Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Farming season has begun.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, Ya'll farm funny up there. I never have understood burning off stalks or stubble. That's something you never see down here. We need it for the compost and to help retain the moisture. Of course our dirt isn't that black either. That's an awfully clean farm truck.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by dieselJon
So, you bleed red dont ya?? I am about 4 hours from you, an hour from clinton.

Tractor running a little hot eh?

Jon
I will remain silent....
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which part, the hot tractor or the bleeding red??

Not gonna put you on the spot yet.

Jon
Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 AM

well if i understood you correctly, the bleeding red was talking about the farm use diesel and the hot tractor was talking about being red/IH
Old 04-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Bleeding red meant you like Case vs bleeding green if you like John Deere

Tractor IS hot, maybe too much?

Both kinds of tractors are nice, just I prefer Farmall over everything else. (Yes Farmall, not CaseIH)

Jon
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM

hey I recognize that truck. and thread title.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Can't believe you not done planting yet. We finished every thing yesterday, but it only totals to a little over a 100 arces of beans and corn. But my dad just has a small farm operation unlike some of the fields you probably have. Since all of our ground is very hilly with lots of obstacles we don't have many big fields. Everything is contured and we use no-till planters, plus our newest piece of equipment is from the 80's. Good luck on getting all your field work done.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 PM

yes hovi, im sure you do recognize all this...
Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Heck...We still have snow in my yard, been there since Sept. Its startin to go pretty quick, but temps are still dropping to hi 20's at night. That will soon end as the sun gets higher and we get over 20 hours off direct sun light. Puddles are freezing over at night which helps keep the skeeters down for the time being, but they are out in droves in the evening.
I dont like skeeters

Shortly I will have to deal with blackflies

I dont like them either
Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 PM

Here's what I did today:

Old 04-25-2007, 12:51 AM

i just hobby farm here in oregon have a forty acre chunk here and another eighty in central oregon all in hay. years back i would ride tractor for a family friend them fellow are like you daylite to daylite. just can't do that anymore. with all the biodiesel stuff going on and the ethanol hope you guys cash in on some of that.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Def a later planting season out west than NC were finshing up corn planting now and everything down this way is about all no-till now.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM

heck of a hail storm came thru this week and beat the blossoms off the fruit trees hope to get alittle for our home canning. where i live there are only a dozen farms that are 1000 acres or more in a ten mile radius . ground runs close to 10k and acre if it doesn't flood. still getting a flood of california folks can't blame them sell a house in san franciso area and buy big house and twenty acres here. alfalfa is up about 16 inches and timothey is about the same. hate to see it that tall this early won't have decent weather for a long time. most big boys raise grass seed , soft wheat , oats, red clover and crimson clover for seed. cattle are long gone mostly horses. and llama's. and the crowd that goes with it.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 PM

It has been busy here in Central Missouri the last 2 weeks. Heck, I have been delivering chemicals & liquid fertilizer for a week solid, 12-14 hours a day! Rained some yesterday but we where still able to spread. Had planters following right behind the spray trucks! Most of the corn is planted around here, several farmers planted several weeks ago west of us and then we had several days of wet weather with below freezing temps, they aren't too happy right now, maybe rotting in the ground! By the way I like the red tractors too!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:44 PM

We got a ton of beets in but things are just now really kickin in....i like the iowa pics reminds me of home are soil isnt quite as good but **** close here in the thumb of mich.

Quick Reply: Farming season has begun.....