look at the little metal badge things. Forestry was my favorite, we always did OK, I had top highest score at every competition except for state(placed 3rd highest freshman year and something like 5th my senior year), our problem was we had other people on the team who acted like they didnt care. I would be outside during ag class looking at trees, memorizing them, and most of the time my teammates wouldnt care.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Yeah, those teachers seem to stick around a while...My dad started in 1968, and my brother started in 2002...the same teacher had the both!! 36 years and 31 members of our family...I'm suprised he was still sane after all that

I judged Meats, Soils, and did a little Agronomy. I was also on the Parlimentary Procedure team, and did Tractor Troubleshooting and Small Engines! I was also our Farm Manager a couple years...they figured since we supplied all the machinery (Farm Machinery Business) I might as well be the farm manager

I was also a runner up in the State Ag Sales Proficency area...my Brother went all the way to Nationals!

Chris
Old 09-18-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Greenhornet1986
What competitions did y'all compete in?
Soils, horse judging, parliamentary procedures team, livestock judging, skills team (don't remember what it was really called but basically we had to demonstrate a knowledge of certain types of skills), extemporaneous speaking, creed speaking (where you recite the creed and a few other things)...probably a few others that I'm not thinking of.

We had a good horse judging team. We went to the state competion two of the four years I was on it. Fun stuff!!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:02 PM

only 2 years never held office but was on the radio team!!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Just thought I'd bring this back up, is anybody on here still in the FFA going to the national convention? I'm up here till saturday, just a see of blue across Indianapolis. 55,000 people is what they're saying
Old 10-25-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We didnt hasve FFA in Hominy America where I grew up but in the thriving metropolis of Skiatook where my wife lived they did. My wife was in FFA all four years of highschool She showed pigs all 4 years and had Grand Champion in the Tulsa county show. She was also on the dairy products judging team winning second in state individually and sixth with her team on the national level. Her freshman and sophomore years she was the FFA Sweet heart two years consecutively. and served as the Vice Pres. her junior and senior years.
She also got the State FFA degree and the American FFA degree when she was in they just called it the State Farmer and the American Farmer. I guess Ive bragged enough I'm kinda proud of my wife if you couldn't tell.

Hopefully my daughter Hanna will be interested in following moms footsteps.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, I was in. I think I was the bouncer my first year. Made it up to vice my senior year, but I did not get to finish out the year because I greaduated early.

Lots of fun...

Quick Reply: Ffa