Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Family vacation advice: (So Cal)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family vacation advice: (So Cal)

Hello all,

I sure could use some advice about a trip my wife and 11 year old son and I are planning. She wants to go to Universal Studios Hollywood, she thinks it will be alot of fun, I sure hope she is right!

So after a day of fun and excitement, there we are traveling to the San Diego Zoo, I have to admit I have always wanted to go there, I think it will be alot of fun, I sure hope I'm right!

If anyone has any advice about where to stay or not stay please let us know.

Also if you know of any other attractions we should see, please let us know.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

The Revenge Of The Mummy ride at Universal Studios kicks you-know-what.

Universal studios is worth about a day.

I'd probably plan for at least a day or two at Disneyland as well.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is worth another day.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Garden Grove right near Disneyland. It was $115/night with my wife's corporate discount. We thought it was a very nice hotel and really appreciated the full service breakfast bar. Well worth the money, in our opinion.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you're gonna have a great time. If you're coming down the SD Zoo, you might also consider the Wild Animal Park. It's set up like the African Plains, It's pretty fun. Or if you want more of the ocean thing, check out Sea World. BTW if you do the SD Zoo, you might also as well spend the day touring around Balboa Park. You'd like the Auto Museum and the AeroSpace Museum, or even tour the US Midway which is right on the harbor down town.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Are you flying or driving? If you're driving, I would head up the coast. You can see Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and then head up PCH (Highway 1) and see Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Francisco.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Wow thanks for the fast and informative reply's!

It's a sad world when I have to ask this question:

Do you locals think I should drive my truck or my wife's car? I don't want to sound paranoid but there seems to be alot of trucks getting stolen down near the border lately.

I would like to get some sleep at night, and it's gonna be hard for me to that when I keep thinking my truck is gonna get ripped off.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RankRam
Wow thanks for the fast and informative reply's!

It's a sad world when I have to ask this question:

Do you locals think I should drive my truck or my wife's car? I don't want to sound paranoid but there seems to be alot of trucks getting stolen down near the border lately.

I would like to get some sleep at night, and it's gonna be hard for me to that when I keep thinking my truck is gonna get ripped off.

Thanks!
I think it's up to you. Whether you're in the truck or a car, if a thief wants that vehicle, he's gonna try. It's not like all trucks get ripped or damaged around here. No one has ever messed with my truck. But I did have a built but basic looking '96 Jeep Cherokee that was stolen while I was sleeping. If you're that worried, when you park for an extended time, put out your injection relay under the hood.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Seeing from your sig that you're in Carson City, I'm not sure how used to heavy traffic you are. I'm a SoCal native, and can tell you that it takes me a while to get used to SoCal traffic every time I go back - though it's not that often anymore.

The truck, if you're not used to heavy traffic and narrow lanes, can get really wide on the freeways, etc.

Besides - I'm assuming your Wife's car gets better gas mileage, right?

Here's some more SoCal suggestions:

- Sea World San Diego
- The coast - either North OR South of L.A - though North is a bit nicer
- Knotts Berry Farm
- Disneyland - not too impressed with Disney's California Adventure section though
- Not just Universal Studios but Universal City Walk as well (just outside the Studio)

I'll think up some more - but I have to go make the Wife some dinner - later.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by RankRam
I sure could use some advice about a trip my wife and 11 year old son and I are planning.

Watch National Lampoon's Family Vacation, with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn; then, stay home and avoid the hassle.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:39 PM

Universal Studios is awesome, Like it was said above the City walk is great also, Any hotel right there would be nice.

If you are into fish and ocean animals, the Long Beach Aquarium would be awesome, usually good for about 4-6 hours, right there in Long beach is also the Queen Mary. I try to make it to the aquarium atleast once every other month. Also depending when you plan your trip... They are setting up for the Long Beach Grand Prix right now, it is like te secobd week of April, it is pretty cool to check that out if you are in the area!

In San Diego, you can get a two day pass to the Wild Animal park and The Zoo. I would definitely check out the Wild Animal Park if you have an extra Day to commit to it.

DisneyLand is fun if you can get there on an off day when it is not too busy, DownTown Disney is also really fun... although not as fun as the universal City Walk!

As far as car or truck. I cannot stand to drive around in a car here in So Cal. I feel much safer in my truck. I don' think you will have too much to worry about with theft. As long as you are at a reputable hotel you will be fine. I would definitely take the truck!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM

If you're going down to SD, everyone and their mother's has a big bro-dozer (an F350 with like a 20" lift) and the traffic is crazy, so the big truck will definetly help you push and shove a little bit! You gotta be aggressive while driving on the 5, the 15, the 405, the 8, the 101, or heck, anywhere in CA! Seaworld down in SD is fun too! They also have Legoland down there. Universal Studios is fun, lots of weirdos to gawk at and plenty to do! You could check out Venice Beach too, or head up north a little bit to Malibu and have a meal at Neptune's Net.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

We drove my wife's '05 Maxima to, from, and around SoCal without event last year. It's actually a pretty fun car to drive and gets better mileage than a CTD. A car will also be easier to manuever around in and far more parking opportunities will be available to you. The only reason I would take a truck on a trip would be if I needed 4WD capabilities or to haul or tow something.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I am just the opposite.

Nothing wears me out quicker than straining to see what is ahead, while sitting inches off the pavement in a low car.

I won't hardly drive a car to the post-office, let alone any distance.

We have six vehicles in the driveway and not a single car in the bunch.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Do what 00dog said. We go out almost every year, and fly into either LAX or San Fran, and go out the other
Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks again for the great posts!

I'm leaning toward taking the car. FWIW It's an 03 Nissan Altima with very low miles, because we never take it out of town. It's great running car and we should run it on the open road, so it will stay that way.

Please keep posting, they are very helpful!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Banned

Nobody has said this one yet, but my wife and I thought it was a BLAST, of course we are both big huge kids at heart. Medieval Times up in Anaheim right across from Knottsberry Farm is a really cool experience. It would be a really cool bonding thing with you and your son, as well. Both of you would be cheering for the same knight and eating all your food with your bare hands (no utensils are supplied!) and just defying all the etiquette mom has instilled on the two of ya! LOL Also, there are a couple cool places over near Point Loma (Old Point Loma Light House) and some stuff like the Navy aircraft carriers and such over at Coronado might be really cool to your boy too.

Quick Reply: Family vacation advice: (So Cal)