Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The fear of calling in sick

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The fear of calling in sick

I was just wondering who else out there gets nothing but grief when calling in sick. Every job that I've worked I have always gotten nothing but grief when I call in sick. I'm not one to call in sick, but when I do, I'm usually in the hospital or just gotten out. I have diverticulitous real bad and I have to take anti-biotics on a regular basis, pretty much a lifetime prescription. About 2 years ago one of the pockets ruptured an it was almost terminal. Then after I recovered, approx 2 months later they took a foot of my colon. I've had a pretty bad go around this weekend with this stuff, and on top of if I've been fighting the flu. So I've decided to call in sick tomorrow to take an extra day to try and recover. I'm just dreading the guilt trip, 3rd degree I'm probably going to get.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Just tell them if they have any questions you will be happy to submit a letter from your Doctor AND your Attorney respectively
Old 09-10-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You've earned a day off. You know you are not taking a day off to play.

You will make a better employee come Tuesday after you rest another day.

Don't feel guilty.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM

I did that once Top, where I got a doctor note and I got 3 days off. That didn't get over to well either. I don't like being away from work that long, being sick. I drive the wife and kids crazy. There not use to it.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

They call it personal time, you just cant use it to extend a weekend.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's people like you who are assets to the economy! People who want to go to work, even with their internals growing new organs.

People like me, on the other hand, have no problems staying home from work for excuses as significant as "I didn't want to", "work sucks", "I'm too lazy", or "I was too tired because I was up all night watching Junkyard Wars".

Then again, the most valuble object I own is a 1990 Dodge turbo-Diesel with 300,000 miles...
Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
Then again, the most valuble object I own is a 1990 Dodge turbo-Diesel with 300,000 miles...
How about your computer?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geico266
How about your computer?
That's third, right behind the fuel in the truck at any given moment.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
It's people like you who are assets to the economy! People who want to go to work, even with their internals growing new organs.
Thanks Begle! I think???
Old 09-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Chapter President

Don't feel any guilt....the place probably won't shut down without you. I think they like you to have a guilt trip, like your letting them down, but don't. If something happened they'd fill your spot no questions and probably would not look back. I call in sick and twice this year cause I had something else I wanted to do, not even sick. But then again, I don't get paid by the hour or salary.....I like to work...just not for free.

Take the time, forget about the place Buckshot...take care of yourself first cause you have a family that needs you more than the company.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
Don't feel any guilt....the place probably won't shut down without you. I think they like you to have a guilt trip, like your letting them down, but don't. If something happened they'd fill your spot no questions and probably would not look back. I call in sick and twice this year cause I had something else I wanted to do, not even sick. But then again, I don't get paid by the hour or salary.....I like to work...just not for free.

Take the time, forget about the place Buckshot...take care of yourself first cause you have a family that needs you more than the company.
True. Take care of yourself.

I know the feeling however. It's like murder with my company wanting to take more than four days off after working almost a month straight or longer. Screw 'em. I'm just starting to learn that. I've got a busted up hand from this last hitch and I'll be darned if they're getting me back before it's ready. They won't be bothered if I go back and it's screwed the rest of my life.

My Dad put to me this way yesterday. If you quit, they won't remember you in 10 minutes. I wish it were different, but I'm starting to believe him.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:54 PM

Hey bud

If there is a problem and you are not 100% then NO GO!

Do not even waste your time worrying about it!! I f you have a track record and have a problem then your employer will understand. If they don't I could always use some help!

Rick
Old 09-10-2006, 11:45 PM

I agree with you Buckshot, I absolutely hate calling into work sick. Although I havent taken any sick days at work, I called in one time, and talked to my manager, he told me if I wanted to make money this week, I need to be there, so I was there, feeling like crap warmed over. Good luck to you, and hope you get feeling 100%.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 AM

Buck , in CA.... remember your employer can't even ask you why or what your sick from when you call in. or he or she should not be asking you why your calling in.its part of the privacy act. they can ask for a doctor excuse after 3 days and even then they can not ask you what your sick from. Just remember family comes first and to take care of family you have to be healthy.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Just tell them if they have any questions you will be happy to submit a letter from your Doctor AND your Attorney respectively
Mail them the extra foot of your colon.

Rich.

Quick Reply: The fear of calling in sick