Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The fear of calling in sick

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
WOW! Thats great! I get 13 days period! My sick time is my vacation time, and my vacation time is my sick time, if that makes sense. I made the decision last week that I'm done @ this job and I'm starting to look for a new one.
Same for me except I only get 10

What's the name of that old Johnny Paycheck song??!?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Same for me except I only get 10

What's the name of that old Johnny Paycheck song??!?
Take this job and shove it.

I understand how you feel buckshot. I got an eye infection after having my job for a little over 2 weeks. I had surgery about two months after that. So I've had this job for only 3 months and have to have surgery. Since my surgery my immune system is completely screwed up. I went from being the guy who never calls in to someone my boss views as an abuser of sick time. I NEVER call in on mondays or fridays. I've been sick for two weeks and have only taken a day and a half off. My dad works for the same people in another town and HE had to take 3 days off because I got him sick too. He never takes off and I get a guilt trip when I get back for a day and a half. My boss actually abuses her sick leave, but she's the boss so it's OK. I have tried VERY hard to make her happy and do the best job I can, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I have now been here for 10 months and am looking for something else. Plus I HAVE to pay for 15 hours of school, so I HAVE to go full time now, which means no more full time job. It just sucks trying to find another that has around the same pay when you work all day. I work in IT so you wouldn't think it would be difficult. Part time jobs just don't pay enough . The saddest part is when I found out I got the job I was SO excited about having a REAL job that required me to THINK. Boy was I wrong. Well, if you count trying to make my boss happy by playing stupid corporate games then I guess I get to think. My boss will tell me to do something a certain way and if somebody complains about the way I do things she says she never told me to do it that way... Sorry for the long rant, I just know how you feel and wonder why this seems to be so common...

EDIT: If I hear "you're really good at your job, it's just the little things you can't seem to get right" I'm going to (in the words of Melton from Office Space) "burn this place down"
Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK

My boss actually abuses her sick leave, but she's the boss so it's OK.
I've noticed this myself! It seems if your boss is sick, it's like the end of the world for them and nobody can dare say a word about it!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
I've noticed this myself! It seems if your boss is sick, it's like the end of the world for them and nobody can dare say a word about it!
I have no more sick days, so I'm at work sick right now...sombody shoot me..

I also get lectured because I don't put supervisor's problems in front of others. Her words were "I'm friends with them so I try to help them out." Well, I'm not so I don't put anybody ahead of anybody else.

I work in IT and my boss doesn't do any troubleshooting anymore. I have gotten into trouble for not "troubleshooting correctly" and in the same lecture she'll tell me she's been out of doing troubleshooting so long she doesn't know how WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE???
Old 09-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

just go to work, and about 2 hours into the day, collapse on the floor and make them take you in an ambulance. during the 2 hours cough, sneeze, vomit, etc as much as possible. when you are told to just go home, respond with statement like," they need me here" "I dont want to be a burden" etc. they will probably make you leave.

take the days, get well, the heck with them