Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The fear of calling in sick

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Most employeers group anyone calling in sick with the hundreds of employees who call in repetedly with the Monday-Morning flu.
I havent used a sick day in 22 years (knock on wood) so if I REALLY get sick, I'd tell the boss to go ahead stop by so he can catch whatever I've got.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDaze
Mail them the extra foot of your colon.

Rich.
Thanks Rich
Old 09-11-2006, 09:34 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Most employeers group anyone calling in sick with the hundreds of employees who call in repetedly with the Monday-Morning flu.
I havent used a sick day in 22 years (knock on wood) so if I REALLY get sick, I'd tell the boss to go ahead stop by so he can catch whatever I've got.
That is why we have the "cant extend a weekend" policy that is enforceable at the managers descretion... hence, Im extending my weekend this morning by a half day because Im gonna be on a plane all freaking night.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Banned

Dang, Buckshot, sounds like you have almost as many mods as your truck! Don't fret, and take it easy. Life is too short to work all the dang time. And you can send them your extra colon, (that comment is funny I don't care who you are) but just don't post a pic!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Dang, Buckshot, sounds like you have almost as many mods as your truck! Don't fret, and take it easy. Life is too short to work all the dang time. And you can send them your extra colon, (that comment is funny I don't care who you are) but just don't post a pic!
..... .....
Old 09-11-2006, 02:52 PM

For my first 23+ years, the company I work for would graciously allow us off for Dr's appt's or sickness, etc. and would rarely balk...
Now, in the last 3 yrs, I MUST make up lost time (within the same pay week) for a Dr's appt or short illness or such.. If I can't make it up, or even if an appt. opening or an elective procedure is scheduled during the mid-morning, the browbeating and guilt trip we are subjected to just makes my jaws clench.
This is all the result of letting a few bad apples ruin a good thing for the rest of us that didn't abuse the system. I've never understood how punishing 185+ people for the flagrant sins of 4 or 5 people is supposed to be right...

K.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

my boss gives me more crap about only having 39 hours and 45 minutes in a normal week than taking off 3 days for a moderate sickness (flu and strep throat). and let me add that when i have 39:45, i only turn in 39 hours rather than try to cheat the company out of the extra 15 minutes.

but the best excuse to call in is with **** glaucoma...i cant see my "butt" coming to work today!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:43 PM
jka

Buckshotmckee.....Take it easy, your not a sicktime abuser so if you need the time off, take it. If you have a family they need you healthy. Don't put some company ahead of your own health, it's not worth it.

I used to worry about stuff like that too but the older I get the more I realize how important staying healthy is.

There's that saying "WE work so that we can live, we don't live so that we can work"

Stay....
Old 09-12-2006, 09:36 PM

I was shocked yesterday! Not 1 for call from work! This is a 1st for me. But, I did have a nice long talk with my boss this morning.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:56 AM

Buckshot....think of it this way...if you don't call in sick during times like this you may not be around to go to work anyway. You need to take care of yourself first. When you're nearing the end of your long life and you reflect back on your years do you really think you are going to say, "Man, I wish I would have spent more time at work!" -Like someone else already mentioned, life is too short to worry about this.

You are obviously the model employee. If you get fired for calling in sick when you're really sick, then you didn't need to work for that company anyway. They should be worried about you quitting not the other way around.

Take care of yourself!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 AM

My boss never questions anyone when they take a sick day. Most of the time, everyone just emails the boss from home as we all have access to work at home.

We are all salaried so no screwing around with not being at the desk 40 hours a week. We also do work at home that makes up for leaving early or whatever.

The time off at my employer is very generous. 3 weeks vacation to start and 4 weeks after 6 years. Also, one personal day and 2 weeks sick time. Unused sick time accumulates in an income bank that can be used for a long illness (over a week).

Brian Elfert
Old 09-13-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by belfert
The time off at my employer is very generous. 3 weeks vacation to start and 4 weeks after 6 years. Also, one personal day and 2 weeks sick time. Unused sick time accumulates in an income bank that can be used for a long illness (over a week).

Brian Elfert
WOW! Thats great! I get 13 days period! My sick time is my vacation time, and my vacation time is my sick time, if that makes sense. I made the decision last week that I'm done @ this job and I'm starting to look for a new one.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Off subject a little but try reading The Makers Diet by Jordan Rubin it helped me a lot and I think it may do you some good also . I have a illness I have been fighting for years and because I needed to take some time off to heal even after many years of perfect attendance Ford Motor company forced me into medical retirement . The disability discrimination act is not worth the paper it is wrote on , unless you are a minority around here . I went from working 60 to 70 hours a week to retired in less than 30 days with Ford about 12 years ago . They seen my legs were giving me trouble so they put me on a job with lots of walking because I had no medical restrictions at that time . After being hauled out in a ambulance a few times my doctors made me take a minimum walking restriction at work and the door , after 20 years was the next stop . I hope you make out better than I did , but on good note that is when I stopped buying Fords and went to Dodge , the money I have saved in repair costs since the switch makes retirement life a lot more livable .
Old 09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I used to work for a guy that would send someone to your house to check if you called in sick. He was also stupid enought to come up with the idea to eliminate sick day abuse, he changed everyones days to "Personal Days". All it did was remove everyones guilt, and caused more people to take days.

I guess I'm smarter than him, because i don't work there anymore.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by John Halter
Off subject a little but try reading The Makers Diet by Jordan Rubin it helped me a lot and I think it may do you some good also . I have a illness I have been fighting for years and because I needed to take some time off to heal even after many years of perfect attendance Ford Motor company forced me into medical retirement . The disability discrimination act is not worth the paper it is wrote on , unless you are a minority around here . I went from working 60 to 70 hours a week to retired in less than 30 days with Ford about 12 years ago . They seen my legs were giving me trouble so they put me on a job with lots of walking because I had no medical restrictions at that time . After being hauled out in a ambulance a few times my doctors made me take a minimum walking restriction at work and the door , after 20 years was the next stop . I hope you make out better than I did , but on good note that is when I stopped buying Fords and went to Dodge , the money I have saved in repair costs since the switch makes retirement life a lot more livable .
That sux John!

I'm pretty fortunate on my end with my health issue. The VA has stepped up and taken responsability for my stomach problems. I had some problems when I was in, and because of that they have taken care of me which I am VERY greatful for.

Quick Reply: The fear of calling in sick