Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Father/Daughter Talk!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Father/Daughter Talk!

Got this off the internet.

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age she considered herself to be a very Liberal Democrat and was for distribution of all wealth. She felt deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, which she expressed openly.

One day she was challenging her father on his beliefs and his opposition to higher taxes on the rich & the addition of more government welfare programs. Based on the lectures that she had participated in and the occasional chat with her professors, she felt that for years her father had obviously harbored an evil, even selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his. The self professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth, and she indicated so to her father.

He stopped her and asked her point blank, how she was doing in school. She answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain. That she studied all the time, never had time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many college friends because of spending all her time studying. That she was taking a more difficult curriculum.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your good friend Mary doing?" She replied, "Mary is barely getting by". She continued, "She barely has a 2.0 GPA", adding, "and all she takes are easy classes and she never studies." "But Mary is so very popular on campus, college for her is a blast, she goes to all the parties all the time and very often doesn't even show up for classes because she is too hung over."

Her father then asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your 4.0 GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0." He continued, "That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA. Certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's not fair! I worked really hard for mine. I did without and Mary has done little or nothing, she played while I worked real hard!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

John (DH)
Old 07-31-2004, 10:02 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
I really like that. Great analogy. Maybe I can use it somewhere.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL Try living in Rhode Island(88% democrats). It's amazing that so many people still believe anything "they" "D" say....
Old 07-31-2004, 10:23 AM

Great story! I'll definitely use that somewhere!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:51 PM

Excellent Excellent Excellent !!!! Never heard of that analogy either, it sure makes sense. Thanks,,, Rick
Old 07-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by odie2219
LOL Try living in Rhode Island(88% democrats). It's amazing that so many people still believe anything "they" "D" say....
Hmmm... I'm about to move to RI. I thought Newport would be fairly conservative. It will be for me, at least, I'll be spending a year at the Naval War College.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:51 PM

Joel,
I have a buddy who is going to be at the War College this month. However, off base, "Newport" is Kennedy Country, it's absolutely disgusting
Odie

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2004, 09:35 AM

When I saw this, I just had to chime in.

We send our children to school at age 5 or so as empty vessels waiting to be filled with knowledge. Educators for the most part are liberals in leaning, by the very nature of the skill set required to pass along knowledge to others. So K-12 and then into higher education and we are surprised that kids are sort of left leaning. We teach them to care about others (nothing wrong with that) but don't seem to teach them that it is even more important to care about themselves.

There are a lot more liberals than conservatives in our youth, but as they begin to receive the BIG education that comes with the real world many realize the folly of blindly following an ideal and begin to question what they were taught.

This is why there are far more liberals aged 18 - 25 than there are when they reach 30 or so.

If we as a society defer the education of our children exclusively to the state-run agencies, why would we expect anything else?

Having said that, the story above is a good analogy, and one I will keep in mind.

It kind of goesa with the one about how stupid my father was when I was 18. By the time I was 25 his views and ideas were much better in my opinion. It was truly amazing to me how much he learned in only 7 short years.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 AM

Have to agree with greatwhite - my stingy parents managed to raise three boys, get us educated, and retire at 55 with two paid for houses while working in low-to-middle-income positions. The older I get the smarter my parents get......

As a MUCH older college student it still amazes me at the conversations I hear between classes and on the bus - you can tell the working students versus the ones with a free ride by their attitude in general and the way they view the world. The older students are much more conservative and much less likely to ascribe to the "cause-of-the-day" mentality that the fresh faces tend to get excited over.

Living life and trying to survive on your own will make you think about conservation in many forms. The way I see it, being liberal is kinda like art - both are OK if you have the money to enjoy them, just don't expect me to have to support either one.