Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Father/Son Projects

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Father/Son Projects

. . . . . and the daughters too.

What do you do to keep the bonds strong? Fishing? Watching the races?

When my boy was 13 to 15 years old, like many his age, he was (and still is) into LowRider cars and trucks. Like most that age, money's hard to come by and dreams are big. Ya gotta work with what you have.

He had a bicycle though . . . . .

Larger Image Here

It amounts to a bunch of stick welded EMT conduit. 350 small-block valve springs support the front and back forks. Button/Tuck crushed velvet banana seat on a sprung sissy-bar. 26" rims with Gangster white walls. Etc .. .. .

It was fun to build with him. We learned a lot together. He's since won quite a few awards in some car shows who ran a bike class.

So what do you good folks do with your young'uns?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did he build that bike?

I raised 3 daughters. We went fishing alot until they got into jr. high, then it was sports, band, friends, & stuff. We just supported what they wanted to do. I think that is the key, what interests them.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:07 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
Did he build that bike?
We built it together based on his hand-drawn design. I pressed him to stay away from the commonly had chrome crap found in the back of the magazines. Be different.
We just bent up some thin-wall EMT conduit and stick welded it together. As far as the frame goes, the only true "From a bike part" is the lower fork of the rear axle. It's actually the front fork of a mountain bike. We used it for the cantilever brakes.
There's about two and a half standard bicycle chains linked together. We used the spring tension thing found on most standard five speed derailers to keep the slack side taught as the rear-end suspension worked.

. . .. . . it took a while.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad and I golfed, hunted, went fourwheeling, built adirondack chairs, worked around the house, pretty much anything and everything. My mom and I rode horses together. I still do that stuff with them and I'm almost 21 and in college and have my own life.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
We built it together based on his hand-drawn design. I pressed him to stay away from the commonly had chrome crap found in the back of the magazines. Be different.
We just bent up some thin-wall EMT conduit and stick welded it together. As far as the frame goes, the only true "From a bike part" is the lower fork of the rear axle. It's actually the front fork of a mountain bike. We used it for the cantilever brakes.
There's about two and a half standard bicycle chains linked together. We used the spring tension thing found on most standard five speed derailers to keep the slack side taught as the rear-end suspension worked.

. . .. . . it took a while.
Dude! Keep building stuff! Who knows maybe you'll have your own TV show building lowryder bikes! I'm serious!

Buies Creek Choppers
Old 06-04-2006, 03:41 AM

What an awesome thread !!!

I don't get to do anything with my young un's right now but when I did, we fished, scuba dived, beachcombed, hunted, went 4-wheeling, camping and just hung out. I can't wait to be able to do that stuff again ... only this time we will make it happen more often .

PISTOL
Old 06-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son (Joshua David) and I worked on cars and trucks since he was in diapers, remodeled the house, put a new roof on the house with a 12 - 12 pitch with seven gable ends when he was about 10 years old, rode four wheelers, remodeled the house again, worked on cars and trucks, and then he found girls. He got married, had a son of his own (Joshua Alexander or The Zander man as they call him), and now grandpa is working on stocking up grandson with guns since I only have one or two laying around.
He just turned 23 last month and now him and I are kinda working on building a 73 Dart and trying to keep the old 81 Dodge half ton on the road for a few more years. Other than rolling the brand new Neon I bought him for Christmas in 1998, with 7000 miles on it, he has been a very good kid. I never laid a hand on him while he was growing up. He knew when I raised my voice to a certain level, which can get pretty loud at times, he was going off path and it was time to get back on. Never involved with the law, doesn't drink or smoke, has a good job and is a working fool. He don't like to set around, he is a worker. I'm pretty proud of the way he turned out.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
My dad and I golfed, hunted, went fourwheeling, built adirondack chairs, worked around the house, pretty much anything and everything. My mom and I rode horses together. I still do that stuff with them and I'm almost 21 and in college and have my own life.

Somethin similar here

Dad and I still hunt, go to the firing range, work on his truck, my truck, and most of all, go rope and have some fun. I help him when i can, and hang out at his class (he teaches welding) when i have some time. So far as mom goes i spend time with her when i can..

Im 23 and still hang out with my parents. I find it kinda cool that they no longer see me as the "little" one anymore, even though i am the oldest, but it sort of transitioned to a partner type deal. I like hearing "what do you think?" alot more now, rather than hey, this is the way its gonna be..

This photo is still my desktop, and will probably always be, But i find it funny that it has more views than the ones of my truck...

Rick

Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Registered

dad and i hunt, fish, help each other out on the farm with his turkey houses an cattle and he helps me with my wood business.

we also built this:

for me
i of corse paid for it but he taught me alot on how to do body work and how to fab metal and weld and all that. Great experience
Old 06-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
dad and i hunt, fish, help each other out on the farm with his turkey houses an cattle and he helps me with my wood business.

we also built this:

for me
i of corse paid for it but he taught me alot on how to do body work and how to fab metal and weld and all that. Great experience
what year is the cab/truck? and if im not mistaken looks like the fairly common early 90's chevy stepside bed swap...looks really good on there, alot of guys have been using them lately on the older trucks
Old 06-04-2006, 03:25 PM

My oldest son and I didn't do near as much stuff together when he was young as we should have. We have always supported all our kids in extra curricular activities. Lots of plays, swim meets, band concerts, soccer games, Boy Scout campouts and such. They have always had jobs to do around the house. We have always expected a lot out of them and tried to teach them to be responsible. So far we are doing pretty good I think. Our oldest just graduated with Honors and she is getting a full ride to Graduate School except for room and board. The next looks like she is going to end up in about the same position in 2 years. My oldest son got his Eagle Scout this last year, just under the wire. He has since graduated HS and has joined the Army. He leaves for basic 13 June. Our 2 youngest spend lots of time outside with me when I'm home. I've taught them all to shoot and handle firearms responsibly. My oldest son and I have been rebuilding and old Honda CM400T that a friend of mine gave me. It's his bike he has been buying the parts etc. I don't care if we spend more on it than it's worth. It has been a really good time together in the garage. I recommend a project vehicle of some type to anyone with kids. But you have to make sure you let them do a lot of the work and not just watch Dad work.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered

It's a 57 truck on a 77 frame, 94 bed with a 92 fuilie camaro motor with a 4 speed tranny with 3/4 ton drive train with a np205 transfercase, and disc brakes all the way around. Every peice rebuild as we put it together. We started it when I was 12, thinking I would be 16 by the time it was finshed, but we had it done in two years. I'm building an original bed for it right now I think it will look better that way. At the time we did the truck we didn't have a good set of bedrails for it, so we put the newer bed on it to have time to find some good ones. So then I got my ctd, and build it so I could have a truck to work out of. Little did I know that if I didnt have this truck I wouldn't need to work. It seems like that's where all my money goes
Old 06-04-2006, 05:59 PM

My dad and I do just about everything together, hunt fish, work on trucks, and go to the firehouse alot(he's the Chief), and we work on the farm together. The truck in my sig is a project that my grandpa and I have been working on for several years, and I really ejoyed it.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:05 PM

take mine too driving range trying to get him too 200 yards this year. im hitting between 225-300 yards aiming for 350+
Old 06-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02

we also built this:

for me
That is schweeet. I always thought those old Apache's were cool looking. You got everything timed just perfect. Good job.

Quick Reply: Father/Son Projects